Understanding Power Ratings and Energy Usage: A Case Study

In summary: So, yes, 0.4 kW * 60 seconds * 60 minutes = 1440 kJ.In summary, the question is asking for the amount of electrical energy used by a computer with a 400w power rating that is switched on for 5 hours per day for one week. The answer is 14 kWh, which can be calculated by using power (in kW) multiplied by time (in hours). It is important to pay attention to the units when calculating energy, as the conversion factor between joules and kilowatt-hours is different.
Lim Y K
For example
A computer with a power rating of 400w is switched on for 5 hours for a period of one week. What is the amount of electrical energy used?

I calculated using E=PxT
400w x (5hours x 7daysx 60mins x 60 seconds)
=50400000j

But the answer is 14kwh
Why is this so? I thought its power (in watts) x time (in seconds)?

Physics news on Phys.org
They are different units for energy. Look up the conversion factor between joules (which is what you have calculated) and kilowatt-hours (which is what you want).

Or, in your calculation of E = PT, use P in kilowatts and T in hours (instead of watts and seconds).

Likes Lim Y K
oh. but then shouldn't the claculation be 0.4kw x 60secomds x 60 mins? i thought power is the electrical energy used per second ? why is it 0.4w x 7 x 5?

or is it beacuse its kwh which means kw x h and not kw/h?

Lim Y K said:
or is it beacuse its kwh which means kw x h and not kw/h?

Correct.

Lim Y K said:
A computer with a power rating of 400w is switched on for 5 hours for a period of one week.

I assume that is 5 hours per day for one week.

Energy (kWh) = Power (in KW) * Time (hours)

= 0.4 * 5 * 7 = 14 kWh

Likes Lim Y K
Lim Y K said:
oh. but then shouldn't the claculation be 0.4kw x 60secomds x 60 mins? i thought power is the electrical energy used per second ? why is it 0.4w x 7 x 5?
Power is energy used per unit time. The unit of time can be (is) different for different units. In this case, it is -- you just have to look carefully at the unit and use it as specified.

Likes Lim Y K and CWatters

1. What is power rating?

Power rating is a measure of the rate at which a device or system can use or supply energy. It is typically measured in watts (W) and indicates the maximum amount of power that a device can handle or produce.

2. How is power rating calculated?

Power rating is calculated by multiplying the voltage (V) and current (I) of a device or system. The formula for power rating is P = V x I. For example, a device with a voltage of 12V and a current of 2A would have a power rating of 24 watts (12V x 2A = 24W).

3. Why is power rating important?

Power rating is important because it helps determine the capacity and capabilities of a device or system. It can also indicate the amount of energy consumption and efficiency of a device. Knowing the power rating can help in selecting the right equipment for a specific task or ensuring that a device is not overloaded.

4. How does power rating affect electricity bills?

The power rating of a device or system can affect electricity bills because it indicates the amount of energy consumption. Devices with higher power ratings will use more energy and therefore contribute to higher electricity bills. It is important to consider the power rating when purchasing appliances or electronics to help manage energy costs.

5. Can power rating be changed?

Power rating is a fixed characteristic of a device or system and cannot be changed. However, it is important to note that the power rating may vary depending on the usage and conditions of the device. For example, a device may have a higher power rating when running at full capacity compared to when it is operating at a lower level.