Understanding the Form of the Y(2,0) Spherical Harmonic

In summary, the conversation discussed the visualization of spherical harmonics for low values of quantum number l during a MIT lecture on eigenstates of angular momentum. The professor showed that for Y(l = 1, m = 0), there is no angular momentum L_z and the probability of finding the particle in the x-y plane is practically zero. The Y(l=2, m=0) state was also shown, which struck the speaker as odd due to the disk around the z-axis implying a good probability of the particle spinning along the z-axis. The phenomenon was explained as not following classical pictures and representing stationary states.
Archeon
I am basically just rewriting a question that was posted on other forums.
While watching videos of a MIT lecture on the eigenstates of angular momentum (video: '16. Eigenstates of the Angular Momentum II' by MIT OpenCourseWare) the professor visualized different spherical harmonics for low values of the quantum number l. He showed that for Y(l = 1, m = 0) the function has the following form:
HmK2L.png

explaining that since m=0 there is no angular momentum L_z and the probability of finding it in the x-y plane is practically zero.
He then went on to show the Y(l=2, m=0) state, as seen below:
6gfDh.png

This strikes me as odd, however, as the disk around the z-axis would imply to me that there is a good probability that the particle is spinning along the z-axis and as a result carries some angular momentum L_z > 0. How, if at all possible, can this phenomenon be explained intuitively?

Thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
Archeon said:
This strikes me as odd, however, as the disk around the z-axis would imply to me that there is a good probability that the particle is spinning along the z-axis and as a result carries some angular momentum L_z > 0. How, if at all possible, can this phenomenon be explained intuitively?

Thanks in advance

The disk around the z-axis implies that the particle might be found there. It doesn't mean that the particle is following any sort of orbit that has that shape.

More generally, you can't really say the particle has an orbit at all (not in the classical sense).

Archeon said:
You have to let go of classical pictures. The particle is not moving inside the orbital. They represent stationary states.

Likes vanhees71
I see. Thanks for the clear answers.

What is the Y(2,0) spherical harmonic?

The Y(2,0) spherical harmonic is a mathematical function used to describe the shape of a 3-dimensional object, such as a sphere or a planet. It is part of a larger group of functions called spherical harmonics, which are commonly used in physics and engineering.

How is the Y(2,0) spherical harmonic calculated?

The Y(2,0) spherical harmonic is calculated using a formula that involves spherical coordinates, which are a way of representing points in 3-dimensional space using a radius, an angle, and a height. The formula for the Y(2,0) function specifically involves Legendre polynomials, which are a type of mathematical function.

What is the significance of the Y(2,0) spherical harmonic?

The Y(2,0) spherical harmonic is significant because it represents a specific shape or pattern that can be found in many natural and man-made objects. For example, the Y(2,0) function is commonly used to describe the gravitational potential of a planet or the electric field around a charged object.

How is the Y(2,0) spherical harmonic used in practical applications?

The Y(2,0) spherical harmonic is used in a variety of practical applications, such as in geophysics, astronomy, and electromagnetism. It is used to model and analyze the behavior of physical systems, and can also be used to create computer-generated images of complex objects.

What are some common misconceptions about the Y(2,0) spherical harmonic?

One common misconception about the Y(2,0) spherical harmonic is that it only applies to perfectly spherical objects. In reality, the Y(2,0) function can be used to describe the shape of any 3-dimensional object, as long as it has a certain level of symmetry. Another misconception is that the Y(2,0) function is only relevant to advanced mathematics and has no real-world applications, when in fact it is used in a wide range of fields and industries.