Understanding MCNP Tally F5 Output: Tips for Beginners

• Thread starter Sonong
  • Start date
Sonong
I am beginner in MCNP. Could someone please show me how to read the output file when using Tally F5. I saw that the result involves collided and uncollided photon flux, so which part needs to be chosen for calculating? Thank you.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome to physicsforums!

If you are using an input file written by an expert that you can share you should rename it to add .txt and attach it to the thread. If you wrote it yourself and chose an F5 over another tally I would ask why?

For a real world problem you would calculate using collided and uncollided flux unless you know you want something different. Real world experiments can't tell one from the other, that is only possible in a simulation.

• Informative
Likes Sonong and berkeman

1. What is MCNP Tally F5 Output?

MCNP (Monte Carlo N-Particle) is a computer code used for simulating the transport of particles through matter. Tally F5 is an output option in MCNP that calculates the flux of particles crossing a specified surface or volume.

2. How do I interpret the MCNP Tally F5 Output?

The output from Tally F5 includes various quantities such as flux, energy deposition, and reaction rates. These quantities are typically given in units of particles per unit area per source particle. It is important to carefully read the MCNP manual and understand the definitions of these quantities in order to correctly interpret the output.

3. What are some common mistakes when using MCNP Tally F5?

One common mistake is not specifying the correct surface or volume for the tally. This can result in incorrect or meaningless results. Another mistake is not properly setting the tally parameters, such as the energy bins or the type of particles to be tallied. It is important to carefully review the input file and double check all tally settings before running the simulation.

4. How can I improve the accuracy of my MCNP Tally F5 results?

There are several ways to improve the accuracy of Tally F5 results. One method is to increase the number of particles in the simulation. This will reduce statistical uncertainty and provide more accurate results. Another method is to use variance reduction techniques, such as importance sampling, to reduce the number of particles needed for accurate results.

5. Can I use MCNP Tally F5 for all types of simulations?

Tally F5 is suitable for most types of simulations, but there are some limitations. For example, it may not be appropriate for simulations with highly anisotropic sources or for simulations with large variations in particle flux. It is important to carefully consider the physics of your simulation and consult the MCNP manual to determine if Tally F5 is the appropriate output option for your needs.