• Thread starter Chijioke
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Formula
Chijioke
Homework Statement
Is shell number same as energy level
Relevant Equations
The maximum number of electron per shell is given as $$2(n^2)$$ where n is energy level number. And energy level is same as electron shell.
Looking at Cacium for th electron arrangements according to shell numbers is 2, 8,8,2 since Cacium have four shells.
Going by the formula
1st shell has:$$2n^2=2\times 1^2= 2 ~electrons $$
2nd shell has:$$2n^2=2\times 2^2= 8 ~electrons $$
3rd shell has:$$2n^2=2\times 3^2= 18 ~electrons $$
But unfortunately, Cacium has only twenty electrons.
I am thinking that the remaining 10 electrons should go into the 3rd energy level. But if that happens then Cacium would not be fit to still remain in period 4.
So why is the electron filling per shell for Cacium 2,8,8,2 and not 2,8,10 according to the formula giving for the maximum number of electron that can be found in a shell?
Thank you.

Likes topsquark
Physics news on Phys.org
The formula ##2n^2## gives the maximum number of electrons that can have the same principal quantum number ##n##, and given the name electron shell. However, for many-electron atoms, the energy does not only depend on ##n##. It turns out that electrons will be found in the ##n=4## shell before the ##n=3## shell is filled.

Likes topsquark
Drakkith said:
That formula is for the maximum number of electrons per shell, not the actual. In calcium, the last two electrons go into the 4s orbital.
You reply makes it look like as if there two types of maximum electrons in a shell:
1. Maximum number of electron and
2. Actual maximum number of electrons.
Please I need to understand something here.

There aren't two maximums and I never said there were.

Chijioke said:
Please I need to understand something here.
I'm not sure what you are looking for. If I can put 20 apples in a box, but I only put 12 into the box, then there's the maximum number of apples per box and the actual.

The details of how electrons go into their orbitals is probably beyond the scope of your class.

1. What is the concept of electron per shell?

The concept of electron per shell refers to the arrangement of electrons in an atom's electron shells or energy levels. These shells are designated by the letters K, L, M, N, etc., with K being the innermost shell and each subsequent shell being farther from the nucleus. Each shell can hold a specific number of electrons, with the first shell (K) holding a maximum of 2 electrons, the second shell (L) holding a maximum of 8 electrons, and so on.

2. How many electrons can each shell hold?

The first shell (K) can hold a maximum of 2 electrons, the second shell (L) can hold a maximum of 8 electrons, the third shell (M) can hold a maximum of 18 electrons, the fourth shell (N) can hold a maximum of 32 electrons, and so on. The maximum number of electrons that each shell can hold can be calculated using the formula 2n^2, where n is the shell number.

3. What is the significance of the electron per shell concept?

The electron per shell concept is significant because it helps us understand the electronic structure of atoms. By knowing how many electrons can be accommodated in each shell, we can determine the number of valence electrons an atom has, which is crucial in understanding its chemical properties and reactivity.

4. How do electrons fill up the shells?

Electrons fill up the shells in a specific order known as the Aufbau principle. According to this principle, electrons will occupy the lowest energy level available before filling up higher energy levels. This means that the first shell (K) will be filled before the second shell (L), and so on. However, there are exceptions to this rule, such as when the 4s orbital is filled before the 3d orbital in transition metals.

5. Can the number of electrons per shell vary?

Yes, the number of electrons per shell can vary depending on the element. For example, hydrogen and helium only have one electron in their first shell, while elements with atomic numbers higher than 18 can have more than 8 electrons in their second shell due to the presence of d and f orbitals. Additionally, the number of electrons in each shell can also vary due to the gaining or losing of electrons during chemical reactions.