Understanding the Completeness Axiom: A Discussion on Ross' Analysis

In summary, the conversation discusses an example (e) in Ross' book on analysis that does not have a minimum, but the questioner is confused as to why it also does not have a maximum. The answer clarifies that the set can get arbitrarily close to zero, but cannot actually reach it. The questioner realizes their mistake and thanks the answerer.
Joppy
MHB
I was reading through the early chapters of Ross' book on analysis in the section covering the completeness axiom. See below.

View attachment 6384

Followed by a few examples.

View attachment 6385

I'm confused as to why in the example (e), the set does not have a minimum.

I can understand that it does not have a maximum, but it seems there should be a maximum. What am i not understanding?

EDIT: The full pdf can be found https://issuu.com/juanjosesanchez22/docs/ross_sequenses.

Attachments

• snip1.PNG
    snip1.PNG
    34.7 KB · Views: 58
  • snip2.PNG
    snip2.PNG
    29.5 KB · Views: 64
Physics news on Phys.org
It's one of those many situations in which the numbers can get arbitrarily close to something (in this case, zero), but can't actually get there. Ask yourself this: is there any natural number which, when plugged into the formula $n^{(-1)^n}$, gives you zero? But you can see from the progression that every other number is getting smaller and smaller, closer and closer to zero.

Ackbach said:
It's one of those many situations in which the numbers can get arbitrarily close to something (in this case, zero), but can't actually get there. Ask yourself this: is there any natural number which, when plugged into the formula $n^{(-1)^n}$, gives you zero? But you can see from the progression that every other number is getting smaller and smaller, closer and closer to zero.

Ah how silly of me! For some reason i was (very foolishly) focusing on the index of numbers in the set... Thanks.

1. What is the Completeness Axiom?

The Completeness Axiom, also known as the Axiom of Completeness, is a fundamental principle in mathematics that states that any nonempty set of real numbers that is bounded above must have a least upper bound, or supremum. It is a crucial concept in analysis and is used to prove the existence of limits, derivatives, and integrals.

2. Who is Ross and what is his analysis?

Ross refers to philosopher and mathematician Frank Plumpton Ramsey, who published the paper "The Foundations of Mathematics" in 1926, which included an analysis of the Completeness Axiom. In his analysis, Ramsey proposed that the Completeness Axiom is a necessary consequence of the existence of the real numbers.

3. Why is the Completeness Axiom important?

The Completeness Axiom is important because it provides a rigorous and consistent foundation for the real numbers, which are essential in many areas of mathematics, including calculus, analysis, and geometry. It allows us to make precise statements about the behavior of real numbers and to prove the existence of important mathematical concepts.

4. What are the implications of the Completeness Axiom?

The Completeness Axiom has several implications, including the existence of limits, derivatives, and integrals, the existence of solutions to many mathematical problems, and the ability to compare and order real numbers. It also leads to the development of important mathematical concepts such as continuity, compactness, and convergence.

5. Are there any criticisms of the Completeness Axiom?

Yes, there have been some criticisms of the Completeness Axiom, mainly from philosophers who argue that the concept of infinity and the existence of the real numbers are not well-defined and can lead to paradoxes. However, the Completeness Axiom is widely accepted and has been proven to be consistent and useful in mathematics.