Why do shells begin to hold more electrons?

In summary: So you can see that as the energy increases, the volume in phase space available to the electrons also increases, allowing for more electrons to occupy higher energy levels. In summary, the number of electrons that can be held in each shell follows the 2n^2 rule, with the number of electrons increasing as the energy level increases. This is due to the nature of quantum mechanics and the availability of volume in phase space for the electrons.
Metals
So I've been told about the 2n^2 rule, and how the number of electrons held in each shell goes 2, 8, 18, 32, 50, 72, etc... But I am not aware of why shells further out from the nucleus are able to hold more electrons. Does this have something to do with spdf or energy levels?

Thank you.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
For neutral atoms, the number of electrons around the nuclear must provide the same charge as the number of protons (positive charges) in the nucleus. Note that the hydrogen atoms has a number of emission lines, so there are a number of 'orbitals' that an electron can occupy, but there is one ground state.

The 'orbits' are a reflection of the quantum states of electrons around a nucleus. They are described by a set of quantum numbers that address the potential energy, angular momentum and magnetic interaction of the electrons. The principal quantum number, n, determines principal energy level, and angular or azimuthal quantum number, l (s, p, d, f) is associated with the orbital angular momentum.

http://chemed.chem.purdue.edu/genchem/topicreview/bp/ch6/quantum.html

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/quantum/hydcol.html

Likes Pepper Mint
Astronuc said:
For neutral atoms, the number of electrons around the nuclear must provide the same charge as the number of protons (positive charges) in the nucleus. Note that the hydrogen atoms has a number of emission lines, so there are a number of 'orbitals' that an electron can occupy, but there is one ground state.

The 'orbits' are a reflection of the quantum states of electrons around a nucleus. They are described by a set of quantum numbers that address the potential energy, angular momentum and magnetic interaction of the electrons. The principal quantum number, n, determines principal energy level, and angular or azimuthal quantum number, l (s, p, d, f) is associated with the orbital angular momentum.

http://chemed.chem.purdue.edu/genchem/topicreview/bp/ch6/quantum.html

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/quantum/hydcol.html
Why is it that the 'shells' further out from the nucleus have a higher energy level? And why can higher energy levels hold more electrons?

Metals said:
Why is it that the 'shells' further out from the nucleus have a higher energy level?

Because that's the way it is?

Seriously, "why" question is not the best one to ask here. In general it is often a bad question to ask in science.

I could answer "because when you calculate, you will find out, that the energy is proportional to -1/n2, so the higher the n, the higher the energy". Does it answer the question "why"? No, it doesn't, as you can ask "why" again. "Because the math says so". "Why?". "Get lost". Do you see the problem? ;)

Borek said:
Because that's the way it is?

Seriously, "why" question is not the best one to ask here. In general it is often a bad question to ask in science.

I could answer "because when you calculate, you will find out, that the energy is proportional to -1/n2, so the higher the n, the higher the energy". Does it answer the question "why"? No, it doesn't, as you can ask "why" again. "Because the math says so". "Why?". "Get lost". Do you see the problem? ;)

I see, fair enough. I'll try found out else where some time, thanks.

The energy of the electrons in shells further away from the nucleus increases, as the coulombic attraction by the nucleus is weaker (it falls off like 1/r with the distance r). That a higher shell can hold more electrons is a consequence of quantum mechanics. Namely, we know from Heisenberg's uncertainty relation that an electron will occupy a certain volume in phase space (which is spanned by the ordinary spatial coordinates + the momentum values). I will try to estimate very roughly how the total volume in phase space available to the electrons varies with energy. I shall use that potential and kinetic energy are of the same order of magnitude as the total energy E. Furthermore I drop all constants which do not depend on n or E:

Equating ##E_\mathrm{pot}\sim E \sim 1/n^2 \sim 1/r## we find that the volume of a sphere containing the electrons has a volume proportional to ##n^6##. Equating Kinetic energy, we obtain ##E_\mathrm{kin}\sim E \sim p^2 \sim 1/n^2## or ##p\sim 1/n##. Hence the total volume in phase space increases like ##p^3 r^3\sim n^3##. As n is the total number of shells up to the given energy, the volume of the shells is proportional to ##n^3/n=n^2##.

1. Why do shells begin to hold more electrons?

Shells begin to hold more electrons because of an increase in the energy level of the atom. As the energy level increases, the electrons are able to occupy higher energy orbitals, allowing the atom to hold more electrons in its outermost shell.

2. What determines the number of electrons a shell can hold?

The number of electrons a shell can hold is determined by the number of orbitals in that shell. Each orbital can hold a maximum of 2 electrons, therefore, the number of electrons a shell can hold is equal to 2n^2, where n is the shell number.

3. How does the number of protons in an atom affect the number of electrons in its shells?

The number of protons in an atom determines the number of electrons in its outermost shell. This is because atoms are electrically neutral, meaning they have an equal number of protons and electrons. Therefore, the number of protons in the nucleus determines the number of electrons needed to balance the charge and fill the outermost shell.

4. Can shells hold an infinite number of electrons?

No, shells cannot hold an infinite number of electrons. Each shell has a limited number of orbitals and each orbital can only hold a maximum of 2 electrons. Once all the orbitals in a shell are filled, the electrons will start filling the next available shell.

5. How does the number of electrons in an atom's outermost shell affect its chemical properties?

The number of electrons in an atom's outermost shell, also known as the valence electrons, determines its chemical properties. This is because the valence electrons are involved in chemical bonding and reactions. Atoms with a full outermost shell tend to be stable and unreactive, while atoms with incomplete outermost shells tend to react with other atoms to form compounds.