Understanding Unbalance Force in Rotating Systems

In summary, the conversation discusses the force caused by an unbalanced rotor and the representation of the bearing with two springs. The rotor, when perfectly balanced, has its geometrical center and center of gravity coinciding with the center of the stator. However, when an unbalance mass is present, the three centers no longer coincide. The unbalance force is defined as the product of the unbalance mass, distance from the center, and angular velocity. Two questions are raised regarding the distance and center of gravity, and it is suggested to restate the questions with specific mathematical understanding for better clarity.
synMehdi
TL;DR Summary
understanding what happens to a rotor when an unbalance mass is added in a spring model bearing
I would like to undertand more the force caused by unbalance in a rotor, assume that the bearing is represented with 2 springs like above:
geogebra-export.png

The geometrical center of the rotor ##O## is equivalent to it center of gravity ##C_g## and the center of the stator (bearing) ##O'##
The rotor is perfectly balanced all the centers coincide

When the rotor has an unbalance mass ##M_u##, the 3 centers no longer coincide:

d3.png

I ommited the springs representing the bearing. The rotor (with mass ##M_r##) turns and orbits around the center of the stator ##O'##
The unbalance force is defined as ##F_u=M_u\cdot r\cdot \omega^2 ##
My question is: What is ##r## ? Is it ##O'M_u## or ##OM_u##.
I understand that these two vectors are virtually the same in an up-to-scale rotor
The unbalance can also be defined as ##F_u=(M_r+M_u)\cdot e\cdot \omega^2 \approx M_r\cdot e\cdot \omega^2##
so my second question is: How about ##e##?. Is it ##O'Cg## or ##OCg## ?
This time the two vectors are not virtually the same

I guess I want to understand what's going on when the rotor is orbiting and turning around itself. My guess is ##e=O'C_g## because ##O'## will depend on the stiffness of the bearing. Infinite stiffness will make ##O'=O## and the unbalance force will be described with no problems. zero stifness will make ##O'=Cg## and zero unbalance force, right? It should seem ##e## should be ##O'Cg## but I don't fully understand why.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Your post is not drawing any answers, and I think the reason is because of the fuzzy way it is stated. I'd suggest that you start again, include the mathematics of your understanding, and ask specific, answerable questions. Things like "I guess want to understand what's going on ..." really is asking someone to pour knowledge and understanding into your mind, something way beyond our capabilities.

Likes BvU

1. What is a rotating unbalanced force?

A rotating unbalanced force is a type of force that causes an object to rotate or spin. It occurs when there is a net force acting on an object that is not located at its center of mass, causing the object to rotate around its center of mass.

2. How does a rotating unbalanced force affect an object?

A rotating unbalanced force causes an object to rotate or spin in a circular motion. The speed and direction of the rotation will depend on the magnitude and direction of the force, as well as the mass and shape of the object.

3. What are some real-life examples of a rotating unbalanced force?

Some common examples of a rotating unbalanced force include a bicycle wheel spinning, a merry-go-round rotating, and a planet orbiting around the sun. It can also be seen in everyday tasks such as opening a door or turning a steering wheel.

4. How is a rotating unbalanced force different from a balanced force?

A balanced force occurs when the net force acting on an object is equal to zero, resulting in no change in the object's motion. In contrast, a rotating unbalanced force causes an object to rotate or spin, as there is a net force acting on the object that is not balanced by an equal and opposite force.

5. How can a rotating unbalanced force be calculated?

The magnitude of a rotating unbalanced force can be calculated using the formula F = m x a, where F is the force, m is the mass of the object, and a is the acceleration caused by the force. The direction of the force can be determined using the right-hand rule, where the thumb points in the direction of the force, and the fingers curl in the direction of the rotation.