Understanding Mean Squared Deviation and Its Usage in Statistical Analysis

In summary, the term "mean squared deviation" can mean 2 things: the average of the squared deviations, or the variance of the sample.
zeeshahmad
Could someone explain the meaning of "Mean Squared Deviation"?

Also, in <x1+x2+..xn>
what is the meaning of the pointy brackets <..> ?

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF, zeeshahmad!

Hmm, didn't I see you somewhere else? :wink:

The term "mean squared deviation" is a bit ambiguous and can mean 2 things.
I'll try to explain.

Suppose you have a sample of n measurements x1, x2, ..., xn.

Then the sum of squared deviations, often abbreviated as SS is:
$$SS = \sum (x_i - \bar x)^2$$
where ##\bar x## is the mean.

This set of measurements come with a "degrees of freedom", abbreviated DF.
For a "normal" repeated measurement, we have:
$$DF = n - 1$$

In statistics, when the term "mean squared deviation" is used, it usually means:
$$MS = {SS \over DF}$$
This is exactly the variance (or squared standard deviation) of the sample.

However, taken literally, "mean squared deviation" means just the average of the squared deviations, which is:
$$SS \over n$$

I can't tell you what <x1+x2+..xn> means.
Do you have a context for that?

Last edited:
Nice posting to you again :approve:
Actually I have got the lecture notes, in which it tells the meaning, but I don't understand it:

"Consider a distribution with average value μ and standard deviation σ from which a sample measurements are taken, i.e.

[itex]\mu = \left\langle x \right\rangle[/itex]
[itex]\sigma^2 = \left\langle x^2 \right\rangle - {\left\langle x \right\rangle}^2[/itex]

"where the brackets <..> mean an average with respect to the whole distribution."

zeeshahmad said:
Nice posting to you again :approve:
Actually I have got the lecture notes, in which it tells the meaning, but I don't understand it:

"Consider a distribution with average value μ and standard deviation σ from which a sample measurements are taken, i.e.

[itex]\mu = \left\langle x \right\rangle[/itex]
[itex]\sigma^2 = \left\langle x^2 \right\rangle - {\left\langle x \right\rangle}^2[/itex]

"where the brackets <..> mean an average with respect to the whole distribution."

Ah, I see what you mean.
<...> as you show it, is also called the "expected value".
The expected valueof a variable X is also written as EX or E(X).

If the variable x can take only specific values ##x_i## with an associated chance of ##p_i##, then in general, the expectation of a function f(x) is:
$$\langle f(x) \rangle = \sum f(x_i)p_i$$
Or if x is a continuous variable, it is:
$$\langle f(x) \rangle = \int f(x)p(x)dx$$
where p(x) is the so called probability density function.So <x1+x2+...xn> would be the expected value of the sum.
This is equal to <x1>+<x2>+...+<xn>.

Thankyou for the detailed explanation
:smile:

Related to Understanding Mean Squared Deviation and Its Usage in Statistical Analysis

What is Mean Squared Deviation?

Mean Squared Deviation, also known as Mean Squared Error, is a statistical measure used to quantify the amount of variation or dispersion in a set of data values. It is calculated by finding the average of the squared differences between each data point and the mean of the data set.

How is Mean Squared Deviation different from Standard Deviation?

While both Mean Squared Deviation and Standard Deviation are measures of dispersion, they differ in the way they are calculated. Standard Deviation is calculated by finding the square root of the sum of the squared differences between each data point and the mean, while Mean Squared Deviation is calculated by finding the average of these squared differences. Additionally, Standard Deviation is measured in the same units as the original data, while Mean Squared Deviation is measured in squared units.

Why is Mean Squared Deviation used in data analysis?

Mean Squared Deviation is used in data analysis because it provides a measure of the spread of data points around the mean, giving insight into the variability of the data. It is also used in various statistical models and machine learning algorithms as a measure of the model's accuracy in predicting data.

What is the formula for calculating Mean Squared Deviation?

The formula for calculating Mean Squared Deviation is:
MSD = (1/n) * Σ (xi - x̄)2
where n is the number of data points, xi is each individual data point, and x̄ is the mean of the data set.

How do you interpret the value of Mean Squared Deviation?

The value of Mean Squared Deviation represents the average squared distance between each data point and the mean. A smaller value indicates that the data points are closer to the mean and have less variation, while a larger value indicates a greater dispersion of the data points. It is important to consider the units of measurement when interpreting the value of Mean Squared Deviation.