Understanding Output Voltages for a Center Tapped Transformer

In summary: This results in a 180-degree phase difference between the voltages at A and B, and the distribution of amplitudes is achieved by the choice of the center tap as the zero reference point. This leads to the voltage at the center tap being half of the voltage difference between A and B, and the voltage between A and B being in antiphase. In summary, the center tap transformer allows for a 180-degree phase difference between the voltages at its extreme nodes, resulting in a distribution of amplitudes and a voltage at the center tap that is half of the voltage difference between the extreme nodes.
JC2000
TL;DR Summary
Unable to put a finger on exactly why the following holds :

1. The voltage between the extreme nodes and central tap of the transformer is half of the voltage difference between the extreme nodes.

2. A 180 degree phase difference exists between the voltage at extreme nodes.
While trying to understand the working of a full wave rectifier I was unable to precisely understand the working of the central tap transformer.

Edit 1 : The voltages are out of phase by 180 degrees as voltage is alternating(?) So the only thing I don't understand is how the distribution of amplitudes occurs...

Thank you for your time!

untitled.png

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
It might help to think of the Center Tap transformer as two identical transformers connected like this.
7WjGW.png

The dots show phasing.

• Informative
Likes berkeman and anorlunda
JC2000 said:
Edit 1 : The voltages are out of phase by 180 degrees as voltage is alternating(?) So the only thing I don't understand is how the distribution of amplitudes occurs...

Thank you for your time!

View attachment 256711
The secondary winding is wound in the same direction and when excited by same AC magnetic flux, the potentials of terminals A and B with respect to the center tap point are:

VA=Vmsin(ωt)
VB=Vmsin(ωt+π)=-Vmsin(ωt)

Per definition, the voltage is the difference of potentials.
So, how much is VAB=VA-VB ?

Likes JC2000
JC2000 said:
why the following holds :

1. The voltage between the extreme nodes and central tap of the transformer is half of the voltage difference between the extreme nodes.
Voltage is induced in each turn of the secondary. Half the turns are in each half of the secondary. So half the total voltage is in each half of the secondary.

JC2000 said:
This is due to the choice of centre tap as zero reference. On your diagram, the centre tap is shown as ground or reference potential.
Starting at one end tap, the voltage increases in magnitude linearly as you go along the winding. If either end is taken as zero reference, the voltage at half way and at the opposite end will be in phase, the halfway one being half the amplitude of the other end.
It is by choosing to refer to the centre tap that you force one half winding to have an opposite voltage to the other. The centre tap is always half way between the ends. so when the top half goes +ve, the bottom must go -ve and vice versa, so that the mid point can stay at zero.

Incidentally, I don't like Zoki's derivation, because there is no time shift causing the "phase" difference. The difference is that the amplitude is reversed simply by choosing a different zero reference point.
I would say
VA=Vmsin(ωt)
VB=-Vmsin(ωt) because VB is measured in the opposite sense to VA
That is, VB is antiphase with VA, which looks like Vmsin(ωt+π)

Likes nsaspook, Asymptotic, berkeman and 2 others
Merlin3189 said:
The difference is that the amplitude is reversed simply by choosing a different zero reference point.
I would say
VA=Vmsin(ωt)
VB=-Vmsin(ωt) because VB is measured in the opposite sense to VA
That is, VB is antiphase with VA, which looks like Vmsin(ωt+π)
Agreed.
I wrote that solely for math purposes, in order to OP see 180° phase difference reffered to in two different ways

JC2000 said:
Edit 1 : The voltages are out of phase by 180 degrees as voltage is alternating(?) So the only thing I don't understand is how the distribution of amplitudes occurs..

According to Faraday's law, assuming that from A to G(ground) and from G to B have the same winding direction and number of turns, since the magnitude and phase of the magnetic flux flowing through them are the same, V(AG)=V(GB).

Because V(GB) =-V (BG), V(AG)=-V(BG), which means that V(A) and V(B) are 180 degrees out of phase with respect to G (ground).

Last edited:
JC2000 said:
TL;DR Summary: Unable to put a finger on exactly why the following holds :

While trying to understand the working of a full wave rectifier I was unable to precisely understand the working of the central tap transformer.

Thank you for your time!

View attachment 256711
I modified your drawing to try to answer, "why is it that they (L1, L2) are 180 degrees out of phase, although when you use L1 and L2 without a neutral for a 240 volt circuit L1 and L2 are not out of phase?
Which is not really true it is about the reference. Anyway, here is the modified drawing that might help someone else.
Mikek
Phase explanation.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is a center tapped transformer?

A center tapped transformer is a type of transformer that has a secondary winding with a tap in the middle, effectively splitting the winding into two equal halves. This tap provides a neutral point and allows the transformer to provide two output voltages simultaneously, each half of the total voltage across the secondary, but of opposite polarity relative to the center tap.

2. How do you calculate the output voltages of a center tapped transformer?

To calculate the output voltages of a center tapped transformer, first determine the total voltage across the secondary winding. The voltage from each end of the winding to the center tap will be half of the total secondary voltage. For example, if the secondary winding provides 24 volts, the voltage from each end of the winding to the center tap will be 12 volts.

3. What are the common uses of a center tapped transformer?

Center tapped transformers are commonly used in applications where dual supply voltages are needed, such as in power supplies for audio equipment, radio transmitters, and other electronic devices. They are also used in rectifier circuits to create a full-wave rectification, which is more efficient than using two separate transformers.

4. What are the advantages of using a center tapped transformer?

The main advantage of using a center tapped transformer is its ability to provide dual voltages, which can simplify the design of electrical circuits by eliminating the need for additional transformers. Additionally, center tapped transformers can offer more stability and balance in the output voltages, which is beneficial for sensitive electronic equipment.

5. How does a center tapped transformer affect the safety of electrical systems?

Center tapped transformers can enhance the safety of electrical systems by providing a neutral point, which is often grounded. This can help in controlling fault currents and reducing the risk of electric shock. Moreover, the dual voltages allow for lower voltage operations, which can be safer to handle and maintain.