Understanding Unfaithful Representations of Z_2 in the Caley Table

In summary: If you have a representation ##f: G\to \operatorname{GL}(V)##, the kernel is a normal subgroup and the quotient group is isomorphic to a subgroup of ##\operatorname{GL}(V)##, that is ##G/\ker f\cong H \leq \operatorname{GL}(V)## where ##H## is a group of invertible matrices. This is why we can say that a representation is a kind of "probing" of a group by looking at linear transformations.In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of group representations and how they relate to Cayley tables. A group representation is a homomorphism from a group to the general linear group
LagrangeEuler
Every group needs to have that every element appear only once at each row and each column. But in the case of unfaithful representations of ##Z_2## sometimes we have ##D(e)=1##, ##D(g)=1##. When we write the Caley table we will have that one appears twice in both rows and in both columns. How is that group?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
A group representation is an homomorphism ##D\, : \,G\longrightarrow GL(S)##. Both are groups, but they neither need to be isomorphic, nor epimorphic, nor monomorphism. They Cayley tables of these groups have nothing to do with ##D##.

This is my question. If I see this table is it a group and why?
[tex]

\begin{array}{l|*{5}{l}}
& 1 & 1 \\
\hline
1 & 1 & 1 \\
1 & 1 & 1 \\

\end{array}

[/tex]

LagrangeEuler said:
[tex]

\begin{array}{l|*{5}{l}}
& 1 & 1 \\
\hline
1 & 1 & 1 \\
1 & 1 & 1 \\

\end{array}

[/tex]
This makes not much sense. ##\{1,1\}=\{1\}##. Do you have one one or two ones?

Likes Vanadium 50
I have ##(\{1,1\},\cdot)##.

So I have two elements that are identical.

LagrangeEuler said:
So I have two elements that are identical.
Read this again! ##\{1\}## is a group. If you like, you can build ##\{1\}\times \{1\}##, but I am almost certain that this is not what you meant.

Well, this is a representation of ##Z_2## group. So it needs to be a group. If I write just Caley table it is confusing. Because of that, I asked the question. Your answers till now were not helpful.

• Skeptical
Likes weirdoguy
What I meant is that if you have ##Z_2## group with elements ##e## and ##g## and you define
##f(e)=1##,##f(g)=1## could that you say that you have ##Z_2## group with elements ##1## and ##1## and this is unfaithful representation of ##Z_2## group.

LagrangeEuler said:
Well, this is a representation of ##Z_2## group. So it needs to be a group. If I write just Caley table it is confusing. Because of that, I asked the question. Your answers till now were not helpful.
There is no such thing as a Cayley table for a representation.

The Cayley table for ##\mathbb{Z}_2## is
\begin{array}{l|*{5}{l}}
+ & 0 & 1 \\
\hline
0 & 0 & 1 \\
\hline
1 & 1 & 0 \\
\end{array}

As I said earlier, a representation is a group homomorphism ##D\, : \,\mathbb{Z}_2\longrightarrow \operatorname{Aut}(S)## with a set ##S##. Let's assume for simplicity that ##S## is finite, say ##S=\{s_1,\ldots,s_n\}.## Then ##D(0)=\operatorname{id}_S=1## so ##D(0)(s_k)=s_k##. ##D(1)=\sigma## is then a permutation of ##S## and since ##\sigma^2=\sigma\cdot\sigma=D(1)\cdot D(1)=D(1+1)=D(0)=1## it is of order two. The only table I see here is to write
\begin{align*}
D\, : \,\mathbb{Z}_2 &\longrightarrow \operatorname{S}_n\\
0&\longmapsto \operatorname{id}_S = (s_k\longmapsto s_k)\\
1&\longmapsto \sigma=(s_k\longmapsto \sigma(s_k))
\end{align*}

I have the impression that you identified ##0\in \mathbb{Z}_2## with ##\operatorname{id}_S## and ##1\in \mathbb{Z}_2## with ##\sigma\in \operatorname{S}_n## but why? They are in different groups and as such different elements. Since the kernel of ##D## is a subgroup of ##\mathbb{Z}_2##, we don't have many choices. Either this kernel is ##\{0\}## in which case we have a faithful representation and ##\operatorname{Aut}(S)=S_n \trianglerighteq D(\mathbb{Z}_2)\cong \mathbb{Z}_2,## or we have the trivial representation ##D(0)=D(1)=\operatorname{id}_S##.

The only difference between them is that they have different elements that correspond to them in the original group. If for instance, we have a set of matrices that obey the rule of some group. Let's say ##S_3##, why I can not write down the multiplication table of those matrices? And what if two of those matrices are completely the same? Could I write a multiplication table for them? If not, why not?

LagrangeEuler said:
What I meant is that if you have ##Z_2## group with elements ##e## and ##g## and you define
##f(e)=1##,##f(g)=1## could that you say that you have ##Z_2## group with elements ##1## and ##1## and this is unfaithful representation of ##Z_2## group.
A representation is not a group- it is a (special type of) homomorphism. Given a homomorphism ##f:G\to H##, there is certainly nothing stopping you from considering all products ##f(g)f(g')=f(gg')## for ##g,g'\in G## and writing down a multiplication table, but as noted above this won't be a multiplication table for a group when ##f## isn't injective. If you throw out duplicates, then it will be since the image of a homomorphism is a subgroup of its codomain.

LagrangeEuler said:
[tex]

\begin{array}{l|*{5}{l}}
& 1 & 1 \\
\hline
1 & 1 & 1 \\
1 & 1 & 1 \\

\end{array}

[/tex]
The elements of ##Z_2## are 0 and 1. If the group operation is multiplication, the table above will look like this:
$$ \begin{array}{l|*{5}{l}}
* & 0 & 1 \\
\hline
0 & 0 & 0 \\
1 & 0 & 1 \\

\end{array}$$

I think the point is that you can take a group representation of ##\mathbb{Z}_2## which maps both 0 and 1 to 1. But then the new group has only one element, not two.

But then it's the trivial group, not Z2. (I suppose it could be called C1 or Z1, but I have never heard it called anything but "trivial")

I think the OP is very confused about the concept of a representation, and as far as I am concerned, refuses to even think about the correct phrasing. All began with the identification of ##1\in G## with ##1\in \operatorname{Aut}(S)##, and to speak of Cayley tables without distinguishing between ##G,\varphi(G),\operatorname{Aut}(S)##, and in case ##S## is a group, too, then ##S## adds to the list.

You cannot answer an ill-phrased question when simultaneously the questioner insists on the phrasing.

Likes Vanadium 50 and sysprog
Vanadium 50 said:
But then it's the trivial group, not Z2. (I suppose it could be called C1 or Z1, but I have never heard it called anything but "trivial")

A representation of a group is just a group homomorphism to the general linear group. Nothing requires it to be injective, that is in fact what a faithful representation is.

1. What is the group Z_2?

The group Z_2, also known as the cyclic group of order 2, is a mathematical concept that represents a set of two elements and the binary operation of addition modulo 2. It is denoted as {0, 1} and has properties such as closure, associativity, identity, and inverse.

2. How are elements represented in group Z_2?

In group Z_2, elements are represented by the numbers 0 and 1. These numbers correspond to the identity element and its inverse, respectively. For example, in the group Z_2, 0 is the identity element and 1 is its inverse, as 0 + 1 = 1 and 1 + 1 = 0 (mod 2).

3. What is the significance of the group Z_2 in mathematics?

The group Z_2 has various applications in mathematics, including algebra, number theory, and cryptography. It is the simplest example of a cyclic group and serves as the building block for more complex groups. It is also used to study symmetry and patterns in mathematical structures.

4. How is the group Z_2 related to binary operations?

The group Z_2 is closely related to binary operations, as it represents the set of all possible outcomes of a binary operation (addition modulo 2). This means that any binary operation performed on the elements of Z_2 will result in either 0 or 1, making it a useful tool in studying binary operations and their properties.

5. What are some real-life examples of group Z_2?

Group Z_2 can be found in various real-life examples, such as in computer science and digital electronics. In computer science, the binary system used in computers is based on the group Z_2, where 0 represents "off" and 1 represents "on". In digital electronics, the group Z_2 is used to represent the two possible states of a switch (open or closed).