Understanding the ratio formula

In summary, the money market yield is a financial instrument used to calculate the annualized return on a bond investment. It is calculated by taking the difference between the face value and purchase price of the bond, dividing it by the purchase price, and then multiplying it by the number of periods in a year. The formula can also be written as MMY = BDY / (1 - (t/360) * BDY), where BDY represents the band discount rate and t represents the number of days until maturity.
Vital

Homework Statement

Hello!

Please, help me to understand the mathematical logic behind one of the financial instruments called the "money market yield".

Here is the equation:

money market yield = [ 360 x r BD ] / [360 - (t x rBD)]

where rBD is the band discount rate, and for simplicity we can just treat it as any rate of return;
t - days till maturity of the bond;
360 - the convention for the number of days in a year (instead of 365)

Homework Equations

For example:

rMM = (360)(0.05) / [360 − (120)(0.05)] = 0.0508

The Attempt at a Solution

Here is how I started interpreting the math (but stumbled):

1) in the numerator we have 360 x bank discount rate = 360 x 0.05 = 18; this seems to give the number of periods within a year, during which 0.05 could be earned; is that so?

2) (120)(0.05) = 16 this also gives the number of periods, but what these periods mean?

3) [360 − (120)(0.05)] = 360 - 16 = 354 what happens here?

4) finally 18 / 354 = 0.0508 I guess I will be able to understand what happens here if I understand three previous ones.

Thank you very much!

Physics news on Phys.org
Google is your friend - but the advertisers make it messy.
I liked the expose here

BvU said:
Google is your friend - but the advertisers make it messy.
I liked the expose here
Thank you very much. But this link doesn't address any of my questions, as all of them refer to the mathematical logic of ratios computed. The same description of the yield I have in my textbook, which doesn't explain the math behind the formula, and I am truly interested in understanding how to interpret those ratios, which I show in my 4 questions. )

Did you at least understand $$MMY = \quad HPR * \displaystyle{360\over t} \quad = \quad \displaystyle{F-P\over P}* \displaystyle{360\over t} \ \ \ ?$$

And do you understand the formula better when it is wwritten as
$$ MMY = {BDY\over 1 - \displaystyle{t\over 360} * BDY} \quad ? $$

BvU said:
Did you at least understand $$MMY = \quad HPR * \displaystyle{360\over t} \quad = \quad \displaystyle{F-P\over P}* \displaystyle{360\over t} \ \ \ ?$$

Yes, I think I understand this one. We annualize the difference between the face value and the purchase price by taking the ratio of this difference to the price and then multiplying it by the number of t periods we have during the year, thus getting the annual MMY as if we could have hold the bond for all 360/t periods.

And do you understand the formula better when it is wwritten as
$$ MMY = {BDY\over 1 - \displaystyle{t\over 360} * BDY} \quad ? $$
I have to think about this one.

$$MMY = \quad HPR * \displaystyle{360\over t} \quad = \quad \displaystyle{F-P\over P}* \displaystyle{360\over t} $$yes. Take ##t=360## as an example: F-P is what you 'earn' and P is what you invest. 360/t is the number of times you can do that in a year; so you'll notice it isn't converted into a compound interest.

1. What is the ratio formula and how is it used in science?

The ratio formula is a mathematical expression used to compare two quantities or values. In science, it is commonly used to express the relationship between different variables in an experiment or study. It is written as "a:b" or "a/b", where "a" and "b" represent the quantities being compared.

2. Can the ratio formula be used to compare more than two values?

Yes, the ratio formula can be used to compare any number of values. For example, if there are three quantities being compared, the ratio formula would be written as "a:b:c" or "a/b/c". The formula remains the same, but the number of values being compared increases.

3. How do you interpret the ratio obtained from the ratio formula?

The ratio obtained from the ratio formula can be interpreted as the number of times one quantity is contained within the other. For example, a ratio of 2:1 means that the first quantity is twice as much as the second quantity. This can also be written as 2/1, which means the first quantity is two times the second quantity.

4. Can the ratio formula be used with different units of measurement?

Yes, the ratio formula can be used with different units of measurement as long as the units are consistent for all quantities being compared. For example, if one quantity is measured in meters and the other in centimeters, the ratio formula can still be used as long as both quantities are converted to the same unit (e.g. meters).

5. What are some common applications of the ratio formula in science?

The ratio formula is commonly used in science for a variety of applications, including determining concentrations of substances in a solution, calculating proportions in chemical reactions, analyzing data in experiments, and comparing physical properties of different substances. It can also be used to make predictions and draw conclusions from experimental data.