Understanding Negative Velocity and Displacement on a Velocity-Time Graph

In summary, the area under a velocity-time graph represents the displacement, and the integral assigns a negative sign to areas below the x-axis. However, this concept of negative displacement can be understood without relying on integration. It is simply a result of negative velocity below the time axis.
grzz
Homework Statement
Is area under a velocity-time graph a distance or displacement?
Relevant Equations
Velocity = rate of change of displacement with time.
I think the area required is a displacement.

Physics news on Phys.org
Depends if you mean area or signed area (integral)

Thanks

grzz said:
Homework Statement:: Is area under a velocity-time graph a distance or displacement?
Relevant Equations:: Velocity = rate of change of displacement with time.

I think the area required is a displacement.
The area under a curve is always, by definition, a positive number. If a curve crosses the ##x## axis, then the total area between the curve and ##x## axis is the sum of all the separate areas.

The integral, however, assigns a negative sign to areas below the ##x## axis. The integral may be positive or negative or zero.

In terms of physics, the integral of a velocity time graph gives the displacement. Whereas, the total area under a velocity time graph gives the total distance.

Hence such a question makes sense only to students who are familiar with integration. Am I correct to say this?

grzz said:
Hence such a question makes sense only to students who are familiar with integration. Am I correct to say this?
Not necessarily. You can take an area below the ##x## axis to be negative, without relying on integration.

A student who knows about integration will not ask why the area can be negative while one who does not know about integration will ask why the area below the x axis is negative. What answer can I give him then?

grzz said:
A student who knows about integration will not ask why the area can be negative while one who does not know about integration will ask why the area below the x axis is negative. What answer can I give him then?
If we are talking about a velocity-time graph, then velocity is negative below the time axis. And displacement is negative. That is nothing to do with integration.

What is the difference between distance and displacement?

Distance is the total length of the path traveled, while displacement is the shortest distance between the starting and ending points.

How is distance or displacement measured?

Distance is measured in units such as meters, kilometers, or miles, while displacement is measured in the same units but with a direction (e.g. 10 meters east).

Can distance or displacement be negative?

Distance cannot be negative, as it is a scalar quantity. However, displacement can be negative if the ending point is located behind the starting point.

What is the difference between distance and displacement on a graph?

Distance is represented by the total length of the curve on a graph, while displacement is represented by the straight line distance between the starting and ending points.

How is distance or displacement used in real life?

Distance and displacement are important concepts in physics and are used to calculate speed, velocity, and acceleration. They are also used in navigation and mapping, as well as in various sports and activities that involve measuring distance traveled.