Understanding Magnetic Attraction: Non-Magnetic Metal and Poles Explained

• Thread starter linux kid
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Magnetics
In summary, the conversation discusses how a non-magnetic piece of metal can have an attraction to only one pole of a magnet. It is clarified that non-magnetic refers to the metal not being a magnet itself, but it is still permeable. The example of a flat, permeable piece of metal is given, which shows that it will attach to both sides of a magnet when placed flat, but will always flip to the same side when held loosely. The possibility of the metal becoming mildly magnetized is suggested.
linux kid
How does a non-magnetic piece of metal have an attraction to only one of the poles when you put it near a magnet (it tries to flip to the opposite side)?

Physics news on Phys.org
It doesn't. That's what non-magnetic means. Do you have a specific example that you can show us?

by non magnetic, I don't mean that it's not permeable. I only used that word to indicate that the piece of metal is not a magnet in itself.

It is just a very flat piece of permeable metal about W1mm, H3", L2cm. It will attach itself to the magnet on both sides when placed on the magnet on it's flat side. But when I hold the bar loosely between my fingers and hold the magnet over it, it always flips to the same side every time.

Last edited:
Oh. Sounds like the metal piece has become mildly magnetized. Try picking up some light piece of ferrous metal with it (like iron filings).

1. What is a simple magnetic field?

A simple magnetic field is a region in space where a magnetic force can be detected. It is created by a magnet or a moving electric charge.

2. How is a magnetic field measured?

A magnetic field is measured using a device called a magnetometer. This device detects the strength and direction of the magnetic field.

3. How does a magnet work?

A magnet works by creating a magnetic field around itself. This field has a north pole and a south pole, and opposite poles attract each other while like poles repel.

4. Can magnetic fields be shielded?

Yes, magnetic fields can be shielded using materials such as iron, nickel, and cobalt. These materials act as a barrier and redirect the magnetic field, reducing its strength.

5. What are some common applications of magnets?

Magnets have many practical applications, such as in electric motors, generators, MRI machines, and speakers. They are also used in everyday items like refrigerator magnets, credit cards, and compasses.