Projectile negative vertical displacement

In summary, the conversation discusses the formula for displacement in a vertical free fall motion and how it accurately describes negative displacements. It also clarifies the role of gravity and how it affects the displacement formula. The conversation highlights the importance of correctly understanding the signs in the formula to get the accurate displacement value.
rudransh verma
Gold Member
Homework Statement
A ball is launched from a catapult with an initial speed of 3.25 m/s at an 61.7 degrees above the horizontal. If the basket is 93 cm away from the catapult horizontally where should the basket be placed vertically so the ball lands in the basket?
Relevant Equations
$$s= ut+\frac 12 at^2$$

I know how it’s done. So let’s jump on the question. The displacement that came was negative 6 cm. I want to know how this formula describes perfectly negative displacements.
I don’t understand the mechanism. If I assume ##ut## to be distance traveled in absence of g then what is ##-1/2gt^2## doing to ##ut## ?

Physics news on Phys.org
Suppose you just let a stone drop. After time t, how far has it fallen? How would you write that as a vertical displacement, with up defined as positive?

Watch this demonstration. The gun is initially aimed at the monkey.

haruspex said:
Suppose you just let a stone drop. After time t, how far has it fallen? How would you write that as a vertical displacement, with up defined as positive?
$$-s=ut-\frac12gt^2$$
Or
$$x-x0=ut-\frac12gt^2$$ where x<x0

rudransh verma said:
$$-s=ut-\frac12gt^2$$
Or
$$x-x0=ut-\frac12gt^2$$ where x<x0
I specified "drop", so u=0.
The second equation is right, but the first has the wrong sign. If up is positive the displacement is given by ##s=-\frac 12gt^2##.
So do you understand what the ##-\frac 12gt^2## does? It takes the ut that operates without gravity and adds the effect of gravity.

But I may not have grasped what it is that bothers you.

haruspex said:
I specified "drop", so u=0.
O yes.
haruspex said:
If up is positive the displacement is given by s=−12gt2.
but s should be -ve since it’s going downwards. How is my first eqn wrong? But if I take -ve sign then it will get canceled by ##-\frac12gt^2## so s is now +ve. I don’t think I get it.
haruspex said:
It takes the ut that operates without gravity and adds the effect of gravity.
So can I say ##-\frac12gt^2## is a type of distance operator. Is ##ut## distance from origin and ##-\frac12gt^2## distance from where the v=0 to the final position of the body in free fall motion? When I take difference I get the distance between the initial and final position of body.

I generally get stuck on formulas on how they reveal the truth about the world around us.
This formula perfectly reveals the displacement as +,-,0 based on the time elapsed. How?

Last edited:
rudransh verma said:
but s should be -ve since it’s going downwards
Right, and ##s=-\frac 12gt^2## will make s negative. But you had ##-s=-\frac 12gt^2##, which is the same as ##s=\frac 12gt^2##, and will make s positive.

haruspex said:
Right, and ##s=-\frac 12gt^2## will make s negative. But you had ##-s=-\frac 12gt^2##, which is the same as ##s=\frac 12gt^2##, and will make s positive.
So when do we take -##s##. I guess when it’s given and we are asked to find something else. But we don't have to take ##s## as -##s## when we have to calculate it. Right?

rudransh verma said:
So when do we take -s.
I do not understand your question. The formula is ##s=ut+\frac 12 at^2##. It is not ##-s=ut+\frac 12at^2##. The result for s may be positive or negative , but the formula remains the same.

haruspex said:
I do not understand your question. The formula is ##s=ut+\frac 12 at^2##. It is not ##-s=ut+\frac 12at^2##.
I mean when do we take -s. When we are given a value of s in a question and it says body falls down. When we need to find something else. Then we take s=-5 for example. But when we are to find s then we don’t assume it’s value as -s because that will produce wrong result.

rudransh verma said:
we don’t assume it’s value as -s
We don't write -s because it is not -s. It is s, whether the value of s is positive or negative.
You are confusing the sign placed on the variable s with the sign of a value of s.

Likes rudransh verma
haruspex said:
We don't write -s because it is not -s. It is s, whether the value of s is positive or negative.
You are confusing the sign placed on the variable s with the sign of a value of s.
Ok 👍🏻

haruspex said:
It takes the ut that operates without gravity and adds the effect of gravity.
So can I say ##-\frac12gt^2## is a type of distance operator. Is ut distance from origin and ##−\frac12gt^2## distance from where the ##v=0## to the final position of the body in free fall motion? When I take difference I get the distance between the initial and final position of body.

I generally get stuck on formulas on how they reveal the truth about the world around us.
This formula perfectly reveals the displacement as +,-,0 based on the time elapsed. How?

1. What is projectile negative vertical displacement?

Projectile negative vertical displacement is the measure of how far an object moves downwards from its initial position when launched at an angle. It is a result of the force of gravity acting on the object.

2. How is projectile negative vertical displacement calculated?

The formula for calculating projectile negative vertical displacement is: d = -1/2 * g * t^2, where d is displacement, g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2), and t is the time since the object was launched.

3. What factors affect projectile negative vertical displacement?

The factors that affect projectile negative vertical displacement include the initial velocity of the object, the angle at which it is launched, and the acceleration due to gravity. Air resistance can also have a small effect on the displacement.

4. How does projectile negative vertical displacement relate to projectile motion?

Projectile negative vertical displacement is one component of projectile motion, which is the curved path an object follows when launched into the air. The displacement is the vertical distance traveled by the object, while the horizontal distance is determined by the initial velocity and launch angle.

5. Can projectile negative vertical displacement be negative?

Yes, projectile negative vertical displacement can be negative. This occurs when the object is launched at an angle less than 45 degrees and reaches its maximum height before falling back to the ground. In this case, the displacement would be negative because the object is moving downwards from its initial position.