Understanding the Significance of Imaginary Frequencies in Chemical Reactions

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between imaginary eigenvalues and frequencies in a chemical reaction. The speaker also mentions the potential energy along the eigenvector direction and how it is affected by a negative eigenvalue. They also discuss the interpretation of imaginary frequencies and how they relate to the energy of a bond or mode. It is noted that frequencies can only tell about the local curvature at the stationary point and not the dissociation energy.
greisen
Hi,

In the transition state of a chemical reaction defined as one imaginary eigenvalue of the hessian matrix - the size of my frequency is 1000i what can one say about the size of the imaginary frequency - is it related to energy in some way ? I have not been able to find any documents commenting on the size of the imaginary eigenvalue.

Any help or advise appreciated. Thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
The eigenvalue is negative- the frequency is the sqrt of the eigenvalue, which is imaginary.

The potential energy along the eigenvector direction is 1/2 q^2 w^2, which in your case is an 'upside-down' parabola.

thanks - I am a little puzzled how to interpret to values when they are imaginary - if you have a C-H bond with frequency of 1300 cm^-1 you can say something about the energy of the bond or mode but when you have -1300 cm^-1 what to say about it than? I mean the bond/stretch should have the same energy but in one case it is denoted having a negative frequency instead of a positive.

eigenvalue = w^2

If the eigenvalue is negative- then w is imaginary.

Energy = 1/2 q^2 w^2

If the eigenvalue is negative then the energy goes as E= -1/2 q^2 |w^2|, i.e. the energy slopes downwards (along a parabola) if you move forward or backward along q.

You can't tell anything about the dissociation energy from the frequencies- they can only tell you about the local curvature at the stationary point.

Related to Understanding the Significance of Imaginary Frequencies in Chemical Reactions

1. What is the "size of imaginary frequency"?

The "size of imaginary frequency" refers to the magnitude or intensity of a frequency that is purely imaginary in nature. This means that the frequency does not have a physical existence but is rather a mathematical concept used in various scientific and engineering fields.

2. How is the size of imaginary frequency measured?

The size of imaginary frequency is measured using a unit called radians per second (rad/s) in the International System of Units (SI). This unit represents the rate of change of a phase angle in a periodic function and is commonly used to measure frequencies in electrical and mechanical systems.

3. What is the significance of the size of imaginary frequency?

The size of imaginary frequency plays a crucial role in understanding and analyzing the behavior of various systems, such as oscillating systems, electronic circuits, and signal processing. It helps in predicting the stability, resonance, and response of these systems, and is also used in designing and optimizing their performance.

4. Can the size of imaginary frequency have a negative value?

Yes, the size of imaginary frequency can have a negative value. This indicates that the imaginary frequency is rotating in the opposite direction compared to a positive frequency. In some cases, a negative imaginary frequency can also represent the damping or attenuation of a signal or system.

5. Is there a limit to the size of imaginary frequency?

No, there is no limit to the size of imaginary frequency. It can range from zero to infinity, depending on the specific system or phenomenon being studied. However, in practical applications, the size of imaginary frequency is often limited by the capabilities of measuring instruments and the frequency response of the system being analyzed.