Understanding the Relationship between Orthogonal and Unitary Groups

In summary: Sorry!In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of rotation in the special orthogonal group SO(2) and the possibility of diagonalizing matrices within this group. It is mentioned that the group is isomorphic to the unitary group U(1) and that the representation space can be either real or complex. The group's standard representation is shown to be irreducible in the real field but reducible in the complex field. It is also noted that the change of basis matrix used depends on the specific matrix in SO(2) being considered. The conversation concludes with a clarification on the dimensions of the representation space.
LagrangeEuler
I'm a little bit confused. Matrices
[tex]\begin{bmatrix}
\cos \theta & \sin \theta \\
-\sin \theta & \cos \theta
\end{bmatrix}[/tex]
##\theta \in [0,2\pi]##
form a group. This is special orthogonal group ##SO(2)##. However it is possible to diagonalize this matrices and get
[tex]\begin{bmatrix}
e^{i\theta} & 0 \\
0 & e^{-i \theta}
\end{bmatrix}=e^{i \theta}\oplus e^{-i\theta}.[/tex]
It looks like that ##e^{i\theta}## is irreducible representation of ##SO(2)##. However in ##e^{i\theta}## we have complex parameter ##i## and this is unitary group ##U(1)##. Where am I making the mistake?

Physics news on Phys.org
There is no mistake. It depends on the field, i.e. whether you allow complex scalars or not. The angle ##\theta## represents likewise a rotation or a complex number on the unit circle. Your choice. Or a real number if you forget about the group structure.

Last edited:
The two groups are isomorphic.

Thanks. I am a bit confused because if I want to speak about rotation in ##\mathbb{R}^2##. Is then
\begin{bmatrix}
\cos \theta & \sin \theta\\
\end{bmatrix}
reducible or irreducible representation of ##\textrm{SO}(2)##? Because every element I can but in block diagonal form that includes complex numbers in the diagonals.

LagrangeEuler said:
Thanks. I am a bit confused because if I want to speak about rotation in ##\mathbb{R}^2##. Is then
\begin{bmatrix}
\end{bmatrix}
reducible or irreducible representation of ##\textrm{SO}(2)##? Because every element I can but in block diagonal form that includes complex numbers in the diagonals.
Which dimension does the representation space have in this example?

It is two-dimensional representation. If I understand the question correctly.

LagrangeEuler said:
Is then
\begin{bmatrix}
\end{bmatrix}
reducible or irreducible representation of ##\textrm{SO}(2)##?

This is reducible as a complex representation and irreducible as a real representation.

Likes LagrangeEuler
Thanks. But how to know if I have a complex or real representation of ##\mathrm{SO}(2)##? If the vector space is real is then representation real?

Yes, a representation of a group ##G## here means a homomorphism ##\rho:G\to GL(V)## where ##V## is a vector space. You say that the representation is real or complex when ##V## is a real or complex vector space.

LagrangeEuler said:
It is two-dimensional representation. If I understand the question correctly.
As real rotation we have only one coordinate ##\theta## hence it is one dimensional and therefore cannot be reducible. No dimensions available.
Infrared said:
This is reducible as a complex representation and irreducible as a real representation.
Why that? If it is a complex vector space we still have only one complex dimension: ##U(1)##.

fresh_42 said:
Why that? If it is a complex vector space we still have only one complex dimension: ##U(1)##.

I mean that the standard representation ##SO(2;\mathbb{R})\to GL_2(\mathbb{R})## is irreducible, but the standard representation ##SO(2)\to GL_2(\mathbb{C})## given by viewing elements of ##SO(2;\mathbb{R})## as complex matrices is reducible. The second representation is the complexification of the first.

fresh_42 said:
As real rotation we have only one coordinate hence it is one dimensional and therefore cannot be reducible. No dimensions available.
The group ##SO(2;\mathbb{R})## is 1-dimensional. That does not mean that all its real irreducible representations are 1-dimensional.

Infrared said:
I mean that the standard representation ##SO(2;\mathbb{R})\to GL_2(\mathbb{R})## is irreducible, but the standard representation ##SO(2)\to GL_2(\mathbb{C})## given by viewing elements of ##SO(2;\mathbb{R})## as complex matrices is reducible. The second representation is the complexification of the first.The group ##SO(2;\mathbb{R})## is 1-dimensional. That does not mean that all its real irreducible representations are 1-dimensional.
Sure, but he asked about a rotation matrix, and then the angle is all we have.

@fresh_42 I don't understand your comment. The OP question as I interpret it is whether the standard (real) representation of ##SO(2)## is irreducible and why it isn't a problem that these matrices are diagonalizable over ##\mathbb{C}.##

@LagrangeEuler I'll also add that you have to do a little bit more work to see why the complex standard representation is reducible- what you have written down isn't enough because the change of basis matrix you use depends on which matrix in ##SO(2;\mathbb{R})## you're using. Given a representation ##\rho:G\to GL_n(\mathbb{C}),## it is definitely possible for every matrix ##\rho(g)## to be diagonalizable without the representation itself being reducible.

Likes LagrangeEuler
Infrared said:
@fresh_42 I don't understand your comment.
I thought he meant the one parameter group operating on itself, not as rotation of ##\mathbb{R}^2##. My mistake.

1. What is an orthogonal or unitary group?

An orthogonal or unitary group is a mathematical concept that represents a group of transformations that preserve the length of a vector in a vector space. In simpler terms, it is a group of linear transformations that do not change the magnitude of a vector, but only its direction.

2. What is the difference between an orthogonal and unitary group?

The main difference between an orthogonal and unitary group is the type of vector space they operate on. An orthogonal group operates on a real vector space, while a unitary group operates on a complex vector space.

3. How are orthogonal and unitary groups used in science?

Orthogonal and unitary groups have many applications in science, particularly in physics and engineering. They are used to represent rotations and reflections in three-dimensional space, and are also used in quantum mechanics to describe the symmetries of physical systems.

4. What is the significance of the determinant in orthogonal and unitary groups?

The determinant of an orthogonal or unitary matrix represents the scaling factor of the transformation. In other words, it tells us how much the volume of a shape changes after the transformation. For orthogonal matrices, the determinant is always either 1 or -1, while for unitary matrices, it is always a complex number with magnitude 1.

5. How do orthogonal and unitary groups relate to other mathematical concepts?

Orthogonal and unitary groups are closely related to other mathematical concepts such as symmetry groups, Lie groups, and matrix groups. They also have connections to other areas of mathematics, such as group theory, linear algebra, and geometry.