Understanding the Formula for q in Rudin's Proof Question

• Thread starter Diffy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Proof
In summary, the conversation is discussing the sets A and B defined by positive and negative rationals, respectively, and showing that there is no largest number in A and B. To do this, they use the formula q = p - ((p2 - 2) / (p + 2)) to associate a rational number q with each rational number p. The discussion then focuses on understanding how this formula produces a value for q that is either larger or smaller than p, depending on whether p is in A or B.
Diffy
I am reading this paragraph in little Rudin, right at the beginning.

Let A be the set of all positive rationals, p such that p2 < 2 and let B consist of all rationals p such that p2 > 2. We shall now show that A contains no largest number, and B...

To do this we associate with each rational p > 0 the number

q = p - ((p2 - 2) / (p + 2))

Now, I can't see where this is going. We want to pick a q that is rational, and always bigger than p but less than root(2) or always smaller than p but greater than root(2) depending on whether we are considering the set A or B.

Because we want q to be rational we can't pick the number directly in between p and root(2), that is (p + root(2) /2).

I guess my question is, how would one come up with that calculation for q? I can't for the life of me wrap my head around where that formula for q would come from if I was trying to pick q on my own..

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Diffy said:
I am reading this paragraph in little Rudin, right at the beginning.

Let A be the set of all positive rationals, p such that p2 < 2 and let B consist of all rationals p such that p2 > 2. We shall now show that A contains no largest number, and B...

To do this we associate with each rational p > 0 the number

q = p - ((p2 - 2) / (p + 2))

Now, I can't see where this is going. We want to pick a q that is rational, and always bigger than p but less than root(2) or always smaller than p but greater than root(2) depending on whether we are considering the set A or B.

Because we want q to be rational we can't pick the number directly in between p and root(2), that is (p + root(2) /2).

I guess my question is, how would one come up with that calculation for q? I can't for the life of me wrap my head around where that formula for q would come from if I was trying to pick q on my own..
From above, and given that p > 0, $$q = p - \frac{p^2 - 2}{p + 2} = \frac{p^2 + 2p - p^2 + 2}{p + 2} = 2\frac{p+1}{p+2} < 2$$
Look at the two cases separately, in one of which p ##\in## A, and the other in which p ##\in## B.

If p < ##\sqrt{2}## (p ##\in## A), then the formulation of q that you gave shows that q > p. Can you see why? Similarly, if p > ##\sqrt{2}## , (p ##\in## B), q < p. Both of these hinge on whether we're subtracting a negative quantity from p or subtracting a positive quantity.

I'm not sure what led to the formulation of q, but it might be helpful to draw and label a part of the number line for each of the two cases, showing the relative positions of p, q, and ##\sqrt{2}##.

1. What is the meaning of P^2 = 2?

P^2 = 2 is an equation that represents the Pythagorean theorem, which states that in a right triangle, the square of the length of the hypotenuse (the side opposite the right angle) is equal to the sum of the squares of the other two sides.

2. How is the Pythagorean theorem used in mathematics?

The Pythagorean theorem is used in mathematics to find the length of the missing side of a right triangle, given the lengths of the other two sides. It is also used in geometry to determine whether a triangle is a right triangle or not.

3. Is P^2 = 2 always true?

No, P^2 = 2 is only true for right triangles. It is not applicable to other types of triangles or shapes.

4. How can P^2 = 2 be proven?

P^2 = 2 can be proven using various methods, such as algebraic proofs, geometric proofs, or even using real-world examples. One common proof is by using the area of squares formed on each side of a right triangle.

5. What are some real-world applications of P^2 = 2?

The Pythagorean theorem has numerous applications in various fields, such as architecture, engineering, and physics. It is used to design and build structures, calculate distances and measurements, and solve problems involving right triangles in real-world scenarios.