Understanding Why Tires Grip the Road Better on Level Ground

• Thread starter Dooga Blackrazor
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ground Tires
In summary, the tire grip better on level ground because there is a normal force (opposite of gravity) which is larger when the car is inclined. The weight of object 2 (which is greater) pulls object 1 to the right, but because object 2 has an acceleration which slows the acceleration to the right, M(2) has a smaller effect.
Dooga Blackrazor
1. Why do tires grip the road better on level ground than they do going uphill or downhill?

I have some ideas, but I'm not sure how to word them, or if they are correct. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

2. A mass M(1) = 3.5 kg, rests on a horizontal table and is attached by ropes to masses M(2) = 1.5 kg and M(3) = 2.5 kg. After is is released, what are the magnitude and direction of the acceleration of M(1)? Ignore friction.

Answer: I calculated 1.14 m/s^2 to the right. The answer is known to be between 1-2. If anyone can confirm my calculation it would be appreciated.

~Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Dooga Blackrazor said:
1. Why do tires grip the road better on level ground than they do going uphill or downhill?

I have some ideas, but I'm not sure how to word them, or if they are correct. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
The 'grip' depends on the normal force which is opposite to the component of gravity perpendicular to the road. When the vehicle is inclined by an angle [itex]\theta[/itex] from the horizontal, the normal force changes by a factor of [itex]cos\theta[/itex].

2. A mass M(1) = 3.5 kg, rests on a horizontal table and is attached by ropes to masses M(2) = 1.5 kg and M(3) = 2.5 kg. After is is released, what are the magnitude and direction of the acceleration of M(1)? Ignore friction.
I gather that M(1) hangs down off the table to the left and M(3) hangs down on the right and there is some kind of pulley with each (you should provide all the details).

Answer: I calculated 1.14 m/s^2 to the right. The answer is known to be between 1-2. If anyone can confirm my calculation it would be appreciated.
I get a different answer. Why don't you show what you did.

AM

For question two I did the following:

Object 1:

Fnety = 0
Fnetx = T = M(1)a

Object 2:

T- W(2) = -M(2)a
T = W(2) - M(2)a
T = M(1)a
M(1)a = W(2) - M(2)a

a = M(2)g % M(1) + M(2)

Then I substituted in #'s and repeated the procedure for M(3). I took the result from the left acceleration and subtracted it from the larger right acceleration.

Dooga Blackrazor said:
Object 1:

Fnety = 0
Fnetx = T = M(1)a

Object 2:

T- W(2) = -M(2)a
T = W(2) - M(2)a
What is W(2)? Weight? Why is it important?

T = M(1)a
M(1)a = W(2) - M(2)a

a = M(2)g % M(1) + M(2)
What is %? This makes no sense at all to me.

Then I substituted in #'s and repeated the procedure for M(3). I took the result from the left acceleration and subtracted it from the larger right acceleration.
Since the accelerations of all three masses are equal just treat all three masses as one mass. Then use the fact that the net force is (M3 - M1)g. It is that simple.

AM

W(2) = The weight of object two. The Fnet of object two is determined by -M(2)a because it is going down. The % is being used as division.

How can you make the masses equal when M(1) is ona table and the other masses are hanging from it. The higher weight of mass 3 is what pulls M(1) to the right, but M(2) has an acceleration which slows the acceleration to the right.

Dooga Blackrazor said:
W(2) = The weight of object two. The Fnet of object two is determined by -M(2)a because it is going down. The % is being used as division.

How can you make the masses equal when M(1) is ona table and the other masses are hanging from it. The higher weight of mass 3 is what pulls M(1) to the right, but M(2) has an acceleration which slows the acceleration to the right.
It is the difference in the weight of M3 and M1 that provides the acceleration to the system.

[tex](M_1 + M_2 + M_3)a = M_3g - M_1g[/tex]

[tex]a = g\frac{M_3 - M_1}{M_1 + M_2 + M_3} = 9.8 * \frac{1}{7.5} = 1.31 m/s^2[/tex]

AM

Ok, I've got it now. Thanks!

Related to Understanding Why Tires Grip the Road Better on Level Ground

1. How do tires grip the road better on level ground?

Tires grip the road better on level ground due to the larger contact patch between the tire and the road surface. When a tire is on level ground, the weight of the vehicle is evenly distributed across the tire's surface, allowing for maximum contact and friction between the tire and the road.

2. What factors affect tire grip on level ground?

There are several factors that can affect tire grip on level ground, including tire tread design, tire pressure, road surface conditions, and weight distribution of the vehicle. All of these factors can impact the amount of contact and friction between the tire and the road, ultimately affecting the tire's grip.

3. How does tire tread design impact tire grip on level ground?

The tread design of a tire plays a crucial role in its grip on level ground. Tires with a deeper and more aggressive tread pattern tend to have better grip on level ground as they can disperse water and debris more effectively, allowing for maximum contact with the road surface.

4. Is tire pressure important for tire grip on level ground?

Yes, tire pressure is important for tire grip on level ground. Overinflated tires can reduce the contact patch between the tire and the road, resulting in less grip. On the other hand, underinflated tires can cause the tire to deform, reducing its ability to maintain contact with the road surface.

5. How does weight distribution of the vehicle affect tire grip on level ground?

The weight distribution of a vehicle can greatly impact tire grip on level ground. When a vehicle's weight is evenly distributed, each tire can bear an equal amount of weight, allowing for maximum contact with the road surface. If the weight is not evenly distributed, some tires may have less contact with the road, resulting in a decrease in grip.