Understanding Truss Analysis: Investigating the Accuracy of a Bridge Design App

In summary, this app is capable of performing truss analysis, but has some limitations that may prevent it from accurately handling asymmetrically applied loads and may have other requirements for the number of members a structure must have given a fixed number of nodes.
mishima
Hi, my high school students enjoy using the applet found here (http://pages.jh.edu/~virtlab/bridge/truss.htm) to design model (basswood) bridges for our annual regional contest. It seems to require firefox these days.

Recently, some designs have been causing extremely large forces to be reported. For example, a 200 load causing forces of 500+ in multiple members. A screenshot of the design which causes this is below.

bridge.jpg

So naturally both myself and my students are curious why some designs cause this. I am familiar with truss analysis using the method of joints, but the software appears to use some kind of matrix to do the calculations all at once. I was wondering if anyone had insight into how this software might do its calculations.

My guess is that it can only accurately handle simple trusses.

Engineering news on Phys.org
mishima said:
Hi, my high school students enjoy using the applet found here (http://pages.jh.edu/~virtlab/bridge/truss.htm) to design model (basswood) bridges for our annual regional contest. It seems to require firefox these days.

Recently, some designs have been causing extremely large forces to be reported. For example, a 200 load causing forces of 500+ in multiple members. A screenshot of the design which causes this is below.

bridge.jpg

So naturally both myself and my students are curious why some designs cause this. I am familiar with truss analysis using the method of joints, but the software appears to use some kind of matrix to do the calculations all at once. I was wondering if anyone had insight into how this software might do its calculations.

My guess is that it can only accurately handle simple trusses.
Matrix truss analysis is a proven technique. If you have concerns about this particular app., there should be some sample trusses that you can find in a textbook or on the web which has results that you can compare to an analysis of the same structure performed by this app.

After you obtain results, you can still use statics to check them if you question whether they are correct.

Well, here is more extreme example showing a 100 load magically amplified into the billions by the same truss. There seems to be some prerequisites to the technique that we are unintentionally breaking.

trussd.jpg

Whatever this app is doing, it can't handle asymmetrically applied loads. It also has a peculiar requirement for the number of members a structure must have given a fixed number of nodes.

I recommend you find another app which doesn't have the problems this one has.

1. What is a matrix in truss analysis?

A matrix in truss analysis is a mathematical tool used to represent the forces and displacements within a truss structure. It is composed of rows and columns that correspond to the different nodes and members of the truss system.

2. How is a matrix used in truss analysis?

A matrix is used in truss analysis to solve for the unknown forces and displacements within a truss structure. By setting up a system of equations using the matrix, the values of the forces and displacements at each node can be determined.

3. What are the advantages of using a matrix in truss analysis?

Using a matrix in truss analysis allows for a more efficient and accurate solution to complex truss structures. It also allows for easier visualization and manipulation of the truss system, making it easier to identify areas of high stress or displacement.

4. Are there any limitations to using a matrix in truss analysis?

While a matrix is a powerful tool in truss analysis, it does have some limitations. It assumes that the truss is perfectly rigid, which may not always be the case in real-life structures. Additionally, it requires a significant amount of computational power for larger and more complex truss systems.

5. How does a matrix help in analyzing the stability of a truss structure?

A matrix is used to determine the forces and displacements within a truss structure, which can then be used to calculate the stability of the structure. By analyzing the internal forces and displacements, it is possible to identify potential weak points or areas of instability in the truss system.