Understanding Vector Calculus: Answer Check and Tips for Tomorrow's Exam

In summary: Use the dot product definition to find the normal.In summary, the conversation is about finding a vector perpendicular to given vectors, finding the equation of a plane through a given point and perpendicular to a given vector, and finding the angles between two planes. The use of cross product and dot product is also discussed.
terryfields
i think i get this now but just checking as i have the exam tomorrow and won't do this part if I am getting it wrong.

(2) (a) find a vector perpendicular to a=i+2j-2k and b=-2i+3j+5k
just use the cross product? and get 15i+j+7k

(b) (i) find the equation of the plane through position vector (2,1,1) and perpendicular to the vector(3,-1,2)

is this Plane II=T(3,-1,2) + (2,1,1)

determin the perpendicular distance of plane II from the orogin

no idea here??

(ii) Find the equation of the plane III through three points (2,-2,1)=a (4,-1,6)=b and (3,-3,2)=c i use a-b and a-c and then do the cross product of these two answers to get (6i,-3j,-3k) am i right in thinking that it doesn't matter which 2 i use to get this cross product e.g i could use b-c b-a etc to find the normal then i have the answer planeIII=T(6,-3,-3)+(2,-2,1) (plus any point)

(iii) find the angles between the 2 planes, i'll wait for some feedback before i attempt this, thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
terryfields said:
i think i get this now but just checking as i have the exam tomorrow and won't do this part if I am getting it wrong.

(2) (a) find a vector perpendicular to a=i+2j-2k and b=-2i+3j+5k
just use the cross product? and get 15i+j+7k
Yes correct.

(b) (i) find the equation of the plane through position vector (2,1,1) and perpendicular to the vector(3,-1,2)

is this Plane II=T(3,-1,2) + (2,1,1)

determin the perpendicular distance of plane II from the orogin

no idea here??
The equation of any plane is given by [tex]\vec{n} \cdot \vec{P_0 P} = 0[/tex] where n is the normal vector to the plane, OP is the position vector (x,y,z) and P0 is any reference point on the plane. The perpendicular distance from the plane can be found by assuming that the normal vector can be scaled by some constant so that it "touches" the origin.

(ii) Find the equation of the plane III through three points (2,-2,1)=a (4,-1,6)=b and (3,-3,2)=c i use a-b and a-c and then do the cross product of these two answers to get (6i,-3j,-3k) am i right in thinking that it doesn't matter which 2 i use to get this cross product e.g i could use b-c b-a etc to find the normal then i have the answer planeIII=T(6,-3,-3)+(2,-2,1) (plus any point)
You're right it does not matter, but make sure the two vectors you use are not parallel or anti-parallel (why?).

sorry i don't understand this second part what is the vector P0P? don't understand what i have to do with the normal vector here to find the equation of the plane?

and so I've got the 2 plane equations wrong right?

terryfields said:
sorry i don't understand this second part what is the vector P0P? don't understand what i have to do with the normal vector here to find the equation of the plane?
The P0 simply refers to any point on the plane taken as a reference. For example if it is given that the point (1,2,3) lies on the plane, you can let P0 be the reference point.

terryfields said:
and so I've got the 2 plane equations wrong right?
That is equation of a line, if I interpret your T to mean the parameter which varies. The vector equation of a plane has two parameters, not one. You're not required to express the equation of a plane in vector form, are you? If not just stick to the x,y,z notation alone.

so on this b(i) how do i go about finding (a) any point on the plane and (b) the normal vector as the only information i am given is a position vector (2,1,1,) and a perpendicular vector (3,-1,2)

The position vector given is a point on the plane. As for the normal vector, what is definition of "normal"?

but i have to do N.P0P doesn't that mean N dot product with the distance between the position vector and any point on the plane? if so isn't the distance between the position vector and itself going to be zero? as for the normal vector isn't that the opposite of the perpendicular? but i have no clue how to find it

Yes it will equate to zero. That is how you get an equation. The normal vector to the plane is also perpendicular to the plane.

Related to Understanding Vector Calculus: Answer Check and Tips for Tomorrow's Exam

1. What is vector calculus?

Vector calculus is a branch of mathematics that deals with vector-valued functions and their derivatives. It includes concepts such as vector fields, line and surface integrals, and theorems like Green's, Stokes', and the Divergence theorem.

2. Why is vector calculus important?

Vector calculus is important because it is used to model and solve problems in various fields, such as physics, engineering, and economics. It provides a powerful framework for understanding and manipulating vector quantities, which are commonly encountered in these fields.

3. What are some real-life applications of vector calculus?

Some real-life applications of vector calculus include studying fluid flow, analyzing electric and magnetic fields, predicting weather patterns, optimizing economic models, and designing structures and machines.

4. Can you give an example of a vector calculus problem?

One example of a vector calculus problem is finding the flux of a vector field through a closed surface. This involves calculating the surface integral of the dot product between the vector field and the surface's normal vector.

5. What are some resources for learning vector calculus?

There are several resources available for learning vector calculus, such as textbooks, online courses, and video tutorials. Some popular textbooks include "Vector Calculus" by Jerrold E. Marsden and Anthony J. Tromba and "Calculus: Early Transcendentals" by James Stewart. Online resources like Khan Academy and Coursera also offer courses on vector calculus. Additionally, many universities offer free lecture notes and practice problems on their websites.