Understanding the Transition Functions for S^1 Using Atlas Charts

In summary, the conversation discusses finding transition functions for a given atlas and the use of multiple charts for a manifold, specifically the circle. It is explained that the transition functions and their inverses are the identity function or a function that adds or subtracts 2 pi, depending on the location on the circle. The concept of coordinates on the manifold and the relationship between ##S^1## and ##\mathbb R^1## is also mentioned, with the suggestion to look into the concept of 'covering space' and 'covering map' for a better understanding.
orion
I am confused about the procedure for finding the transition functions given an atlas. I understand the theory; it's applying it to real life examples where I have my problem. So for example, take S1 (the circle). I want to use 2 charts given by:

U1 = {α: 0 < α < 2π} φ1 = (cos α, sin α)
U2 = {β: -π < β < π} φ2 = (cos β, sin β)

Now I want to derive the transition function which is where I'm stuck. I know that α = arctan(y/x) and that β = arctan(y/x) which to me implies (and rightly so I think) that α = β on the overlap. My question is what is the transition function?

Another question I have is how are things improved using these 2 patches over 1 patch (which I know fails due to continuity of φ-1)?

Thanks in advance for any insight!

Physics news on Phys.org
The transition function is defined on the intersection of the domains of the two functions. Since each domain is missing one point from the circle, and the missing points are antipodal to one another, the intersection is the two open half-circles one gets when one removes the points (1,0) and (-1,0) from the unit circle in the Cartesian plane.

The transition functions and their inverses will be the identity function ##\theta\mapsto \theta## on the upper half circle.
On the lower half circle it will be a function that adds 2 pi, with its inverse subtracting 2 pi.

Likes orion
Thank you. I'm still a little confused as to why subtracting or adding 2π is necessary.

I have another question because this is what really confuses me.

Given a manifold M and a homeomorphism φ: U → V with U ⊂ M and V ⊂ ℝn. In the example above, which coordinates (x,y) or α "live" on the manifold and which "live" in ℝn? I'm pretty sure that the (x,y) live in ℝ2 but I just want to hear it.

This is important because φ o φ-1 takes V1→V2 and should only be functions of those coordinates.

Thanks again for your help!.

You are correct. Strictly speaking, there are no coordinates on the manifold. The coordinates are for points in the Euclidean image spaces of the charts. When we say 'the point in M with coordinates (x,y)' what we mean is 'the point p such that ##\phi(p)=(x,y)##. Hence the expression is meaningless unless a chart ##\phi## has been unambiguously identified, either explicitly or implicitly.

To understand the addition or subtraction of 2 pi, and to more generally understand the relationship of ##S^1## to ##\mathbb R^1##, the concept of 'covering space' and 'covering map' are helpful. The wiki page on them is quite good. It specifically lists the case you are working on as an example (third bullet point).

Last edited:
Likes orion

What is an S^1 transition function?

An S^1 transition function, also known as a circle transition function, is a mathematical function that maps a point on a circle to another point on the same circle. It is used in topology to describe the behavior of a continuous transformation on a circle.

How is an S^1 transition function represented?

An S^1 transition function is typically represented as a map, which shows how each point on the circle is transformed to another point on the circle. This can be visually represented as a graph or a diagram.

What is the significance of S^1 transition functions?

S^1 transition functions are important in topology as they help to describe the behavior of continuous transformations on a circle. They also have applications in physics, particularly in the study of gauge theories and symmetries.

Can S^1 transition functions be generalized to higher dimensions?

Yes, S^1 transition functions can be generalized to higher dimensions. In topology, this is known as the n-sphere, where n represents the number of dimensions. This concept is important in understanding the behavior of continuous transformations in higher-dimensional spaces.

How are S^1 transition functions used in practical applications?

S^1 transition functions have practical applications in various fields, including computer graphics, robotics, and computer vision. They are also used in data analysis and machine learning to model complex systems and make predictions.