Understanding the Hybridization of Sulfur and Carbon in SO2

In summary, the conversation discusses the hybridization of carbon in different molecules, specifically SO2 and C2H2. There is some disagreement about the correct hybridization and structure of these molecules, with one individual mentioning that atoms do not "have" a certain hybridization in a given molecule. The conversation also mentions the use of hybridization as a model and its limitations. The conversation ends with a clarification about the hybridization of carbon in C2H2 and a mention of the "bent bond" concept.
Qube
Gold Member
Hybridization of carbon

Pretty sure my professor is wrong once again.

me8y6yge.jpg

SO2 should have two double bonds which gives the sulfur a minimal formal charge and two signs bonds. The two sigma bonds imply sp hybridization, not the blatantly wrong circled answer.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Qube said:
Pretty sure my professor is wrong once again.

me8y6yge.jpg

SO2 should have two double bonds which gives the sulfur a minimal formal charge and two signs bonds. The two sigma bonds imply sp hybridization, not the blatantly wrong circled answer.

How many valence electrons does sulfur has? What is the structure of SO2?

The attached question is about C2H2, but the circled answer is wrong. The hybridisation is sp for carbon in C2H2.

It's fortunate that your professor has you around to keep him straight.

I am quite tired of repeating here in the forum that atoms don't "have" a certain hybridization in a given molecule over and over.
Acetylene can perfectly well be described both in terms of sp and sp3 hybrids. In the latter case, the bonds are called descriptively "banana bonds". The energetic difference is usually minute between alternative hybridization schemes in valence bond theory and can only be evaluated using dedicated VB programs.
In the case of SO2, it is not even necessary to involve hybridization: The bonds to the two oxygens can be explained using two of the p orbitals of sulphur alone.

Pranav-Arora said:
How many valence electrons does sulfur has? What is the structure of SO2?

The attached question is about C2H2, but the circled answer is wrong. The hybridisation is sp for carbon in C2H2.

Whoops, I was thinking of another question. Yes, the circled answer is still wrong since in the case of the hydrocarbon in the picture the carbon has a hybridization of sp2; there are two bonds with hydrogen and one triple bond between the carbons, giving us a total of 3 sigma bonds.

SteamKing said:
It's fortunate that your professor has you around to keep him straight.

I won't be having him around any longer; I think his job security is decreasing by the day (answer?)

DrDu said:
I am quite tired of repeating here in the forum that atoms don't "have" a certain hybridization in a given molecule over and over.
Acetylene can perfectly well be described both in terms of sp and sp3 hybrids. In the latter case, the bonds are called descriptively "banana bonds". The energetic difference is usually minute between alternative hybridization schemes in valence bond theory and can only be evaluated using dedicated VB programs.
In the case of SO2, it is not even necessary to involve hybridization: The bonds to the two oxygens can be explained using two of the p orbitals of sulphur alone.

You lost me at banana bond.

I do understand that hybridization is a model for explaining phenomenon such as the fact carbon forms four bonds instead of two, and that models don't always translate perfectly to the real world, just as the Bohr atom model is still used to explain things even though the model is overly simplistic (or simply incorrect).

Qube said:
Whoops, I was thinking of another question. Yes, the circled answer is still wrong since in the case of the hydrocarbon in the picture the carbon has a hybridization of sp2; there are two bonds with hydrogen and one triple bond between the carbons, giving us a total of 3 sigma bonds.

Take it easy. in C2H2, the hybridization of C is sp, The molecule is linear (no free electrons) and between the 2 C atoms there's a triple bond.

dextercioby said:
Take it easy. in C2H2, the hybridization of C is sp, The molecule is linear (no free electrons) and between the 2 C atoms there's a triple bond.

You're right sorry I keep thinking of C2H4.

1. What is hybridization of sulfur?

Hybridization of sulfur refers to the process in which the atomic orbitals of sulfur atoms combine to form new hybrid orbitals with different energies, shapes, and orientations. This allows for the formation of stable chemical bonds and the creation of molecules with unique properties.

2. Why does sulfur undergo hybridization?

Sulfur undergoes hybridization in order to achieve a more stable electron configuration. By hybridizing its atomic orbitals, sulfur can form bonds with other atoms and achieve a full outer shell of electrons, making it more stable and less reactive.

3. What is the hybridization state of sulfur in its most common compounds?

The most common hybridization state of sulfur in its compounds is sp3, meaning that it has four hybrid orbitals formed from one s orbital and three p orbitals. This allows sulfur to form four single bonds with other atoms.

4. How does the hybridization of sulfur affect the chemical properties of its compounds?

The hybridization of sulfur can greatly affect the chemical properties of its compounds. For example, sp3 hybridization allows sulfur to form strong single bonds, while sp2 hybridization allows it to form double bonds and sp hybridization allows for the formation of triple bonds. This results in compounds with different strengths and reactivities.

5. Can sulfur undergo multiple types of hybridization in the same molecule?

Yes, sulfur can undergo multiple types of hybridization in the same molecule. This is known as hybridization mixing and allows for the formation of different types of bonds within a single molecule, giving it unique properties and reactivities.