Understanding the Instability of Positronium: A Closer Look at K-Capture Decay

• Thread starter TomCurious
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Instability
In summary, the electron does not collapse into the nucleus of an atom due to its standing wave nature. However, this does not hold true for positronium, as there is a partial wave function overlap between the two particles that can lead to their annihilation. The reason atoms do not collapse is because it is not energetically possible, except in cases of K-capture where an electron can be absorbed into the nucleus. More information on K-capture and decay rate calculations can be found in a detailed treatment of the topic.
TomCurious
The 'reason' electrons do not collapse into the nucleus of atom is due to the standing wave nature of the electron. This is all fine and dandy.

My question, essentially, is why the same does not hold true for positronium (in which an electron orbits a positron). Shouldn't the electron demonstrate here some form of standing wave character here as well?

Considering the Schrodinger equation for both systems, the only difference is the reduced mass, which thus leads to a different energy spectrum. Of course, the real result would make use of the Bethe equation, etc..

But I fail to see why this should lead to the instability of positronium. An explanation would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
There is a partial wave function overlap between the two particles. (The electron has wave functions around the positron, just as the positron has wave functions around the electron.)

With this, there is a possibility that the two particles are in the same space at a point in time. So... annihilation!

The 'reason' electrons do not collapse into the nucleus of atom is due to the standing wave nature of the electron. This is all fine and dandy.
And wrong. S-wave orbitals in atoms overlap the nucleus, just as the electron and positron overlap in positronium. The reason that atoms do not 'collapse' is that in most cases it is not energetically possible. For example a hydrogen atom does not collapse because the result would be a neutron, and since a neutron is more massive than proton there is not enough energy available for it to happen. But in many other cases the absorption of an electron into the nucleus is energetically possible, and the process does take place, and is known as K-capture. See the Wikipedia article on electron capture, which mentions Be7 as an example.

Bill_K said:
in many other cases the absorption of an electron into the nucleus is energetically possible, and the process does take place, and is known as K-capture.

I am glad you raised this, because it was another question I was hoping to ask. So, in effect, you answered two of them! (thank you)

Unfortunately, the wikipedia article you referred me to is rather heuristic. Could you direct me to a more detailed treatment of K-capture (i.e. more rigorous), please? Specifically, I am interested in decay rate calculations.

1. What is positronium?

Positronium is a bound state of a positron and an electron, similar to the hydrogen atom. However, instead of a proton and an electron, positronium consists of an antiparticle (positron) and a particle (electron).

2. Why is positronium unstable?

Positronium is unstable because the positron and electron have opposite charges, causing them to attract each other. As they come together, they can annihilate and release gamma rays, leading to the decay of positronium.

3. What is the average lifetime of positronium?

The average lifetime of positronium is about 142 nanoseconds. This is much shorter than the average lifetime of the hydrogen atom, which is about 1.4 milliseconds.

4. Can positronium exist in different energy states?

Yes, positronium can exist in different energy states, just like the hydrogen atom. However, due to its short lifetime, it is difficult to observe these energy states experimentally.

5. How is positronium used in research?

Positronium is used in research to study the behavior of antimatter and to test theories in quantum mechanics. It is also used as a probe in materials science and surface physics to study the properties of materials at the atomic level.