Understanding the Principle of Dampening in Hydrostatic Systems

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of spring-shaped pipes in hydrostatic tables for machining, which provide vibration dampening through the viscosity of the oil flowing through them. The physical principle behind this is governed by the Darcy-Weisbach equation. The conversation also touches upon the confusion around the title "Hydrostatics" and the purpose of the table. The main advantage of using hydrostatic technology is vibration dampening, and this is demonstrated in a marketing image provided by the individual.
Andrea Vironda
Hi,
In some hydrostatic tables I can see many spring-shaped pipes that are traversed by oil.
Spring is responsible for a kind of dampening that I ignore how to deal with.
Do you have any idea of the physical principle behind it?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Andrea Vironda said:
Do you have any idea of the physical principle behind it?
The "spring" = helical pipe, has a great length without sharp corners. The viscosity of the oil flowing in the long thin pipe wastes energy, and so damps movement.

Thanks Baluncore.
What's the law governing this behavior? Navier-Stokes?

I was confused by the title, since "Hydrostatics" implies that the fluid is not moving. Is this more about how to damp motion in a flowing fluid? I can change the thread title if that would help to make it more descriptive. :smile:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydrostatics

@berkeman
I am also guessing wildly here, which certainly makes it interesting.

I suspect it is a static fluid support for a large and heavy slab of material, such as a granite precision surface plate. I think it is hydraulic damping of the static position, so maybe only stress reduction?

@Andrea Vironda
What is the table used for. Is it optics, machining or metrology ?

We need a manufacturer and model number, or a link on the web, to a picture of a similar table, with coils of tubing between supporting bladders?

Likes berkeman
This table is used for machining. I have this marketing image in with you can see a general layout (column is around 6m tall).
1601903634285.png

The main advantage in using hydrostatic technology is vibration dampening.
The hydrostatic rotary tables are the 2 scrolling on the blue bases

Are the mentioned coils visible in that image?

1. What is a hydrostatic dampening system?

A hydrostatic dampening system is a type of suspension system used in vehicles and machinery to reduce vibrations and shocks caused by uneven terrain or sudden movements. It works by using a liquid, usually oil, enclosed in a chamber to absorb and dissipate energy.

2. How does a hydrostatic dampening system work?

The system works by using the liquid inside the chamber to create a cushioning effect. When a force is applied, the liquid is forced through small openings, creating resistance and absorbing the energy. This helps to reduce the impact and vibrations felt by the vehicle or machinery.

3. What are the benefits of a hydrostatic dampening system?

One of the main benefits of a hydrostatic dampening system is improved stability and control. The system helps to reduce bouncing and swaying, making the vehicle or machinery easier to handle. It also helps to protect the equipment and reduce wear and tear on its components.

4. What types of vehicles or machinery use hydrostatic dampening systems?

Hydrostatic dampening systems are commonly used in heavy-duty vehicles and machinery, such as trucks, tractors, and construction equipment. They are also used in smaller vehicles, such as motorcycles and bicycles, to improve ride comfort and handling.

5. How is a hydrostatic dampening system different from other suspension systems?

A hydrostatic dampening system differs from other suspension systems, such as coil springs or air suspensions, in that it uses a liquid to absorb and dissipate energy. This allows for a smoother and more controlled ride, as the liquid can adjust to different terrain and absorb shocks more effectively.