Understanding Reciprocal Lattices for Beginners

In summary, the reciprocal lattice of a simple cubic lattice can be defined by the base vectors b1=2π(a2xa3/a^2), b2=2π(a3xa1/a^2), and b3=2π(a1xa2/a^2). The volume of the unit cell is defined by a^3, which is the dot product of the primitive vectors a1, a2, and a3. This means that the reciprocal lattice of the reciprocal lattice is the original crystal lattice. The cross product should be done first, taking into account the magnitude of the vectors.
Michaelangelo
here is a question on reciprocal lattices that I am stuck on

for a simple cubic lattice, the unit cell is defined by a1=a(1,0,0) a2 = a(0,1,0) a3 = a(0,0,1), demonstrate that the reciprocal lattice of its reciprocal lattice is the original crystal lattice.From what I've found, i think the reciprocal lattice base vectors b1 b2 b3 of the primitive vectors of the crystal lattice a1 a2 a3 is defined by (π is pi btw)

b1=2π (a2xa3/a1.a2xa3), b2=2π (a3xa1/a1.a2xa3) , b3=2π(a1xa2/a1.a2xa3)

the volume V is defined by a1.a2xa3 so i have to figure that out, but if i were to do a2xa3, would it be:
i j k
0 1 0
0 0 1

= (1-0)i + (0-0)j + (0-0)k = so i take it this would equal a(1,0,0) which is a1?, so is a1.a2xa3 basically a1.a1 or am i horribly confused?

it might be the latter but ill soldier on, if it is a1.a1 then does this not just give us the answer a(1,0,0)? or should i have got rid of the a at some point? or should i just be getting an integer? can someone please give me a gentle push in this question i really think i could do most of it myself I am just a bit confused and stressed.But from here I am stuck, i took 2 years off my degree and I've found that my basic vector calculation skills have left me completely. Do i do the cross product first or the dot? any help appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hmm... Towards the end you confused me with all the run on questions. The cross product of a2 and a3 is close. You forgot that each of those vectors have the magnitude "a". So the factor out front should be [itex]a^2[/itex] and not [itex]a[/itex].

Then taking the dot product with a1 gives you [itex]a^3[/itex]. This makes sense since the volume of a cube with the side 'a' is just [itex]a^3[/itex].

1. What is a reciprocal lattice?

A reciprocal lattice is a mathematical construct used to describe the periodicity of a crystal lattice in reciprocal space. It is the Fourier transform of the direct lattice and can be used to understand the diffraction patterns produced by a crystal.

2. How is the reciprocal lattice related to the direct lattice?

The reciprocal lattice is related to the direct lattice by a set of reciprocal vectors. These vectors have the same magnitude as the direct lattice vectors, but their direction is perpendicular to the direct lattice vector they correspond to. The reciprocal lattice is also periodic with the same periodicity as the direct lattice.

3. What is the importance of the reciprocal lattice in crystallography?

The reciprocal lattice is essential in crystallography as it provides a framework for understanding the diffraction patterns produced by crystals. It also allows for the determination of the crystal structure and the orientation of the crystal lattice in reciprocal space.

4. How is the reciprocal lattice calculated?

The reciprocal lattice can be calculated by taking the inverse of the direct lattice. This can be done using matrix algebra or by using the Miller indices of the direct lattice to determine the spacing and orientation of the reciprocal lattice vectors.

5. What is the relationship between the reciprocal lattice and Bragg's law?

Bragg's law states that for a crystal to diffract X-rays, the path difference between the scattered X-rays must be an integer multiple of the wavelength. The reciprocal lattice provides information on the spacing and orientation of the crystal lattice, which allows for the calculation of the path difference and the prediction of diffraction patterns according to Bragg's law.