Understanding the Dirac Commutation Relations in QFT

In summary, the conversation discusses the commutation relation for the Dirac field in QFT and the confusion surrounding the use of indices a and b. The left-hand-side and right-hand-side of the equation both represent 4x4 matrices with fixed numbers, and the indices a and b specify one of the four spinor components of the Dirac field. This clarification helps to understand the mathematical aspect of the commutation relation.
Silviu
Hello! I am reading Peskin's book on QFT and at a point he wants to show that the Dirac field can't be quantified using this commutation relations: ##[\psi_a(x),\psi_b^\dagger(x)]=\delta^3(x-y)\delta_{ab}## (where ##\psi## is the solution to Dirac equation). I am not sure I understand the math behind the commutation relation (I understand why physically it is wrong) as you have a column and a raw vector, so doing the commutation you have the difference between a number and a 4x4 matrix and I am not sure how does this work. Can someone explain it to me? Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
Just to solve your misconception about "physically wrong", what you have on the left-hand-side is again a 4x4 matrix (has indices a,b running from 1 to 4), and similarily for the right-hand-side.

The in
ChrisVer said:
Just to solve your misconception about "physically wrong", what you have on the left-hand-side is again a 4x4 matrix (has indices a,b running from 1 to 4), and similarily for the right-hand-side.
The indeces a and b are fixed, they don't run from 1 to 4. They just specify the spin state.

Silviu said:
The indeces a and b are fixed, they don't run from 1 to 4. They just specify the spin state.
what do you mean by fixed? the equation has 16 fixed numbers in the left-hand-side (like a 4x4 matrix) and 16 fixed numbers in the right hand side (again like a 4x4 matrix).
The indices indicate one of the Dirac 4-spinor components:
[itex] \psi = \begin{pmatrix} \psi_1 \\ \psi_2 \\ \psi_3 \\ \psi_4 \end{pmatrix}[/itex]
Why would you have vectors then for [itex]\psi_a[/itex] ?

What are Dirac commutation relations?

The Dirac commutation relations are a set of mathematical equations that describe the fundamental properties of quantum mechanical operators. These equations were originally developed by physicist Paul Dirac in his work on quantum mechanics in the early 20th century.

Why are Dirac commutation relations important?

Dirac commutation relations play a crucial role in quantum mechanics, as they describe the behavior of operators and their corresponding physical quantities in a quantum system. They also serve as the foundation for the Heisenberg uncertainty principle and other key principles in quantum mechanics.

What is the mathematical form of Dirac commutation relations?

The mathematical form of Dirac commutation relations is [A, B] = AB - BA = iħ, where A and B are operators, [A, B] is the commutator of A and B, i is the imaginary unit, and ħ is the reduced Planck's constant.

How do Dirac commutation relations relate to the uncertainty principle?

The uncertainty principle, which states that the more precisely one property of a particle is known, the less precisely the other property can be known, is directly derived from the Dirac commutation relations. This is because the commutator [A, B] is related to the product of uncertainties in A and B.

Can Dirac commutation relations be extended to more than two operators?

Yes, Dirac commutation relations can be extended to any number of operators. In general, the commutator of two operators is defined as [A, B] = AB - BA, and the commutator of three or more operators is defined recursively using the commutator of two operators.