Understanding Mathematical Induction: Solving 2^n Series Equation

In summary, mathematical induction works by establishing that a given statement P(n) is true for a base case, and then assuming P(n) is false for some value of n and using the well-ordering axiom to show that P(n) must be true for all positive integers n. This is because the well-ordering axiom guarantees that a non-empty set of positive integers will have a least element, and by showing that P(k) being true implies P(k+1) is also true, we can conclude that P(n) is true for all positive integers n.
Stratosphere
I was given the problem: For n [tex]\geq[/tex] 1, 2 + 2[tex]^{2}[/tex] + 2[tex]^{3}[/tex] + 2[tex]^{4}[/tex] + ... + 2[tex]^{n}[/tex] = 2[tex]^{n+1}[/tex] – 2.
I did the induction on it and got 2[tex]^{k+2}[/tex]-2. I know this is the right answer but I don't know WHY. Could anyone explain it to me?

Physics news on Phys.org
Well for proving induction, you assume it is true for n=k. Then we prove true for n=k+1, meaning we show that the next term should be true as well...So basically you are saying that, for n=k your statement p(n) which is now p(k), is true implies that p(k+1) is true and by extension p(k) is proven true.

How would you know if it's NOT true?

If the base case fails or if p(n) doesn't imply p(n+1)

Well, perhaps I'm misunderstanding your question but it seems like you're asking why mathematical induction works. The best treatment (by this I mean the simplest to understand) that I've seen used the well-ordering axiom so here goes nothing . . .

*Disclaimer* I'm not positive that this is the correct use of the well-ordering axiom or even the correct statement, this is just what one of my old textbooks says.

Well-Ordering Axiom: Every non-empty set of positive integers contains a least element. Essentially this means that if we consider a set of positive integers that is non-empty (contains some numbers), that set must have a smallest element or number. So, if we consider the non-empty set {2,3,4}, it contains a least element 2.

Proof by Induction: The proof begins by establishing that a given statement P(n) is true for n = 1. Now, let's assume that P(n) is not true for some values of n. Since this set of numbers is non-empty we can apply the well-ordering axiom. Therefore, there must be some least value n = k + 1 such that P(n) is not true. Since we know that P(n) is true when n = 1 and we know that P(n) is first false for n = k + 1, we can clearly see that P(n) must be true when n = k. Now, given that P(k) is true, if we can show that P(k + 1) is also true, that means that our assumption that P(n) was false for some positive integers n must have been incorrect. Therefore, P(n) is true for all positive integers n.

We can, of course modify this procedure slightly to fit the needs of the proof (suppose P(n) is only true if n > 3). What I liked a lot about this treatment is that it really explains why induction works and why we must use natural numbers.

Related to Understanding Mathematical Induction: Solving 2^n Series Equation

What is mathematical induction?

Mathematical induction is a proof technique used to prove that a statement is true for all natural numbers (1, 2, 3, ...). It involves proving a base case and then showing that if the statement is true for a particular number, it is also true for the next consecutive number.

How does mathematical induction work?

Mathematical induction works by using two steps: the base case and the inductive step. The base case involves proving that the statement is true for the first natural number (usually 1). The inductive step then involves assuming that the statement is true for a particular number and using that assumption to prove that it is also true for the next consecutive number.

What is the difference between strong and weak induction?

The difference between strong and weak induction lies in the inductive step. In weak induction, the assumption is made only for the previous number, while in strong induction, the assumption is made for all numbers up to the current one. Strong induction is a more powerful technique and can be used to prove more complex statements.

When should mathematical induction be used?

Mathematical induction should be used when trying to prove a statement that involves a pattern or a relationship between consecutive numbers. It is also useful when attempting to prove properties of recursively defined objects.

What are the limitations of mathematical induction?

Mathematical induction can only be used to prove statements for natural numbers. It cannot be used for real or complex numbers. Additionally, it can only be used to prove statements that follow a specific pattern or relationship between consecutive numbers.