Understanding Proof of Uniqueness

In summary, "Proof of Uniqueness" is the evidence or demonstration that something is one-of-a-kind and cannot be replicated. In scientific research, this is determined through rigorous experimentation, data analysis, and comparison with existing literature. It is important in science because it ensures the validity and reliability of research findings. Common methods used to establish "Proof of Uniqueness" include controlled experiments, statistical analysis, and peer review. However, it can still be subjective to some extent, which is why peer review and replication are necessary in the scientific community.
Mr Davis 97
I'm trying to really get a grasp on proofs of uniqueness.

Here is a model problem: Prove that ##x=-b/a## is the unique solution to ##ax+b=0##.

First method:
First we show existence of a solution: If ##x = -b/a##, then ##a(-b/a)+b = -b+b = 0##.
Now, we show uniqueness: If ##ax+b=0##, then ##ax = -b## and so ##x = -b/a##.

Second method:
First we show existence of a solution: If ##x = -b/a##, then ##a(-b/a)+b = -b+b = 0##.
Now, we show uniqueness: Suppose that ##y## and ##z## are two different solutions to the equation. Then ##ay+b=0## and ##az+b=0##, so then ##ay+b=az+b##, which implies that ##y=z##.

What is the difference between these two methods? Are they both valid? Which is preferable?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Both are correct.

In the first method, you show that if there is a solution, it MUST be ##x = -b/a##. So there is only one possibility for the solution, and your existence shows that it is a solution, so there is at least one solution. So, you can conclude that there is precisely one solution.

In the second method, you show that any two solutions must be the same. So again, there can be at most one solution.

Both methods are used frequently, none of the two should be preferred above the other imo.

Mr Davis 97 said:
I'm trying to really get a grasp on proofs of uniqueness.

Here is a model problem: Prove that ##x=-b/a## is the unique solution to ##ax+b=0##.

First method:
Now, we show uniqueness: If ##ax+b=0##, then ##ax = -b## and so ##x = -b/a##.

Second method:
Now, we show uniqueness: Suppose that ##y## and ##z## are two different solutions to the equation. Then ##ay+b=0## and ##az+b=0##, so then ##ay+b=az+b##, which implies that ##y=z##.

What is the difference between these two methods? Are they both valid? Which is preferable?
First of all, we don't need existence to show uniqueness. Uniqueness means: if exist, then unique. So it doesn't require the existence.

The difference between the two proofs is (second parts), that the first doesn't show uniqueness. It shows instead: If a solution exists, then it is necessary that ##x=-b/a##. Theoretically we could still have two different values for ##x##, say ##x=y## and ##x=z##. Now we apply transitivity of equality and get by our necessary condition: ##x=-b/a \text{ and } y=-b/a \Rightarrow x=y##. This step would formally be needed in the first version.

The second version shows directly that two solutions have to be the same by starting with transitivity: ##ay+b=0\text{ and }az+b=0 \Rightarrow ay+b=az+b##.

fresh_42 said:
Theoretically we could still have two different values for ##x##, say ##x=y## and ##x=z##. Now we apply transitivity of equality and get by our necessary condition: ##x=-b/a \text{ and } y=-b/a \Rightarrow x=y##. This step would formally be needed in the first version.

I disagree with what you say here. How would it be possible to obtain 2 values? That proof really says that "if there is a solution, it must be -b/a"

Math_QED said:
I disagree with what you say here. How would it be possible to obtain 2 values? That proof really says that "if there is a solution, it must be -b/a"
This is a necessary condition. You still have to show somehow, that it is a unique description of a number or at least mention it - which it isn't by the way, but that's another discussion. To me there is a formal step missing, as from necessity alone cannot be concluded uniqueness for elements which fulfill the condition. I mean the entire subject is about logic, and I think in logical terms such a step is needed. The more as the second version of the proof also uses it, namely (hidden) at the start. In real life the entire example is ridiculous, but in general, a necessary condition doesn't guarantee anything, as e.g. in ##y=\sqrt{x}## over ##\mathbb{R}\quad x>0## is a necessary condition, but it doesn't say anything about uniqueness. As mentioned: formally.

And by the way, the entire example neglects the case ##a=b=0## in which case uniqueness will be lost.

fresh_42 said:
Theoretically we could still have two different values for ##x##, say ##x=y## and ##x=z##. Now we apply transitivity of equality and get by our necessary condition: ##x=-b/a \text{ and } y=-b/a \Rightarrow x=y##. This step would formally be needed in the first version.

Math_QED said:
It seems to me that @fresh_42 is doing a proof by contradiction here. At the start, he's assuming that there are two solutions, x = y and x = z. Subsequent work shows that there really is only one solution, which is a contradiction of the assumption that there are two solutions. Thus, along with the fact that a solution exists, that solution must be unique.

Mark44 said:
It seems to me that @fresh_42 is doing a proof by contradiction here. At the start, he's assuming that there are two solutions, x = y and x = z. Subsequent work shows that there really is only one solution, which is a contradiction of the assumption that there are two solutions. Thus, along with the fact that a solution exists, that solution must be unique.

He never says that the solutions must be distinct, so there is no contradiction until this is explicitely mentioned.

Whether you use (without mentioning) the fact that ##|\{\,-\frac{b}{a}\,\}|=1## or (by mentioning) use transivity of equality doesn't make a difference. In either case you add another statement to ##x=-\frac{b}{a}##. You must somehow explain, why this necessary condition already describes the solution completely. This is obvious in this case, but not in general. To deduce a necessary condition covers only one aspect of the solution, because it is merely necessary. That it covers the entire solution - in this case, not in general - needs another statement.

Math_QED said:
He never says that the solutions must be distinct, so there is no contradiction until this is explicitely mentioned.
But @fresh_42 essentially said that, with his phrase
Theoretically we could still have two different values for x, say x = y and x = z
(underscore added by me).
"Different values" says "distinct" to me.

My main issue was, that a necessary condition is generally not sufficient to conclude uniqueness. It is just here in this trivial example the case, that the solution appears unique to everybody.

If we had e.g. ##x^2=4## we can deduce ##|x|=2## from that. This is a necessary condition. Now everybody sees, that this is not sufficient to claim uniqueness. So formally, there has to be another argument, why a solution is unique. To derive a necessary condition is always just that: necessary. E.g. we would also have to verify, that ##x=-\frac{b}{a}## is actually a solution, as both proofs in the OP do.

So, although this example wasn't actually difficult and thus not a good one, I want to sharpen the readers' minds, that a necessary condition alone is usually not enough. Often we use equivalent phrases between condition and a necessity, so sufficiency is already given. But as soon as examples get only a bit more complicated: possible zero factors, inequalities, squares etc. equivalences tend to get lost. And in those cases, one has to know, what the difference between a necessary condition and a solution is.

I don't know if this is OT , but don't we need to assume we are either working on a group or with an elements that are units in a ring? 1/a , which is , I assume here, the multiplicative inverse of a, may not always exist, depending on the setting.

WWGD said:
I don't know if this is OT , but don't we need to assume we are either working on a group or with an elements that are units in a ring? 1/a , which is , I assume here, the multiplicative inverse of a, may not always exist, depending on the setting.
I think it's safe to assume that we're dealing with real numbers. In any case, the question is about existence and uniqueness of solutions. If this had been about groups or rings, I'm sure that would have been stated. So yes, OT.

Mark44 said:
I think it's safe to assume that we're dealing with real numbers. In any case, the question is about existence and uniqueness of solutions. If this had been about groups or rings, I'm sure that would have been stated. So yes, OT.
What I meant is that it is a good idea, if one expects to do some serious ( grad-level) Math at some point, to get used to specify the setting: algebraic object, type of number, etc one is working with. But that is up to Mr. Davis.

1. What is "Proof of Uniqueness"?

Proof of Uniqueness refers to the evidence or demonstration that a particular object, concept, or idea is one-of-a-kind and cannot be replicated or duplicated.

2. How is "Proof of Uniqueness" determined in scientific research?

In scientific research, proof of uniqueness is typically determined through rigorous experimentation, analysis of data, and comparison with existing literature. Researchers must provide evidence that their findings are original and cannot be explained by previous studies or theories.

3. Why is "Proof of Uniqueness" important in science?

Proof of uniqueness is crucial in science because it ensures the validity and reliability of research findings. Without proof of uniqueness, it is difficult to determine the accuracy of data and draw meaningful conclusions.

4. What are some common methods used to establish "Proof of Uniqueness"?

Some common methods used to establish proof of uniqueness include conducting controlled experiments, using statistical analysis to compare data, and conducting peer review to validate findings.

5. Can "Proof of Uniqueness" be subjective?

Yes, "Proof of Uniqueness" can be subjective to a certain extent. While there are established methods and criteria for determining uniqueness in science, there may be differing opinions or interpretations of the evidence. This is why peer review and replication of studies are important in the scientific community.