Understanding Poincare's recurrence theorem

In summary, the Poincare's recurrence theorem states that in a container divided in two by a wall, if one half contains particles and the other does not, and the wall is removed and a long time passes, the particles will eventually be found in the same half. This may seem counter-intuitive, but it is due to random movement and does not violate the second law of thermodynamics. The time for this to happen can be extremely long, calculated by the volume of phase space accessible. While the laws of thermodynamics can theoretically break down, it is very rare in practice. Overall, this theorem helps us understand the statistical properties of a system rather than its fully deterministic behavior.
JD_PM
The Poincare's recurrence theorem :

PoincareTheorem.png

This theorem implies the following:

Suppose a container is divided in two by a wall. Half of it contains particles and the other none. If you were to remove the wall and wait a very very long time, the particles would eventually be found in the same half of the container.

To me this statement is counter-intuitive. I would expect the particles to jiggle around forever.

Why am I wrong?

I have read the proof but I would rather discuss the theorem to understand it.

Likes atyy
Physics news on Phys.org
JD_PM said:
Summary:: I want to understand the idea of Poincare's recurrence theorem

To me this statement is counter-intuitive. I would expect the particles to jiggle around forever.
They ”jiggle around” randomly forever. This means that they will eventually come back to the original state (or very close to it) by pure chance. The time for this to happen can be orders of magnitude longer than the age of the Universe.

Likes atyy, JD_PM and vanhees71
Thanks for your answer.

Orodruin said:
This means that they will eventually come back to the original state (or very close to it) by pure chance.

Doesn't this mean that the second law of Thermodynamics breaks down? Theoretically, if all particles eventually come back to the original state means that ##\Delta S =0##. This is actually what shocks me about this theorem.

Orodruin said:
The time for this to happen can be orders of magnitude longer than the age of the Universe.

Actually my book justifies that the second law is not violated because very long time means ##10^{20}## years.

To me that is not a good reason because, in the end we end up with ##\Delta S =0## so we still have the same issue.

By the way, how is this time calculated?

JD_PM said:
Doesn't this mean that the second law of Thermodynamics breaks down?
No. Thermodynamics is about the statistical properties of the system and the resulting macro states. It is not describing the fully deterministic situation. Looking at statistical mechanics, you have the different statistical ensembles that will allow you to derive the thermodynamic properties of the system.

JD_PM said:
By the way, how is this time calculated?
This depends on how close you want to get to the original state in phase space. Take a characteristic time to move out of that volume and multiply by the ratio of the total phase space volume accessible and the phase space volume you want to move back to. This gives you an upper estimate.

Likes JD_PM
JD_PM said:
Doesn't this mean that the second law of Thermodynamics breaks down?

The laws of thermodynamics are not fundamental, and they can break down in theory, but these are so rare that there is not any breakdown in practice.

Likes JD_PM
atyy said:
The laws of thermodynamics are not fundamental

What do you mean saying 'not fundamental'?

What is Poincare's recurrence theorem?

Poincare's recurrence theorem is a mathematical concept that states that in a closed system with a finite number of states, every state will eventually recur infinitely many times.

How does Poincare's recurrence theorem relate to entropy?

Poincare's recurrence theorem is closely related to the concept of entropy, which is a measure of the disorder or randomness in a system. According to the theorem, in a closed system with a finite number of states, the system will eventually return to a state of maximum entropy, or maximum disorder, before repeating the same cycle of states.

What are some real-world applications of Poincare's recurrence theorem?

Poincare's recurrence theorem has applications in various fields, including physics, chemistry, and economics. For example, it can be used to model the behavior of gas molecules in a closed container, the fluctuations in stock market prices, or the movements of planets in a closed system.

Is Poincare's recurrence theorem always applicable?

No, Poincare's recurrence theorem is only applicable to closed systems with a finite number of states. In open systems or systems with an infinite number of states, the theorem does not hold.

What are the implications of Poincare's recurrence theorem for the universe?

The implications of Poincare's recurrence theorem for the universe are still a topic of debate among scientists. Some argue that the theorem suggests the universe will eventually reach a state of maximum entropy and repeat the same cycle of events. Others argue that the theorem is not applicable to the universe as a whole, as it is an open system with an infinite number of states.