Understanding MMF in Transformer

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of an ideal transformer and the relationship between primary and secondary currents, as well as the effect of magnetizing current on the flux in the transformer. It is mentioned that in textbooks, the primary current is equal to the secondary current times the turns ratio, but in reality, there is also a magnetizing current that needs to be taken into account. The flux in the transformer is not canceled out, but rather balanced, to keep it constant at any load. In practical situations, the magnetizing current is not very small compared to the total current, and the flux is determined by the primary voltage and affected by the secondary current.
kelvin490
Gold Member
I am studying about transformer and get confused about some concept. I have learn that in an ideal simple transformer the primary has two components of current:
  • Magnetization current i.e. the open-secondary primary current.
  • Current that (ignoring small leakage inductances) finds it way (via the turns ratio) to the secondary.
The flux in iron core is determined by primary voltage and cannot be affected by secondary coil in a transformer and this is due to the load's ampere-turns in the primary exactly cancelling the secondary ampere-turns. In textbooks that i1N1 = i2N2 since the counter mmf is opposing the mmf of the primary coil.

I just wonder if they are exactly the same does it implies that flux will be canceled out? I know flux should not canceled out but the two mmfs are the same this make me confused.

Engineering news on Phys.org
kelvin490 said:
In textbooks that i1N1 = i2N2
Well, that's because your textbooks imagine some ideal transformer, that does not need any flux at all.

i1*N1 = i2*N2

i1 = i2 * N2 / N1 (which is not correct)

instead

I1 = i2 * N2 / N1 + i1m ( which is more correct )

Say that I2 = 0, then i1 = im1 ( im1 is the magnitizing current ).

The flux is not canceled, it's just balancing, so that the flux will be kept constant at any load ( by an ideal transformer ).

Likes kelvin490
Hesch said:
Well, that's because your textbooks imagine some ideal transformer, that does not need any flux at all.

i1*N1 = i2*N2

i1 = i2 * N2 / N1 (which is not correct)

instead

I1 = i2 * N2 / N1 + i1m ( which is more correct )

Say that I2 = 0, then i1 = im1 ( im1 is the magnitizing current ).

The flux is not canceled, it's just balancing, so that the flux will be kept constant at any load ( by an ideal transformer ).
Thanks a lot. I would also like to ask is that in practical situation magnetizing current is very small compared to the total current? In addition, you said "the flux will be kept constant at any load" do you actually mean the flux is only determined by primary voltage (which is varying) and is not affected by secondary current?

kelvin490 said:
magnetizing current is very small compared to the total current?
It is "small", but not "very small".

kelvin490 said:
do you actually mean the flux is only determined by primary voltage (which is varying) and is not affected by secondary current?
I1 is a function of I2:

I1 = i2 * N2 / N1 + i1m.

In practice L1 has an impedance ( Z1 ), so higher current in L1 will lead to a higher voltage drop ( V1 ) in L1. Now, if I1 is increased ( due to I2 ) , V1 will be increased as well: V1 = I1 * Z1.

Now, call the back-emf in L1: E1 and the supply-voltage Vs: The current in L1 is driven by: I1 = ( Vs - E1 ) / Z1. So increasing I1, ( Vs - E1 ) must be increased, and as Vs is assumed constant, E1 must be decreased, thus the flux must be decreased: E1 = dψv/dt.

1. What is MMF in a transformer?

MMF stands for Magnetomotive Force and it refers to the force that creates a magnetic field in a transformer. It is produced by the current flowing through the primary winding of the transformer.

2. How does MMF affect the performance of a transformer?

MMF plays a crucial role in the operation of a transformer. It determines the strength of the magnetic field, which in turn affects the voltage and current levels in the secondary winding. A higher MMF will result in a stronger magnetic field and a higher output voltage.

3. What factors affect MMF in a transformer?

The amount of current flowing through the primary winding, the number of turns in the winding, and the permeability of the transformer core material are the main factors that determine the MMF in a transformer. Other factors such as the size and shape of the core can also have an impact.

4. How is MMF calculated in a transformer?

The MMF in a transformer can be calculated by multiplying the current in the primary winding by the number of turns in the winding. This is known as the Ampere-Turns (AT) method. It can also be calculated by dividing the total flux in the transformer core by the permeability of the core material.

5. Can MMF be controlled in a transformer?

Yes, MMF can be controlled in a transformer by adjusting the number of turns in the primary winding or by using different materials for the core. This allows for the output voltage and current levels to be regulated and for the transformer to operate efficiently.