Understanding Vacuum: 15HgV, 25HgV & High Viscosity Fluid

• B
  • Thread starter FiveO
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Vacuum
In summary: But if you want to use the same pump to both achieve the desired pressures, you have to connect the high pressure end to the pump and the low pressure end to one of the regulators.
FiveO
Hi

First question:
In one end there is vacuum something like 15HgV, other end is something like 25HgV, in the middle there is high viscosity fluid that is pre vacuumed in 25HgV for any air bubbles. 15HgV , space, high viscosity fluid, space, 25HgV . Does the fluid move to the higher vacuum or stay in place?

Second question:
If I use vacuum pump in full vacuum(29.9HgV) and I want to split(Y - way) vacuum for two regulators, first 15HgV, second 25HgV, do I get 25HgV to the second regulator?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
For the first question, what do you think happens and why? It may be easier to think in terms of absolute pressures.

I must confess that I don’t understand the configuration in the second question.

Likes Lnewqban and sophiecentaur
I think the fluid move for the higher vacuum side. But can this help to stay in place - 15HgV , space, high viscosity fluid, vacuum tower with 15HgV, high viscosity fluid, vacuum tower with 25HgV ?

Vacuum regulators compensate the lower output vacuum with normal air pressure. So if the first vacuum regulator is set to 15HgV, does the second regulator can get to 25HgV or stay the same as the first regulator?

Vacuum pump - Y separator - first regulator on left Y side, second regulator on right Y side. To point... I want two different vacuum pressures with one vacuum pump.

confusion-confusion-everywhere-r1fmci.jpg

• Haha
Likes sophiecentaur, etotheipi and berkeman
Could you make a diagram, even with paper and pencil, and post it?

I hope this helps.

Attachments

• IMG_20210330_185331.jpg
    IMG_20210330_185331.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 103
Ok. I try to explain again.
On the picture:

Q1 #1 What happens with blue medium(it is vacuumed with 25Hgv before put on the pipe). Do it moves to 15Hgv, 25HgV or stay in place?

Q1 #3 Same as like the firs question but with additional(2) 15Hgv port/tower.

Q2 #1 One vacuum pump with 29.9Hgv, 1 regulator regulated to 15HgV, 2 regulator regulated to 25Hgv. Do I get 25HgV on the 2 regulator or I am stuck with both regulators on 15HgV?

Q1 #1 and #3: it is about relative pressures. The blue goo will move from high pressure to low pressure with a force acting on it equal to the pressure difference times the normal surface area. Whether the absolute pressure is higher or lower than atmospheric is irrelevant, as long as there is no contact with the atmospheric pressure. So in both cases the goo will move to the lowest pressure tube.

Q2: If the regulators are mounted in parallel with the low pressure end connected but the high pressure end separated as shown in your drawing, you get indeed the pressures the way you draw them.

1. What is the meaning of "15HgV", "25HgV", and "High Viscosity Fluid" in relation to vacuum?

"15HgV" and "25HgV" refer to the units of measurement for vacuum pressure, specifically inches of mercury. These values indicate the amount of vacuum pressure being applied, with 15HgV being less pressure than 25HgV. "High Viscosity Fluid" refers to a type of fluid that has a thicker consistency and requires more pressure to move through a system.

2. How do these measurements affect the performance of a vacuum system?

The measurement of vacuum pressure, such as 15HgV or 25HgV, is important in determining the efficiency and effectiveness of a vacuum system. Higher pressure levels, such as 25HgV, indicate a stronger vacuum and can result in better performance. High viscosity fluids can also impact the performance of a vacuum system, as they may require more pressure to be effectively moved through the system.

3. What is the relationship between vacuum pressure and high viscosity fluids?

The relationship between vacuum pressure and high viscosity fluids is that the thicker consistency of the fluid requires more pressure to be effectively moved through the system. This means that a higher vacuum pressure, such as 25HgV, may be necessary to properly move high viscosity fluids through a vacuum system.

4. How do I know which vacuum pressure and fluid viscosity is best for my application?

The best vacuum pressure and fluid viscosity for your application will depend on a variety of factors, such as the type of system you are using and the specific needs of your process. It is important to consult with a vacuum expert or refer to the manufacturer's guidelines to determine the most suitable pressure and viscosity for your application.

5. Are there any safety concerns when working with high vacuum pressure and high viscosity fluids?

Yes, there can be safety concerns when working with high vacuum pressure and high viscosity fluids. It is important to follow all safety protocols and use proper protective gear when handling these materials. Additionally, it is important to regularly monitor and maintain the vacuum system to ensure safe and efficient operation.