Calculate a spin state as a function of the base spin states

In summary: Do you see what I mean?In summary, the conversation discusses the use of spin states |u⟩ and |d⟩ as a base for writing any other spin states, as well as the probabilities of measuring up or down spin states for a given spin state |A⟩. It also introduces another vector couple, |r⟩ and |l⟩, representing spin states along the +x and -x semiaxes. The authors state that for |r⟩ to satisfy certain conditions, the coefficients αu and αd must be 1/√2 and i/√2, respectively. The same applies for |l⟩, |i⟩, and |o⟩. The phase ambiguity means that these coefficients can be multiplied
Luke_Mtt
TL;DR Summary
Hi everyone,
I recently started approaching for the first time to the quantum mechanics field by reading the book of Susskind and Friedman "Quantum Mechanics, The Theoretical Minimum" but I couldn't figure how the authors can express some spin state in function of two (orthogonal) base spin states (II chapter).
Practically it is said that, given two spin states |u⟩ (up) and |d⟩ (down) - which are the spin measured along the +z and -z semiaxes - such that they are orthogonal ( ⟨u|d⟩ = ⟨d|u⟩ = 0), it is possible to write any other spin states using a linear combination of these two (because they are a base of the states' vector space). So it is:

|A⟩ = αu |u⟩ + αd |d⟩ = ⟨u|A⟩ |u⟩ + ⟨d|A⟩ |d⟩

It is then said that given a spin state |A⟩, the probability to measure up or down (|u⟩ and |d⟩) spin states are:

Pu = ⟨A|u⟩ ⟨u|A⟩ = ⟨u|A⟩* ⟨u|A⟩ = αu* αu
Pd = ⟨A|d⟩ ⟨d|A⟩ = ⟨d|A⟩* ⟨d|A⟩ = αd* αd

(where x* is the complex conjugate)
Then, the total probability is 1 so that:

αu* αu + αd* αd = 1.

Which is equivalent to say that |A⟩ is normalized to the unit (⟨A|A⟩ = 1)

Then it is introduced another vector cuple considered as another base. This two vectors, |r⟩ (right) and |l⟩ (left) represent the spin state along the +x and -x semiaxes. Quoting verbatim the book it is said that "If a spin state |A⟩ prepares the initial state |r⟩, and an instrument that stores the spin value is rotated (from |r⟩ because it has prepared it) to measure the z axe's spin (σz), the probability to obtain up or down is the same (because the x axe is perpendicular to the z one), so it must be: αu* αu = αd* αd = ½". Then the authors state that a vector which satisfy this conditions is, for example:

|r⟩ = αu |u⟩ + αd |d⟩ = ⟨u|r⟩ |u⟩ + ⟨d|r⟩ |d⟩ = 1/√2 |u⟩ + 1/√2 |d⟩

After, they say, in addition to a phase ambiguity (please, can you make me understand this point too, because I couldn't figure out what phase ambiguity is), |r⟩ and |l⟩ must satisfy ⟨l|r⟩ = ⟨r|l⟩ = 0 too because of the fact of being a base of the vector space. They then say that this conditions bind the |l⟩ vector to take the form:

|l⟩ = αu |u⟩ + αd |d⟩ = ⟨u|l⟩ |u⟩ + ⟨d|l⟩ |d⟩ = 1/√2 |u⟩ - 1/√2 |d⟩

Then they repeat almost the same procedure for the y axe. So, calling |i⟩ (in) and |o⟩ (out) the spin state along the +y and -y semiaxes it is possible to use this two spin state as a base, provided that ⟨i|o⟩ = ⟨o|i⟩ = 0. Then it is known that:

αu* αu = ⟨u|o⟩* ⟨u|o⟩ = ⟨o|u⟩ ⟨u|o⟩ = ½ // αu* αu in function of o
αd* αd = ⟨d|o⟩* ⟨d|o⟩ = ⟨o|d⟩ ⟨d|o⟩ = ½ // αd* αd in function of o
αu* αu = ⟨u|i⟩* ⟨u|i⟩ = ⟨i|u⟩ ⟨u|i⟩ = ½ // αu* αu in function of i
αd* αd = ⟨d|i⟩* ⟨d|i⟩ = ⟨i|d⟩ ⟨d|i⟩ = ½ // αd* αd in function of i

And also because y is orthogonal both at z and at x it mus be

αr* αr = ⟨r|o⟩* ⟨r|o⟩ = ⟨o|r⟩ ⟨r|o⟩ = ½ // αr* αr in function of o
αl* αl = ⟨l|o⟩* ⟨l|o⟩ = ⟨o|l⟩ ⟨l|o⟩ = ½ // αl* αl in function of o
αr* αr = ⟨r|i⟩* ⟨r|i⟩ = ⟨i|r⟩ ⟨r|i⟩ = ½ // αr* αr in function of i
αl* αl = ⟨l|i⟩* ⟨l|i⟩ = ⟨i|l⟩ ⟨l|i⟩ = ½ // αo* αo in function of i

So, they say, apart from the phase ambiguity, the vectors for |i⟩ and |o⟩ which satisfies this conditions are:

|i⟩ = αu |u⟩ + αd |d⟩ = ⟨u|i⟩ |u⟩ + ⟨d|i⟩ |d⟩ = 1/√2 |u⟩ + i/√2 |d⟩
|l⟩ = αu |u⟩ + αd |d⟩ = ⟨u|o⟩ |u⟩ + ⟨d|o⟩ |d⟩ = 1/√2 |u⟩ - i/√2 |d⟩

Finally, the thing I couldn't understand, apart from the phase ambiguity, is "how the authors came up with the αu and αd coefficients for |r⟩, |l⟩, |i⟩, |o⟩"? Did they already know that this coefficients would have worked with that specific conditions or there is a process behind this choice? If it is, which calculus do I have to do to derive these coefficients?

P.S. My english is not perfect, so sorry for eventual errors.

Thank you for your time!

Physics news on Phys.org
The phase ambiguity means that you can multiply both coefficients by ##\exp(i\theta)##, where ##\theta## is any angle.

I haven't understood your second question about the coefficients. Do you mean you don't understand how they derived that ##a_{u} = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}##?

Exactly. Because the authors gave the final equations by saying "this vector can satisfy this particular conditions". But both in |r⟩, |l⟩ and |i⟩, |o⟩ I didn't understand how they have derived the αu and αd coefficients for this four spin states.

1. What is a spin state?

A spin state is a quantum mechanical property of a particle that describes its intrinsic angular momentum. It is commonly represented by the spin quantum number, which can have a value of either +1/2 or -1/2.

2. How is a spin state calculated?

A spin state can be calculated using the principles of quantum mechanics. It involves determining the probabilities of the particle being in each of the base spin states and then combining these probabilities to determine the overall spin state of the particle.

3. What are base spin states?

Base spin states are the two possible orientations of a particle's spin, represented by the spin quantum number of +1/2 and -1/2. These states form the basis for calculating the overall spin state of a particle.

4. Can the spin state of a particle change?

Yes, the spin state of a particle can change through interactions with other particles or through the application of external forces. This change is governed by the principles of quantum mechanics and can result in the particle transitioning to a different spin state.

5. Why is calculating spin states important?

Calculating spin states is important in understanding the behavior and properties of quantum particles. It allows scientists to make predictions about the behavior of particles in different scenarios and can also have practical applications in fields such as quantum computing and magnetic resonance imaging.