Understanding Probability in Lottery Odds: A Misconception

• Thread starter mlovas
  • Start date
  • Tags
    lottery
In summary, the couple is having a dispute over the odds of winning a prize in a hospital lottery that claims the odds are 1 in 3 to win a prize. The husband believes this is true, while the wife argues that the odds are actually 1 in 178,000 if a winning ticket is removed for each subsequent draw. The wife also believes that the only way the odds can be 1 in 3 is if the tickets are separated into groups and there is a draw from each group. However, it is clarified that the 1 in 3 odds mean a chance of winning any prize, not a specific one. The husband's understanding of the odds is correct and the wife's argument is based on a misconception.

Who is correct

• mary is correct

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • mary's husband is correct

Votes: 2 100.0%
  • you are both right

• you are both wrong

• Total voters
mlovas
My husband and I disagree. A hospital lottery claims the odds are 1 in 3 to win a prize. There are 72,000 prizes and 250,000 tickets.

Assuming a winning ticket is removed from the pot for the next draw, I say the odds or chances of winning are at best 1 in 178,000. If winning tickets go back in for each subsequent draw, I say your odds of winning never exceed 1 in 250,000 notwithstanding that there are 72,000 draws.

My husband says the odds are 1 in 3 (approximately).

Please setlle this dispute. I believe the only way the odds can be 1 in 3 is if the 250,000 tickets are separated into 72,000 groups of three tickets and there is a draw from each of the 72,000 groups of 3 tickets for a prize. I am tired of people not understanding that this is highly misleading telling people they have a 1 in 3 chance of winning a prize. Am I wrong?

Thanks.

Mary

Mathematics news on Phys.org
If someone can't win a second prize, then there is approximately a 1 in 3 chance of winning (actually, it's 1 in 250,000/72,000 odds). It literally means 1 in every 3 people will win a prize. This is very very likely the way the lottery is held. What "1 in Y chances" means in the most literal sense is that out of every Y number of people, 1 will win. So if you literally think about spreading out 72,000 prizes amongst 250,000 people, you clearly have 1 in 3 odds - that is, 1 out of every 3 people or so will win a prize).

If someone is allowed to win a second prize, the odds become smaller, but nothing crazy like 1 in 172,000 or whatever. I believe it becomes 1 in roughly 4 chance that you'll win at least once.

Think about your logic. What if there were 249,998 prizes and 250,000 entries? Based on your logic, you have 1 in 2 odds. Does it really make sense that the odds of you winning one of those 249,998 prizes are 50/50?

I still don't see how the mathematical probability of your ticket being drawn to win a prize increases over 1 in 250,000 for each separate draw for a prize, each draw being a separate event.

Mary

mlovas said:
I still don't see how the mathematical probability of your ticket being drawn to win a prize increases over 1 in 250,000 for each separate draw for a prize, each draw being a separate event.

Mary

This is what I figured you were thinking about but wasn't sure. Think of it this way - label each prize as Prize 1, Prize 2, 3, 4... Prize 72,000. The 1 in 250,000 figure that you're thinking about is specifically "What are my odds of winning Prize #X". So assuming people are allowed to win as many times as they want, then you have a 1 in 250,000 odds of winning Prize #20,350. However, it is SPECIFICALLY prize #20,350. It is overwhelmingly unlikely you will win a specific prize. When they say "you have 1 in 3 odds of winning", all that is being said is that you have a 1 in 3 chance of winning A prize, not a specific prize.

Of course, the great majority of those prizes are worth very little.

mlovas, I think your misconception comes from the classic misconceptions that lead people to do stuff such as betting on reds in a game of roulette when the last 3-4 results were black. Obviously the previous results don't affect the probabilities of the next ball stopping on a black or red color.

This is very badly explained, english isn't my primary language. However it would be correct to state the chances of winning are about 1 in 3 in this case. As someone else said, you were trying to predict your chances of winning a specific prize out of the 72000. Your chances of winning A prize and not one of the specific prizes are much higher, obviously.

1. How are lottery odds calculated?

The odds of winning the lottery are calculated by dividing the total number of possible combinations by the number of winning combinations. For example, if there are 10 million possible combinations and only one winning combination, the odds of winning are 1 in 10 million.

2. Are lottery odds the same for all games?

No, lottery odds vary depending on the specific game. Games with higher jackpots usually have lower odds of winning, while games with smaller prizes may have better odds. It is important to check the odds before playing a particular lottery game.

3. Can lottery odds be improved?

No, lottery odds cannot be improved. The odds are set by the game organizers and are not affected by any strategies or methods. Each lottery draw is completely random and independent of previous draws.

4. Is it possible to increase my chances of winning the lottery?

Technically, buying more tickets can increase your chances of winning, but it does not guarantee a win. Additionally, buying more tickets can become expensive and may not be a sustainable strategy in the long run.

5. How do lottery organizers advertise the odds of winning?

Lottery organizers are required to disclose the odds of winning in their advertising and on their websites. However, the odds may be presented in a way that is misleading, such as using big numbers or comparing the odds to other unlikely events. It is important to read the odds carefully and understand the true chances of winning.