Understanding the Winding and Voltages of an AC Generator: A Hyundai Unit

In summary, a GA70 is a single phase, peak 6.3kVA, 115/230V, electronic AVR bolted on, slip rings, 2 windings, each spaced over 6 slots.
Shane Kennedy
Hi. Can anyone tell me how my AC generator is constructed. It is a Hyundai unit, the main windings consist of 4 wires in parallel, 2 sets of 6 coils, each one of the set is maybe 8 or 10 turns. There is a secondary pair of 2 windings each. This is centre-tapped, so I guess to provide exciter power for the AVR through an internal half-bridge rectifier. There is also a single conductor wound along with the exciter coils, I think to provide charging for a 12V battery. Then there is another single conductor winding which I believe to be the sense winding.
Can anyone provide a winding diagram, or even the voltages which would be expected on the exciter and sense windings. I am sure that the total turns for the main windings are standard, but If someone could indicate how many, that would be appreciated too.

Thanks in advance.
Shane

Engineering news on Phys.org
What is the model number? Is it 3 phase? What is the kW rating?
What is voltage selection available? Is there an external voltage regulator?
Does it have slip rings, or is it a marine alternator with a rotating transformer and 3PH bridge rectifier to control and power the rotating field?
Does the stator have two windings per phase making 6 windings so it can be linked for 115V in parallel or 230V in series, or configured as a delta or a star?

GA70, single phase, Peak 6.3kVA, 115/230V, electronic AVR bolted on, slip rings, 2 windings, each spaced over 6 slots.

The engine that I will be driving it from has it's own small alternator, so I could use that to provide the exciter power, and I could use an ordinary transformer on the mains output of the big generator for feedback/regulation ... if I knew what voltages were required.

Thanks

Last edited:
Seems like GA70 is not a Hyundai AC generator model number. Maybe that is a marketing badge describing a Gasoline AC generator, peak output 7kW.
It might be a unit from the Hyundai HY7000 series. Examine the generator for a manufacturers model and serial number plate. Can you estimate the year of manufacture? Is there a picture of the unit on the web?

20171129_212554.jpg

Attachments

• 20171129_212554.jpg
    20171129_212554.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 587
The label indicates it may have been marketed in Great Britain... and, pure speculation here, the Q.C. sticker could indicate a date of 1965, or maybe it shows Inspector No. 65 and Serial No, or...
I suggest you try contacting Hyundai in Great Britain. Their current 6kW generators are shown at: https://hyundaipowerequipment.co.uk/catalogsearch/result/?q=6kw

Good Luck! And let us know what you find.

I agree, it is pre-internet.
I emailed the technical people at genpower in the uk earlier asking for wiring / service info.

I received a reply. We need the model of the engine - generator combination, rather than the alternator alone.
“Thank you for the email on the machine the generator should have a model on it it will have something like DHY at the start or EVO followed by a number can you please send that across and i can get the the correct diagram for that machine.”

see if the drawings about page 49 here
http://www.hyundaipower.ca/manuals/3500-English-Manual.pdf

have at least a family resemblance.

old jim

I tried Hyundai UK, and was simply told "we don't have winding diagrams". I separated the alternator from the engine some time ago, and have disposed of the rest of it as u/s.

1. How does an AC generator produce and regulate voltage?

An AC generator produces voltage through the process of electromagnetic induction. This is achieved by rotating a coil of wire within a magnetic field, which creates a changing magnetic flux that induces an alternating current (AC) in the coil. The voltage produced can be regulated by adjusting the speed of rotation or the strength of the magnetic field.

2. What is the difference between single-phase and three-phase AC generator winding?

A single-phase AC generator has one set of windings on its stator, while a three-phase AC generator has three sets of windings that are spaced evenly around the stator. This allows for a more consistent and efficient production of electricity in three-phase generators.

3. How do you calculate the output voltage of an AC generator?

The output voltage of an AC generator is determined by the number of windings on the stator, the speed of rotation, and the strength of the magnetic field. The formula for calculating output voltage is V = N x ω x B, where V is the output voltage, N is the number of windings, ω is the angular velocity (rpm x 2π/60), and B is the strength of the magnetic field.

4. What is the purpose of multiple windings in an AC generator?

Multiple windings in an AC generator allow for different voltage levels to be produced. This is useful for applications that require different levels of voltage, such as power transmission and different types of electrical equipment.

5. How do you test the voltage output of an AC generator winding?

The voltage output of an AC generator winding can be tested using a voltmeter. First, make sure the generator is running at its rated speed. Then, connect the voltmeter to the output terminals of the generator and read the voltage. If the voltage is within the expected range, the winding is functioning properly. If the voltage is too low or too high, there may be an issue with the winding or the generator's regulation system.