Understanding thevenin theorem

In summary: The author says: Because of the presence of the dependent source, however, we excite the network with a voltage source Vo...Okay, what would the author have done if there were no dependent source?He would have skipped adding a source to excite the dependent one, Open Circuit (OC) all the current sources and Short Circuit (SC) all the voltage sources, and then calculated the resistance seen by the terminals of the network.
PainterGuy
Hi, :smile:

I don't think this fits into homework section because in the first place it's not homework related problem, and secondly I'm only concerned about understanding the theorem. If you think it doesn't belong here, then please forgive me, and I request you to move it to other section. Thanks.

I'm trying to understand Thevenin's thoerem through an example problem. Given below are two scans of the example problem.

1: The author says: Because of the presence of the dependent source, however, we excite the network with a voltage source Vo...

Okay, what would the author have done if there were no dependent source?

2: Why does the author choose subscripts "o" and "oc" in Vo and Voc when the author is concerned about the terminals "a" and "b" of the circuit? Why didn't the author choose more meaningful subscripts?

3: I1 = 1/6 A, I2 = -1/18 A, I3 = -1/6 A

The above currents, I1, I2, and I3, are for three loops. The circuit consists of three loops, right? The current supplied by the 1V source is assumed to be Io. This is the current being fed to the entire circuit. The authors then says Io = -I3. Why? The I3 is the current only in ONE loop which is only one part of the circuit, then how can we equate something such as Io which is being fed into the entire circuit to something which is only being fed in a part of that entire circuit?

4: The author says: 4(I1 - I2) = Vx.
Is this correct? Previously, the author has said: -4I2 = Vx = I1 - I2.

Please help me with the above queries. It would be really kind and nice of you. Thank you

Scans
1: part one of the example:
http://img197.imageshack.us/img197/5708/theveninpart1.jpg
2: part two of the example
http://img709.imageshack.us/img709/3244/theveninpart2.jpg

Cheers

Engineering news on Phys.org
1: The author says: Because of the presence of the dependent source, however, we excite the network with a voltage source Vo...

Okay, what would the author have done if there were no dependent source?

He would have skipped adding a source to excite the dependent one, Open Circuit (OC) all the current sources and Short Circuit (SC) all the voltage sources, and then calculated the resistance seen by the terminals of the network.

2: Why does the author choose subscripts "o" and "oc" in Vo and Voc when the author is concerned about the terminals "a" and "b" of the circuit? Why didn't the author choose more meaningful subscripts?

The terminals of the network are where it would traditionally connect to a load of some sort, and are generally labeled as Vout or Vo for short. Any voltage could be Vab but Vo is generally a unique term for the output voltage.

Voc is the Open Circuit Voltage seen at the output terminals while calculating the Rth

3: I1 = 1/6 A, I2 = -1/18 A, I3 = -1/6 A

The above currents, I1, I2, and I3, are for three loops. The circuit consists of three loops, right? The current supplied by the 1V source is assumed to be Io. This is the current being fed to the entire circuit. The authors then says Io = -I3. Why? The I3 is the current only in ONE loop which is only one part of the circuit, then how can we equate something such as Io which is being fed into the entire circuit to something which is only being fed in a part of that entire circuit?

Io is the only current in the I3 mesh and is going in the opposite direction to I3, hence the minus sign. If the voltage source was a current source then the mesh's current value would be that sources current value, would it not? Yes, I3 is being fed into the entire circuit, otherwise how would the I1 and I2 mesh currents have values?

4: The author says: 4(I1 - I2) = Vx. Is this correct? Previously, the author has said: -4I2 = Vx = I1 - I2.

Be careful which circuit and which set of calculations you are looking at. The values you find with the added voltage source are not compatible with the values you find in the original circuit (excluding the Vx value that gives the dependent source a static value)!

Many, many thanks, Zryn. I'm much grateful for all the help.

Cheers

Related to Understanding thevenin theorem

What is Thevenin's theorem?

Thevenin's theorem is a fundamental principle in electrical circuit analysis that helps simplify complex circuits by reducing them to a single voltage source and a single resistor. It states that any linear electric network with voltage and current sources, and resistors, can be replaced by an equivalent circuit consisting of a voltage source in series with a single resistor.

When is Thevenin's theorem used?

Thevenin's theorem is used when analyzing complex electrical circuits to determine the voltage and current at a specific point in the circuit. It is particularly useful when dealing with circuits that have multiple voltage and current sources and can simplify the analysis process.

How do you determine the Thevenin equivalent voltage and resistance?

To determine the Thevenin equivalent voltage and resistance, you must first remove the load resistor from the circuit and find the open-circuit voltage (VOC) between the two terminals. Then, short-circuit the voltage sources and find the short-circuit current (ISC) flowing through the terminals. The Thevenin voltage (VTH) is equal to the open-circuit voltage, and the Thevenin resistance (RTH) is equal to the voltage source's internal resistance.

What are the limitations of Thevenin's theorem?

Thevenin's theorem is limited to linear circuits, meaning it cannot be applied to circuits with nonlinear elements such as diodes or transistors. It also assumes that the circuit is in a steady-state and does not take into account any time-varying effects.

How is Thevenin's theorem different from Norton's theorem?

Thevenin's theorem and Norton's theorem are two equivalent circuit theorems that can be used interchangeably. The main difference is that Thevenin's theorem uses a voltage source and a series resistor, while Norton's theorem uses a current source and a parallel resistor. Both theorems can be used to simplify complex circuits and determine the voltage and current at a specific point.