Understanding time translations in Ballentine

• A
  • Thread starter EE18
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Time
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of time translation in nonrelativistic mechanics and its application in the Galilean group. The question is raised about the meaning of time translation and its effects on the system. The conversation also mentions the transformation of wavefunctions and the differences between active and passive transformations. Ultimately, the conversation centers around understanding the end of Saoirse's answer and equation (3.8) in Ballentine's quantum text.
EE18
I suppose this question ultimately boils down to: when we speak of a time translation (in nonrelativistic mechanics, so that the Galilean group is the apporpiate symmetry group under which the physics of a system must not change) what do we mean? In particular, do we mean that the value we assign to the current moment does not matter (of course) or that if we actually actively translate the system in time, then nothing changes (how can this be true? The state may evolve in time!).

This question is motivated by the following excerpt from Ballentine's quantum text on page 77:

Corresponding to the time displacement 𝑡→𝑡′=𝑡+𝑠, there is a vector space transformation of the form (3.8) [i.e. effected by the unitary operator for time translations which was earlier seen to be ##e^{isH}## in this context],|𝜓(𝑡)⟩→##e^{isH}##|𝜓(𝑡)⟩ =(?) |𝜓(𝑡−𝑠)⟩
where it's the equality marked with (?) which I can't follow and which I think has to do with my lack of understanding of time translations. If I am doing 𝑡→𝑡′=𝑡+𝑠 on the system then shouldn't my system get mapped to |𝜓′⟩=|𝜓(𝑡′)⟩=|𝜓(𝑡+𝑠)⟩? If 𝑠>0 I am ahead in time after the active transformation, no? I think the crux of my misunderstanding is why a ##t-s##rather than ##t+s## appears in the argument of the transformed state.

This is related to my not understanding the end of Saoirse's answer here.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
It all boils down to equation (3.8)
$$U(\tau)\psi(x)=\psi(\tau^{-1}x).$$
Notice that transforming "forward" the wavefunctions is the same as leaving the wavefunction intact but transforming "backward" the space-time variable variables.Hence, moving forward in time, ##t \rightarrow t+s##, is given by ##\psi(t) \rightarrow\psi(t-s).##

Last edited:
Likes LittleSchwinger
EE18 said:
I think the crux of my misunderstanding is why a ##t-s##rather than ##t+s## appears in the argument of the transformed state.
Adding to andresB's answer...

Imagine a classical observer in spacetime who, at time ##t## (as given by his wristwatch) constructs a (Cartesian, say) local coordinate system, i.e., a grid marked out in space and time numbers. To get to the point on the grid where his watch would read ##t+s## he must tardis himself forward in time to where the time coordinate on the grid says "##t+s##". Alternatively, he could grab the whole grid and slide it backwards in time by an amount ##-s##.

The former is called an "active" transformation, the latter is called a "passive" transformation. In general these are usually inverses of each other.

As for complications regarding nontrivial state evolution, that can only happen we have a nontrivial Hamiltonian. We still use the Schrodinger equation (3.38) to compute what ##\Psi(t)## looks like at arbitrary times.

Likes LittleSchwinger

1. What is time translation in Ballentine's theory?

Time translation in Ballentine's theory refers to the mathematical concept of shifting the reference frame or origin of time in a physical system. It is a way to describe the evolution of a system in terms of how it changes over time.

2. How does time translation affect physical systems?

Time translation does not affect the physical properties of a system, but it changes the way we describe the system's evolution. In other words, the physical behavior of a system remains the same, but the mathematical representation of that behavior shifts based on the chosen reference frame.

3. What is the significance of time translation in physics?

Time translation is significant in physics because it allows us to study the behavior of physical systems in different reference frames. This concept is crucial in understanding the fundamental principles of relativity and how they apply to different physical phenomena.

4. How does Ballentine's theory differ from other theories of time translation?

Ballentine's theory is a quantum mechanical approach to time translation, which means it applies to the behavior of subatomic particles. Other theories, such as classical mechanics, also incorporate time translation, but they focus on larger, macroscopic systems.

5. Can time translation be observed in real-life situations?

Yes, time translation can be observed in real-life situations. For example, the effects of time dilation in special relativity, which is a consequence of time translation, have been observed in high-speed particle accelerators and GPS satellites. However, these effects are only noticeable at extremely high speeds or in extreme gravitational fields.