Understanding the Cauchy Stress Tensor: Clearing Up My Confusion

In summary: The element could be rotating and I cannot see it demanded that ##\tau_xy = \tau_yx##.The angular momentum of a rigid body is conserved, so angular momentum must be balanced when tensorial quantities are evaluated.
Kushwoho44
I have been trying to fully grasp the concept of the Cauchy stress tensor and so I thought I'd make a post where I clear up my confusion. There may be subsequent replies as I pose more questions.

505px-Components_stress_tensor_cartesian.svg.png

I am specifically confused at how the stress tensor relates to the control volume in the image above. My understanding has evolved to the conclusion: The stress tensor is defined at every point in the field, thus there would be a tensor defined at each point in the above control volume.

Questions: The control volume illustration above, though, seems to suggest that you can shrink the control volume to an infinitesimal element to where the stresses on that element will be described by the stress tensor. This is fine, but I cannot seem to understand how the stresses on the 'hidden' faces are included in the tensor? In the case of a fluid flowing, we cannot assume static condition and deduce that they are necessarily equal and opposite to the stresses on the 'front' faces?

Kind regards.

Attachments

• 505px-Components_stress_tensor_cartesian.svg.png
    505px-Components_stress_tensor_cartesian.svg.png
    10.5 KB · Views: 745
Engineering news on Phys.org
The stress tensor has nothing to do with the forces on a volume. It has to do with the force across a surface. Since it is a rank 2 tensor, it describes a linear map from vectors (the directed area element) to vectors (the force on an area element).

To add to what Orodruin said, which, incidentally is a much better way of looking at the application of the stress tensor, I would also say that the forces on the area elements on the hidden faces (exerted by the surrounding fluid on the control volume) can differ (a small amount) from those on the exposed faces. This results in an actual force balance on the control volume.

Orodruin said:
The stress tensor has nothing to do with the forces on a volume. It has to do with the force across a surface. Since it is a rank 2 tensor, it describes a linear map from vectors (the directed area element) to vectors (the force on an area element).

Chestermiller said:
To add to what Orodruin said, which, incidentally is a much better way of looking at the application of the stress tensor, I would also say that the forces on the area elements on the hidden faces (exerted by the surrounding fluid on the control volume) can differ (a small amount) from those on the exposed faces. This results in an actual force balance on the control volume.

Orodruin, ChesterMiller, thanks for your responses. A follow-up:

So, would I be correct to say that on each face in the illustrated control volume, there would be one normal stress and two shear stress components to the force on that area element. This is a special case as the face is normal to the reference axis. However, if we were to 'slice' and examine a face that is not normal to any of the reference axis, we would see that on this surface, there are 6 components to the force, three normal stresses, three shear stresses?

Further, I have seen it written that ##\tau_xy = \tau_yx## because of static equilibrium and the consequent need for angular momentum to be balanced. But in a fluid element, why is this still the case? The element could be rotating and I cannot see it demanded that ##\tau_xy = \tau_yx##.

Kind regards,

Kush
Mentor: fix latex

Last edited by a moderator:
Kushwoho44 said:
However, if we were to 'slice' and examine a face that is not normal to any of the reference axis, we would see that on this surface, there are 6 components to the force, three normal stresses, three shear stresses?
No, definitely not. A force is a vector and has 3 components. The force on an infinitesimal surface element ##d\vec S## is given by ##d\vec F = \sigma \cdot d\vec S## and integrating this over an entire surface of a volume gives the total surface force on that volume.

However, the force across a surface depends on the orientation of the surface. Hence, the stress tensor has 6 independent components.

Orodruin said:
No, definitely not. A force is a vector and has 3 components. The force on an infinitesimal surface element ##d\vec S## is given by ##d\vec F = \sigma \cdot d\vec S## and integrating this over an entire surface of a volume gives the total surface force on that volume.

Hi, apologies, the '6' forces was a typo.

Yes, I do think I have a clear picture now. So, at each point in space, there are six components of stress (3 shear, 3 normal). If we are interested in the forces/stresses on a surface, we take the dot product of the area/normal vector to get the result we are after.

However, I still don't quite understand the second part of my questions:
Kushwoho44 said:
Further, I have seen it written that ##\tau_xy = \tau_yx## because of static equilibrium and the consequent need for angular momentum to be balanced. But in a fluid element, why is this still the case? The element could be rotating and I cannot see it demanded that ##\tau_xy = \tau_yx##.

Kushwoho44 said:
I may be mistaken, but I think this is required in order to be consistent with the stress tensor being proportional to the rate of deformation tensor (for a Newtonian fluid), while any rigid body rotations of the observer (or equivalently, rigid body rotational aspects of the fluid kinematics) are not mathematically allowed to contribute to the state of stress (since they do not constitute true deformation of the fluid).

1. What is the Cauchy stress tensor and why is it important in science?

The Cauchy stress tensor is a mathematical concept used in continuum mechanics to describe the stress state at a point in a material. It is important because it allows for the calculation of forces and deformation in a material, which is crucial in understanding the mechanical behavior of objects and structures.

2. How is the Cauchy stress tensor defined and what are its components?

The Cauchy stress tensor is typically represented by a 3x3 matrix, with each element representing a specific stress component in a particular direction. The components are normal stresses (tensile or compressive) in the x, y, and z directions, and shear stresses in the xy, xz, and yz planes.

3. What is the relationship between the Cauchy stress tensor and the material's deformation?

The Cauchy stress tensor is directly related to the material's deformation through the Cauchy stress-strain relation. This relation describes how the stresses in a material are related to its deformation, and can be used to determine the material's mechanical properties.

4. How is the Cauchy stress tensor different from the Cauchy strain tensor?

The Cauchy stress tensor describes the stress state at a point in a material, while the Cauchy strain tensor describes the deformation of the material at that point. Both tensors are used in conjunction to understand the mechanical behavior of a material.

5. How is the Cauchy stress tensor used in real-world applications?

The Cauchy stress tensor is used in a variety of fields, including engineering, material science, and geology. It is used to analyze the structural integrity of buildings and bridges, predict the failure of materials under stress, and understand the deformation of rocks and soils in geological processes.