Understanding the Dagger Notation in Quantum Mechanics

In summary: So, I think that in some cases there is no harm to think of it as a generalization, in particular, when dealing with operators and states in a Hilbert space.That's a good point, and a good example.I think it's important to keep in mind that the dagger has two different meanings: (1) in the context of matrices, it means Hermitian conjugate (transpose + complex conjugate of elements), and (2) in the context of a general vector space with a dual space, it means adjoint of a linear operator.In the context of a Hilbert space, the two concepts coincide, because the dual space of a Hilbert space is itself, and
Mayan Fung
let say I have a vector |a> and |b> and a transformation matrix A
What is the difference between <a|A|b> and <a|Ab>?
And also, I don't quite understand why <a|Ab> = <A+a|b>. Where does this identity come from?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
None. They mean the same thing.

andrewkirk said:
Oh thanks! Do you have any idea about the identity <a|Ab> = <A+a|b>?

andrewkirk said:
Does that also mean that <Aa| = A<a|?

Let me backtrack a bit. They denote the same value, which is an element of the field F over which the vector space is set.

However, they can have different interpretations.

##\langle a|A|b\rangle## can be interpreted to mean either ##\langle a|Ab\rangle## or ##\langle A^\dagger a|b\rangle##. Those two items are different inner products, but they have the same value.

Also, ##\langle a|A|b\rangle## can be interpreted as the result of applying the element ##\langle a|A## of the dual space to the element ##|b\rangle## of the vector space. There is an associative law in operation whereby:

$$\langle A^\dagger a|b\rangle=(\langle a|A)|b\rangle=\langle a|(A|b\rangle)=\langle a|Ab\rangle$$
so we can drop the parentheses and just write ##\langle a|A|b\rangle##.

Chan Pok Fung said:
Does that also mean that <Aa| = A<a|?
No. In fact ##A\langle a|## cannot not mean anything, as ##\langle a|## is a function from ##V## to ##F## and ##A## is a function from ##V## to ##V##, so we cannot apply ##A## to the result of ##\langle a|##.

What you can write is ##\langle a|A=\langle A^\dagger a|## where ##A^\dagger## denotes the adjoint of ##A##.
Chan Pok Fung said:
Oh thanks! Do you have any idea about the identity <a|Ab> = <A+a|b>?
The right side of that identity has no meaning in general, because ##A## is a linear operator and ##a## is just a label for a vector, and the two cannot be added. In a particular context that expression might be able to have a meaning, but you'd need to say what that context is, and what the label ##a## means.

Last edited:
Likes Igael
andrewkirk said:
Let me backtrack a bit. They denote the same value, which is an element of the field F over which the vector space is set.

However, they can have different interpretations.

##\langle a|A|b\rangle## can be interpreted to mean either ##\langle a|Ab\rangle## or ##\langle A^\dagger a|b\rangle##. Those two items are different inner products, but they have the same value.

Also, ##\langle a|A|b\rangle## can be interpreted as the result of applying the element ##\langle a|A## of the dual space to the element ##|b\rangle## of the vector space. There is an associative law in operation whereby:

$$\langle A^\dagger a|b\rangle=(\langle a|A)|b\rangle=\langle a|(A|b\rangle)=\langle a|Ab\rangle$$
so we can drop the parentheses and just write ##\langle a|A|b\rangle##.
Thanks, but I still don't quite understand why⟨Aa|=⟨a|A. I learned that (AB) = BA
So isn't ⟨Aa|= (⟨a|A) ?
um... I interpret ⟨Aa| as A<a|

Oh! I think I got that.
⟨Aa| = (Aa) = aA = <a|A
Am I correct?

Chan Pok Fung said:
So isn't ⟨A†a|= (⟨a|A)† ?
No, at least not in my experience. The 'dagger' ##\dagger## denotes taking the adjoint of an operator, so it can only be applied to operators, which are functions from V to V. But ##\langle a|A## is a function (map) from V to F. That is not an operator. It is an element of the dual space V*. So we cannot use the dagger symbol on it.

By the way, the notation ##\langle A^\dagger a|## denotes the dual vector of ##|A^\dagger a\rangle##.

I find it really helps when working with these things to keep a clear view of what sort of a map each element is. We have (1) vectors in V, (2) dual vectors, which are maps from V to F, and (3) linear operators from V to V. We also often have (4) scalars in F, which can be applied multiplicatively to any of the other objects, on the left or the right.

If in doubt about how to interpret an expression, work through and identify what type of object each symbol represents.

Likes Mayan Fung
@andrewkirk : nice explanation. But, some authors use the dagger much like a generalization of complex conjugate. For example in ##\Big(A^\dagger\big\vert f\big\rangle \Big)^\dagger \big\vert g \big\rangle = \big\langle f\big\vert A \big\vert g\big\rangle##

1. What is bracket notation?

Bracket notation is a way of accessing and manipulating properties of an object in JavaScript. It involves using square brackets [] to access the value of a specific property instead of using dot notation.

2. How is bracket notation different from dot notation?

The main difference between bracket notation and dot notation is that bracket notation allows for more flexibility in accessing properties of an object. It allows for the use of variables and expressions as the property name, whereas dot notation only allows for the use of literal property names.

3. When should I use bracket notation?

You should use bracket notation when you need to access properties dynamically, meaning the property name is not known until the code is executed. It is also useful when the property name contains special characters or spaces that make it invalid for dot notation.

4. Can I use bracket notation to set values as well?

Yes, bracket notation can be used for both getting and setting values of properties. To set a value, you would use the assignment operator (=) after the property name, followed by the value you want to assign.

5. How can I use bracket notation to access nested properties?

To access nested properties using bracket notation, you would use multiple sets of square brackets, each representing the next level of nesting. For example, if you have an object called "person" with a property called "address" which contains a property called "city", you could access the city property using bracket notation like this: person["address"]["city"].