Understanding the Difference Between 1 and 2 in Natural Numbers

• MHB
  • Thread starter HashTab
  • Start date
In summary: Someone just explained to me that sets that are not each other are different than each other because sets are different than what they are notTrue or no?? ANYTHING, whether a set or not, is "different than what they are not"! That's pretty much what "different" means.
HashTab
first of all, id like to thank the admin for taking down a rather embarrassing post I had put up earlier. I'll try to do better this time.

N = any natural number
1 = xUx
2 = xUxUx

What exactly is the difference between 1 and 2? Is each instance of x different? If so, how?

Physics news on Phys.org
Someone just explained to me that sets that are not each other are different than each other because sets are different than what they are not

True or no?

Last edited:
Simmer said:
Someone just explained to me that sets that are not each other are different than each other because sets are different than what they are not

True or no?
?
ANYTHING, whether a set or not, is "different than what they are not"! That's pretty much what "different" means.

I suspect that what they were trying to tell you is that a set is "defined" by what it contains. Two sets are "equal" if and only if they contain exactly the same things.

Last edited:
Simmer said:
first of all, id like to thank the admin for taking down a rather embarrassing post I had put up earlier. I'll try to do better this time.

N = any natural number
1 = xUx
2 = xUxUx

What exactly is the difference between 1 and 2? Is each instance of x different? If so, how?
You wrote this- what do YOU intend "x" to mean? Normally, unless something is said to the contrary, one symbol corresponds to one mathematical object. In particular, if x represents one set then both xUx and xUxUx are the same, x, because the union of any set with itself is just itself again. xUx= x so xUxUx= (xUx)Ux= xUx= x.

However, if it is clearly stated that "x" is a "place holder", that "x" is not a specific set but just represents any set, then xUx might mean "the union of any two sets" and xUxUx might mean "the union of any three sets. (Though I would consider that poor notation.)

(What does "N is a natural number" have to do with this?)

1. What is the difference between 1 and 2 in natural numbers?

1 and 2 are both natural numbers, but they have different values. 1 is the smallest natural number and is often referred to as the "unit" or "unity". 2 is the next natural number after 1 and is often referred to as the "first even number". In terms of quantity, 2 is one more than 1.

2. How are 1 and 2 represented in mathematical notation?

In mathematical notation, 1 is represented as "1" and 2 is represented as "2". These are known as Arabic numerals and are commonly used to represent natural numbers.

3. What are the properties of 1 and 2 in natural numbers?

1 and 2 have several properties in natural numbers. They are both positive integers, meaning they are greater than 0. They are also both even numbers, meaning they are divisible by 2. Additionally, 1 is the identity element for multiplication, meaning any number multiplied by 1 will equal that number, while 2 is the first prime number.

4. How do 1 and 2 relate to each other in natural numbers?

1 and 2 are consecutive natural numbers, meaning they are right next to each other in the number sequence. 2 is also the double of 1, as it is the result of multiplying 1 by 2.

5. Can 1 and 2 be used interchangeably in mathematics?

No, 1 and 2 cannot be used interchangeably in mathematics. While they are both natural numbers, they have different values and cannot be substituted for each other in equations or calculations. However, they do have some similar properties and can be used together in certain mathematical concepts.