Understanding Tension in a Hanging Chain on a Fixed Sphere - Homework Help

• Thread starter mooncrater
  • Start date
In summary: But you don't have the tension in the chain in the equation. Indeed, that's what's missing. Remember, it will not be constant along the the chain.
mooncrater

Homework Statement

The question says
A chain of mass per unit length k and length 1.5 m rest on a fixed smooth sphere of radius R= 2/π m
. Tension in the thread is asked.The question figure is attached.

Homework Equations

N/a

The Attempt at a Solution

IMG_20150217_145935.jpg
IMG_20150217_145935.jpg

I think that the tension has to balance two types of forces :
1) rightward force of part AC(touching)
2)downward force of part CB(hanging)
Finding first type of force:
Using Fbd(attached) of small part taken in touching part
Then Ncos(theta)=(dm)g
→ N=(dm)g/cos(th.)...(1)
Length of that part =R(d(th.))
mass of that small part =Rk(d(th.))
Using Fbd rightward force on the small part =Nsin(th.)=(dm)g(tan(th.))
=Rkgtan(th.)(d(th.))
Now if I want to integrate it , i would have to use limits from 0 to π/2
BUT tan (th.) is not integrable b/w 0 to π/2 . So what's wrong with my answer ?

Attachments

• IMG_20150217_145912.jpg
    IMG_20150217_145912.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 550
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm missing something in your force balance for the little chunk of chain. I see an N and an mg and they clearly don't balance. What force could possibly complete the picture ?

BvU said:
I'm missing something in your force balance for the little chunk of chain. I see an N and an mg and they clearly don't balance. What force could possibly complete the picture ?
It could have been friction BUT the sphere is smooth so , what can be the force (you are talking about ) left out that balances the tension of the thread ?

mooncrater said:
It could have been friction BUT the sphere is smooth so , what can be the force (you are talking about ) left out that balances the tension of the thread ?
But you don't have the tension in the chain in the equation. Indeed, that's what's missing. Remember, it will not be constant along the the chain.

You have to consider the tension on both sides of the element along the tangential direction!

Related to Understanding Tension in a Hanging Chain on a Fixed Sphere - Homework Help

1. What is the importance of asking "What's wrong with my answer?"

Asking "What's wrong with my answer?" is a crucial step in the scientific process. It allows for critical evaluation and improvement of your answer through constructive feedback from others. This leads to a more accurate and reliable understanding of a topic.

2. How can I determine if my answer is correct?

The best way to determine if your answer is correct is to compare it with established scientific evidence and data. This can include conducting experiments, analyzing data, and consulting with other experts in the field.

3. What should I do if I receive conflicting feedback about my answer?

If you receive conflicting feedback about your answer, it is important to consider the source of the feedback and the evidence they are providing. You may also want to conduct further research and gather more data to support your answer.

4. Can I trust the feedback I receive about my answer?

It is important to critically evaluate the feedback you receive about your answer. Consider the expertise and credibility of the source, as well as the evidence and reasoning they provide to support their feedback.

5. How can I improve my answer based on feedback?

To improve your answer based on feedback, carefully consider the feedback and the evidence provided. Use this information to revise and refine your answer, and continue to seek out additional feedback and research to further improve it.