Understanding the Arrow Notation in Organic Chemistry Elimination

In summary, organic chemistry elimination is a type of reaction that involves the loss of atoms or functional groups to form a double bond or ring structure. E1 and E2 elimination are two types of elimination reactions that differ in their mechanisms. The leaving group plays a significant role in the rate of elimination, with a good leaving group allowing for a faster reaction. Elimination reactions can be used to synthesize specific products by carefully selecting starting materials and reaction conditions. The regioselectivity of elimination reactions is influenced by factors such as the strength of the acid or base used, steric hindrance, and stability of the products.
Carbon123
Please post this type of questions in the homework section using the template.
Can anyone help me with this ?
What does the arrow mean ? Is it cis or trans,the base is small so it should be an E2 elimination with zaitsev product.Though I think it may be due to the beta hydrogen being unavailable,but I do not know whether the arrow means from the upper or lower /cis trans side ?

Attachments

• 20171202_212824.jpg
    20171202_212824.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 427
Physics news on Phys.org
I’m assuming the arrow means that this proton is abstracted with the ethoxide base. For the product, consider two things: 1) what is the resultant species from abstracting that proton, and 2) what is its stability relative to its isomers.

1. What is organic chemistry elimination?

Organic chemistry elimination is a type of reaction in which a molecule loses atoms or functional groups to form a double bond or a ring structure.

2. What is the difference between E1 and E2 elimination?

E1 elimination occurs in two steps and involves the formation of a carbocation intermediate, while E2 elimination occurs in one step and does not involve a carbocation intermediate.

3. How does the leaving group affect the rate of elimination?

The leaving group significantly impacts the rate of elimination. A good leaving group is one that can easily accept an electron pair, which allows for a faster elimination reaction.

4. Can elimination reactions be used to synthesize specific products?

Yes, elimination reactions can be used to synthesize specific products by carefully selecting the starting materials and reaction conditions.

5. What are the major factors that influence the regioselectivity of elimination reactions?

The major factors that influence the regioselectivity of elimination reactions include the strength of the acid or base used, the steric hindrance of the reactants, and the stability of the resulting products.