Understanding the chemistry behind: Why O2 and not I2?

In summary, the process for estimating O2 levels using Winkler's method involves collecting a water sample and adding manganese sulfate, alkali-iodide reagent, and concentrated sulfuric acid. Then, the sample is titrated with sodium thiosulfate and starch until it turns clear. The formula for calculating the amount of O2 is derived from the stoichiometry of the reactions, with intermediates cancelling out to result in the correct ratio between oxygen and thiosulfate.
Tyto alba
Please post this type of questions in HW section using the template.
We were doing O2 estimation by Winkler's method

The procedure and reactions involved in this experiment are:
  1. Carefully fill a 300-mL glass stoppered bottle brim-full with sample water.
  2. Immediately add 2mL of manganese sulfate to the collection bottle.
  3. Add 2 mL of alkali-iodide reagent (NaOH + KI) in the same manner.
  4. Stopper the bottle with care to be sure no air is introduced. Mix the sample by inverting several times.
  5. Add 2 mL of concentrated sulfuric acid.Then mix well.
  6. In a glass flask, titrate 100 mL of the sample with sodium thiosulfate to a pale straw color. Titrate by slowly dropping titrant solution from a calibrated pipette into the flask and continually stirring or swirling the sample water.
  7. Add 2 mL of starch solution so a blue color forms.
  8. Continue slowly titrating until the sample turns clear.
    Capture.png

Now the formula to calculate the amount of O2 is

Capture.png

Well don't we use the formula V1 N1 = V2 N2 only when two substances, compound-1 and compound-2 are reacting?
    If we look at the reactions 1 Na2S2O3 is not reacting with 1O2 but 1/2 molecule of I2. Well then again may be had the number of I2 produced by one O2 was the same as the number of I2 reacting with Na2S2O3, we could still use O2 in place of I2. But here it is not so.
    This doesn't make sense at all.

Summing up: Why/How do we use this formula with O2 and not I2 when it is not reacting with Na2S2O3?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
A lot depends on how you define the normality of thiosulfate.

In general you should derive the formula following the stoichiometry. Can you write the overall reaction? Intermediates should cancel out and in the end you should get the correct stoichiometric ratio between oxygen and thiosulfate.

1. What is the difference between O2 and I2?

Oxygen (O2) and iodine (I2) are both elements found on the periodic table. The main difference between them is their atomic structure. Oxygen has 8 protons and 8 neutrons in its nucleus, while iodine has 53 protons and 74 neutrons.

2. Why is O2 more stable than I2?

Oxygen is more stable than iodine because it has a higher electronegativity, meaning it has a stronger attraction for electrons. This allows oxygen atoms to form stronger bonds with each other, making O2 more stable than I2.

3. How does the molecular structure of O2 and I2 affect their reactivity?

The molecular structure of O2 and I2 plays a significant role in their reactivity. Oxygen has a linear molecular structure, making it more reactive compared to iodine, which has a larger and more complex molecular structure. This allows oxygen to easily bond with other elements, while iodine tends to be more inert.

4. What are the main properties of O2 and I2?

Both O2 and I2 are non-metallic elements and are diatomic molecules in their natural state. However, oxygen is a gas at room temperature, while iodine is a solid. O2 is also highly reactive, while I2 is relatively unreactive.

5. How does the chemistry behind O2 and I2 affect our daily lives?

The chemistry behind O2 and I2 has a significant impact on our daily lives. Oxygen is essential for respiration and is found in the air we breathe. It is also used in many industrial processes, such as steel production and water treatment. Iodine, on the other hand, is commonly used in medical treatments and as a disinfectant. It is also found in foods and is important for thyroid function in the human body.