Understanding Limits: A Question about Inequalities

• Thread starter chemistry1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Limit
In summary, the conversation is about understanding the definition of limits, specifically in the case where f(x) <= g(x) for all x on the interval (a,b) except possibly at c. The conversation discusses how this inequality may or may not hold at c, depending on the definition of the functions. The question also briefly touches on the concept of combining multiple functions on the same graph and whether or not the resulting "whole" needs to be a function.
chemistry1
Hi, I'm having trouble understanding the following fact about limits :
If f(x)<=g(x) for all x on (a,b) (except possibly at c) and a<c<b then,
lim f(x) <= lim g(x)
x -> c x->c
Here's how I interpret the definition : We have two functions f(x) and g(x), and the inequality f(x)<=g(x) hold true for all values that are not c. (That our interval (a,b)) If we were to evaluate the functions at c (considering that we can do it for our two functions.) then the inequality wouldn't hold anymore. (For example, f(x) would be superiro to g(x))
Please tell me if I have any errors.
THank you!
If you want to read more, go here : http://tutorial.math.lamar.edu/Classes/CalcI/ComputingLimits.aspx

Mathematics news on Phys.org
The definition includes the phrase "except possibly at c". This means the limit inequalty will hold. At c the inequalty may or may not hold delepnding on the definition.

Example: f(x) = 1 for x ≠ c, f(c) = k. g(x) = 2 for all x. Then the limits as x -> c satisfy f(x) < g(x). However at c it will depend on whether or not k > 2.

I was wondering, when we consider several functions at once in the same graph, is it ok if this whole is not a function itself ? Do we care about whether this whole is function or not ?

What "whole" are you talking about? How are you combining these "several functions"?

Nah, its okay, no need for that anymore.

Related to Understanding Limits: A Question about Inequalities

What is a limit fact?

A limit fact is a mathematical concept that describes the value that a function approaches as the input approaches a certain value. It is used to analyze the behavior of a function near a specific point.

How do you find the limit of a function?

To find the limit of a function, you can use algebraic manipulation, graphing, or substitution. You can also use the limit laws, which state that the limit of a sum, difference, product, or quotient is equal to the sum, difference, product, or quotient of the individual limits.

What is the difference between a one-sided limit and a two-sided limit?

A one-sided limit only considers the behavior of the function as the input approaches the limit value from one side, either the left or the right. A two-sided limit considers the behavior of the function as the input approaches the limit value from both sides.

Why is it important to understand limit facts?

Understanding limit facts is important because they are used in calculus and other advanced mathematical concepts. They also help us to analyze the behavior of functions and make predictions about their values.

Can limits help us to find the maximum or minimum value of a function?

Yes, limits can help us to find the maximum or minimum value of a function. By finding the limit at a specific point, we can determine if the function has a local maximum or minimum at that point. We can also use limits to find the absolute maximum or minimum of a function over a given interval.