Understanding the Math Behind Hawking Radiation

In summary, the conversation was about a person doing research on Hawking Radiation and looking for sources to help understand the mathematical aspect of it. They had found some information on websites and were also recommended a specific website. They were also looking for books or online articles to help with their project.
mgiddy911
I am currently taking Advanced Physics Topics class and am doing a research project on Hawking Radiation

I was wondering if anyone knew of a free source I cold use that could explain the math behind the radiation a little better. I have looked on a few websites for information and have found many explanations of the radiation, but few that delve into its math. Wikipedia had a little basic info about the blackbody equations for temperature applied to a black hole and the powert of its radiation but I was looking for a source to show the derivation if it exists.

Can anyone reccomned a book I could get at a library, or a good online source, or explain it to me on this forum if you had time?

I have an ok understanding of the basic concepts behind the radiation but I want to have the math of the derivation to display as well, I wanted to work out the equations for a black hole about the size of one solar mass, and show its temperature and power of radiation and time until evaporation

Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks

Thanks for the link, infact I had just found that site before reading your post
I also have searched Arvix and found some articles to cite, but many are over my head yet some help out.
I plan to post online my simplified derivation and explaniation of Hawking Radiation once I finish my project
Still any books anyone knows of that explain this would be appreciated
or link to online articles

I did a science project once that was about hawkings radiation. I found the wikipedia article(s) on it and its related topics to be very useful.

Related to Understanding the Math Behind Hawking Radiation

What is Hawking Radiation?

Hawking Radiation is a theoretical concept proposed by physicist Stephen Hawking in 1974. It suggests that black holes emit radiation due to quantum effects near the event horizon, causing them to slowly evaporate over time.

How is Hawking Radiation related to black holes?

Hawking Radiation is related to black holes because it is a proposed mechanism for them to lose mass. According to the theory, black holes emit particles and antiparticles near their event horizon, with one falling into the black hole and the other escaping as radiation.

What evidence supports the existence of Hawking Radiation?

There is currently no direct evidence for the existence of Hawking Radiation due to the difficulty of observing it. However, the theory has been widely accepted by the scientific community and has been used to explain certain observations, such as the decreasing size of black holes over time.

What are the potential implications of Hawking Radiation?

If Hawking Radiation is proven to exist, it would have significant implications for our understanding of black holes and the laws of physics. It would also have implications for the ultimate fate of black holes, as they would eventually evaporate completely.

How is Hawking Radiation being studied?

Scientists are currently studying Hawking Radiation through theoretical calculations and simulations. Some researchers are also looking for potential ways to detect the radiation, such as through gravitational waves or by observing the cosmic microwave background radiation.