Understanding the Principle of Birefringence: Δn Explained

In summary, the conversation discusses the understanding of light as having two perpendicular components of electric field and the analogy of a weight on a slope with two components. It is also stated that for this example, nx = ny = no and nz = ne, resulting in birefringence. The question asks for Δn, which is unclear. The attached images visualize the problem and show working for a similar problem.
rwooduk
I finally understand the principle of being able to imagine light as having 2 perpendicular components of electric field, to use an analogy from an earlier thread, its just as a weight on a slope may be considered to have 2 componants.

Anyway, for this example nx = ny = no and nz = ne. Light is traveling in the y direction therefore the perpendicular E components will be subject to nx and ne i.e. there will be birefringence.

My question is the question asks for Δn and I am unsure what this means. Do I just find a term for nx - ne?

Please see attached images to visualise the problem, 1 shows the problem, 2 shows the working for a similar problem, thanks in advance.

p.s. this is not part of any assessed homework

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 413
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    15.8 KB · Views: 388
Physics news on Phys.org
bump?

Related to Understanding the Principle of Birefringence: Δn Explained

1. What is birefringence?

Birefringence is a physical phenomenon where a material exhibits different refractive indices for light of different polarizations. This means that light passing through the material will split into two beams, each with a different velocity and direction.

2. What causes birefringence?

Birefringence is caused by the anisotropic nature of certain materials, meaning that they have different physical properties in different directions. This can be due to the molecular structure or crystal lattice arrangement of the material.

3. How is birefringence measured?

Birefringence is measured by calculating the difference between the refractive indices of the two polarizations of light passing through a material. This is represented by the symbol Δn, which is the difference between the ordinary and extraordinary refractive indices.

4. What are some applications of birefringence?

Birefringence has many practical applications, such as in polarized sunglasses, liquid crystal displays, and optical filters. It is also used in scientific research and analysis, particularly in the study of crystal structures and molecular interactions.

5. How is birefringence related to polarization?

Birefringence is closely related to polarization because it is the property of a material to split light into two polarized beams. The two beams travel at different speeds and directions, and their resulting interference patterns can be used to determine the birefringence of the material.