Understanding of Voltage potential

PhysicsTest
TL;DR Summary
I want to understand the voltage potential
I am bit confused with voltage potential terminology again to basics
1691477770970.png

When it is referred as Voa it is Voltage of "o" wrt "a". Is it correct?
But other major question is
1691477865309.png

as per the document

I would have written KVL as Voa - I1 * Z = Vn. I am really confused with notation used.

Engineering news on Phys.org
PhysicsTest said:
TL;DR Summary: I want to understand the voltage potential

When it is referred as Voa it is Voltage of "o" wrt "a". Is it correct?
Since all of the measurements are relative the the "O" node, i"O" is the 'reference' node (or 'common' node), this is often referred to as 'Ground', even if it is not connected to the actual Ground or Earth.

So VOA is Voltage of "A" wrt "O".

In general, the first subscript (in this case 'O') is the Reference point and the second subscript is the point being measured. Another way to remember it is 'from' and 'to' for the subscripts.

Hope this helps!

Cheers,
Tom

Likes PhysicsTest
PhysicsTest said:
I would have written KVL as Voa - I1 * Z = Vn. I am really confused with notation used.
Me too. But as long as you are consistent with the sign definitions the equations will give you the correct answer regardless.

PhysicsTest said:
I would have written KVL as Voa - I1 * Z = Vn.
I too agree. But (though not an electrical engineer) can I add this.

Using ##V_{on} = V_{oa} + ZI_1## etc. is not consistent with the assumed current-directions shown in the diagram. It is not the usual practice in my experience. I would (as an ex-teacher) mark it wrong.

When setting up the equations, the signs in the equations must be consistent with the assumed current directions.

For example, in more complicated circuits with 'loops', different currents can flow through the same component. E.g. there might be ##I_4## flowing through a resistor in one direction and ##I_5## flowing through the same resistor in the opposite direction. In such situations, not following strict rules about the use signs can lead to errors. Is thecurrent through the resistor ##I_4+I_5, I_4-I_5, -I_4+I_5## or ##-I_4-I_5##? You need to be able to pick the correct one!

Tom.G said:
Since all of the measurements are relative the the "O" node, i"O" is the 'reference' node (or 'common' node), this is often referred to as 'Ground', even if it is not connected to the actual Ground or Earth.

So VOA is Voltage of "A" wrt "O".

In general, the first subscript (in this case 'O') is the Reference point and the second subscript is the point being measured. Another way to remember it is 'from' and 'to' for the subscripts.

Hope this helps!

Cheers,
Tom
In my experience, you will not find a consensus either way with this definition. The important thing is to be consistent within a single analysis and to understand as best as possible from the context which definitions are being used.

Again, the definitions of various polarities can be arbitrary, but strict consistency in their application is mandatory.

Likes sophiecentaur

1. What is voltage potential?

Voltage potential is the difference in electric potential energy between two points in an electric field. It is often referred to as simply "voltage" and is measured in volts (V).

2. How is voltage potential related to electric current?

Voltage potential is directly related to electric current. A higher voltage potential will result in a greater flow of electric current, while a lower voltage potential will result in a lower flow of electric current.

3. What factors affect voltage potential?

The two main factors that affect voltage potential are the distance between two points and the amount of charge present. The greater the distance between two points, the greater the voltage potential. Similarly, the greater the amount of charge present, the greater the voltage potential.

4. What is the difference between AC and DC voltage potential?

AC (alternating current) voltage potential changes direction periodically, while DC (direct current) voltage potential remains constant. AC voltage potential is used for most household and commercial electricity, while DC voltage potential is used for electronics and batteries.

5. How is voltage potential measured?

Voltage potential is measured using a voltmeter, which is a device that measures the potential difference between two points. The voltmeter is connected in parallel to the circuit in order to accurately measure the voltage potential.