Understanding NMR: Exploring the Conflict With Quantum Physics

In summary, the author is trying to explain how NMR works but is having difficulty understanding something. At Boltzmann equilibrium, the net magnetization of a sample would be along the positive direction of z. If we introduce a second magnetic field orthogonal to the first, the net magnetization vector would move in a circular path around the field strength B_1. If everything the author said until now is correct, at quantum level something must happen to the individual magnetic moments to cause a new Boltzmann equilibrium where they are randomly precessing around B_1. However, this implies that M is a static vector along that same direction. The author can't understand what happens at quantum level when the second magnetic field is introduced
pmiranda
Hello,

I am writing an appendix to my thesis where i try to explain how nmr works but i am having trouble understanding something.

Suppose that we have a sample with many nuclei with 1/2 spin precessing around an external magnetic field [itex]\vec{B_0}[/itex] aligned with the z axis. At Boltzmann equilibrium the net magnetization [itex]\vec{M}[/itex] of the sample would be along the positive direction of z.

Since the rate of change of individual magnetic moments is given by
[itex]\frac{d\vec\mu}{dt}=\gamma\vec\mu\times \vec{B_0}[/itex]

the generalization to the net magnetization vector [itex]\vec{M}[/itex] would be
[itex]\frac{d\vec{M}}{dt}=\gamma\vec{M}\times \vec{B_0}[/itex]

suppose that we now introduce a constant, non oscillating, magnetic field [itex]\vec{B_1}[/itex] orthogonally to [itex]\vec{B_0}[/itex]. I guess it is safe to write that:
[itex]\frac{d\vec{M}}{dt}=\gamma\vec{M}\times (\vec{B_0}+\vec{B_1})=\gamma\vec{M}\times (\vec{B_{eff}})[/itex]

This suggests that the magnetization vector would move in a circular path around [itex]\vec{B_{eff}}[/itex].

If everything i said until now is correct, i can't understand what happens at quantum level. I mean, although the macroscopic equation suggests that [itex]\vec{M}[/itex] would precess around [itex]\vec{B_{eff}}[/itex] what happens to the individual magnetic moments? I would think that a new Boltzmann equilibrium where they are randomly precessing around [itex]\vec{B_{eff}}[/itex] would be establish, however, that implies that [itex]\vec{M}[/itex] is static vector along that same direction!

I can't understand this conflict. There must be something wrong or something missing here. The only thing i can remember is that somehow the individual moments are no longer randomly distributed along the 2 cones but are now rotating in phase from where the excess of nuclei in the lower energy state would coincide with [itex]\vec{M}[/itex] but how did that happen?

My formation is quantum physics is not that advanced since i graduated in informatics and this is really killing me. Can someone help me understand what happens to the individual magnetic moments as soon as the second magnetic field is introduced?

Physics news on Phys.org

The QM view of NMR is different. The nuclear spins form a two-state system (spin aligned and anti-aligned with the field) that have an energy difference given by the quantum Zeeman splitting. Transitions between the states occur when a photon of correct energy (frequency) is absorbed or emitted--the quantum equivalent of the classical RF resonance condition.

There are many sites on the web that cover this, e.g.
http://users.fmrib.ox.ac.uk/~stuart/thesis/chapter_2/section2_2.html

or see any NMR text. A classic is Slichter, Principles of Nuclear Magnetism.

see also below chapter one of below book:
"Basic one- and two-dimenstional NMR spectroscopy", Freibolian.
and for nmr below book is great:
"Spin Dynamics, Basics of Nuclear Magnetic Resonance" - Malcolm H. Levitt - John Wiley.

1. What is NMR and how does it relate to quantum physics?

NMR, or nuclear magnetic resonance, is a technique used to study the properties of atomic nuclei. It involves exposing a sample to a strong magnetic field and measuring the response of the nuclei to this field. This response is governed by the principles of quantum physics, as the behavior of the nuclei is described by quantum mechanics.

2. What is the conflict between NMR and quantum physics?

The conflict arises from the fact that NMR relies on classical physics principles, such as the classical equations of motion, to interpret the data. However, these principles are not always applicable at the atomic level and can lead to discrepancies with the predictions of quantum mechanics.

3. How is the conflict between NMR and quantum physics resolved?

To resolve this conflict, NMR experiments are designed to carefully account for the principles of quantum physics. This includes taking into consideration the effects of quantum mechanical spin and the quantum mechanical behavior of the nuclei under study.

4. What are some real-world applications of NMR?

NMR has a wide range of applications, including in chemistry, biology, and medicine. It is commonly used to determine the structure of molecules, study chemical reactions, and diagnose medical conditions.

5. How has NMR advanced our understanding of quantum physics?

NMR has played a crucial role in advancing our understanding of quantum physics. Its use in experiments has provided valuable insights into the behavior of atomic nuclei and has helped to confirm the predictions of quantum mechanics. Additionally, NMR has also been used to develop new techniques and technologies in the field of quantum computing.