Understanding Leibniz Notation: A Physics History Lesson

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of Leibniz notation and the concept of infinitesimals in physics and mathematics. It is noted that the use of infinitesimals can lead to incorrect results, and the concept of limits was not used at the time. The book "Great Physicists" is also mentioned as a good resource for learning about the lives and achievements of famous physicists.
clarkie_49
Hi all,

While reading through physics history book, i en counted an attempt to show the very basics of Leibniz notation; the following is shown:

If
s = (1/2)gt^2, then
s + ds = (1/2)g(t + dt)^2
s + ds = (1/2)gt^2 + gtdt + (1/2)gdt^2, then because of the first line
ds = gtdt + (1/2)gdt^2

It then goes on to say (1/2)gdt^2 "can be ignored because it is so small". Obviously this is not really correct, and i was looking for a way to explain using limits. I came up with something, but it seems incorrect in some way?

If
ds = gtdt + (1/2)gdt^2, then
(ds/dt) = gt + (1/2)gdt . Let (ds/dt) = f, then
lim f {dt -> 0} = gt

However, the confusion is that this does not seem to imply
(ds/dt) = gt as is normally written; it seems to imply
lim f_{dt -> 0} = lim (ds/dt)_{dt -> 0} = gt

Can somebody please explain how Leibniz would have came to (ds/dt) = gt without "ignoring (1/2)gdt^2" ? Was the notion of a limit used back then?

Thanks in advance,

Brendan

Physics news on Phys.org
clarkie_49 said:
Hi all,

While reading through physics history book, i en counted an attempt to show the very basics of Leibniz notation; the following is shown:

If
s = (1/2)gt^2, then
s + ds = (1/2)g(t + dt)^2
s + ds = (1/2)gt^2 + gtdt + (1/2)gdt^2, then because of the first line
ds = gtdt + (1/2)gdt^2

It then goes on to say (1/2)gdt^2 "can be ignored because it is so small". Obviously this is not really correct, and i was looking for a way to explain using limits. I came up with something, but it seems incorrect in some way?

If
ds = gtdt + (1/2)gdt^2, then
(ds/dt) = gt + (1/2)gdt . Let (ds/dt) = f, then
lim f {dt -> 0} = gt

However, the confusion is that this does not seem to imply
(ds/dt) = gt as is normally written; it seems to imply
lim f_{dt -> 0} = lim (ds/dt)_{dt -> 0} = gt

Can somebody please explain how Leibniz would have came to (ds/dt) = gt without "ignoring (1/2)gdt^2" ? Was the notion of a limit used back then?

Thanks in advance,

Brendan
Two important points: this was a physics book and a history book. Neither one of those implies you are going to get a rigorous, modern derivation. Both Leibniz and Newton used what they called "infinitesmals" which had certain properties (if I recall correctly Leibniz and Newton gave their "infinitesmals" slightly different properties). Essentially infinitesmals (Bishop Berkeley famously referred to infinitesmals as "ghosts of vanished quantities") were very, very small quantities that could be "ignored" in respect to "normal quantities" but no in comparison to other infinitesmals. Squares of infinitesmals were another order of "smallness" (this is a hierachichal system) that could be dropped in comparison to infinitesmals. That is why x+ dx= x but (x+ dx)- x= dx is not 0.

No, limits were not used back then. It was conceptual problems with "infinitesmals" that led to the use of limits instead. Interestingly, recent work in symbolic logic has allowed mathematicians to define "infinitesmals" so that we can restore that method- that's "non-standard" analysis. We don't teach it in college courses because it requires, as I said, deep results from symbolic logic and "model theory" and it gives exactly the same results as calculus based on limits.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for your help HallsofIvy,

Once again this forum has been a great help! Your explanation was very good, particularly the part on powers being a "hierarchical system".

It's funny how things pop up; i have had Henley and Kleinberg's infinitesimal calculus on my amazon wish-list for a while now, though i did not plan to get the book or touch on the subject until i had completed multivariable calculus (semester 1, 2010). The approach seems very interesting, and i can't wait to read more about it.

On a side note, the physics history book in question is Great Physicists by William Cropper. I have not finished it yet, but so far it is very informative with regards to the physicists lives and achievements. It has plenty of maths in it (as opposed to some other similar books) and could be the physics equivalent of Journey through genius.

1. What is Leibniz notation and why is it important in physics?

Leibniz notation, also known as the "differential notation," is a mathematical notation used to represent derivatives and differentials in calculus. It is important in physics because it allows us to easily express and work with the rates of change and instantaneous quantities that are crucial in understanding physical phenomena.

2. Who was Gottfried Wilhelm Leibniz and what was his contribution to physics?

Gottfried Wilhelm Leibniz was a German mathematician and philosopher who lived in the 17th and 18th centuries. He is credited with independently developing the differential and integral calculus, as well as the binary number system, which is the basis for modern computing. His work in calculus greatly influenced the development of physics and other sciences.

3. How does Leibniz notation differ from other notations used in calculus?

Leibniz notation uses the symbols "dy/dx" to represent the derivative of a function y with respect to its independent variable x. This notation is more intuitive and easier to use when working with multiple variables, as it clearly shows which variable is being differentiated. Other notations, such as Newton's notation, use a dot or prime symbol to represent derivatives, which can be confusing when dealing with multiple variables.

4. Can Leibniz notation be used in any situation in physics?

Yes, Leibniz notation can be used in any situation in physics where derivatives or rates of change are involved. It is particularly useful in problems involving motion, such as velocity and acceleration, as well as in thermodynamics and electromagnetism.

5. Are there any drawbacks to using Leibniz notation?

One potential drawback of Leibniz notation is that it can be ambiguous when dealing with higher-order derivatives or when using it in conjunction with other notations, such as the chain rule. It is important to use it correctly and to understand its limitations in order to avoid errors in calculations.