Understanding Work Integrals: Examples Explained

In summary, the conversation discusses questions about work integrals and the different types of problems that seem to be fundamentally different. Three examples are given and it is explained how the integration process is different for each one. The final example also introduces the concept of line integrals and how they are used to find the total work done. The conversation ends with a clarification about the definition of work and how it relates to potential energy.
Jefferson
I have a question about work integrals. I'm trying to reconcile using integrals to essentially multiply force by distance, but the fact that there appear to be multiple different types of problems that seem to be fundamentally different is making it difficult. Here are some example problems:

Example 1.
A cable that weighs 8 lb/ft is used to lift 650 lb of coal up a mine shaft 700 ft deep. Find the work done.

Example 2:
A cylindrically shaped tube has a circular base with a diameter of 2 inches and a height of 12 inches. The bottom of the tube is closed. The tube contains a liquid which is 3 inches deep and has a weight density of 62 lbs per ft3. What is the work done in pumping the liquid to the top of the tube?

Example 3:
A tank is full of water. Find the work W required to pump the water out of the spout. (Use 9.8 m/s2 for g. Use 1000 kg/m3 as the weight density of water.)
View attachment 1915

In the first example you find an equation for the force that is done and then integrate with bounds over the distance moved.

In the second example however, you find an equation for the distance a layer is moved, with a constant force multiplied in, and you integrate with bounds from one end of the substance to the other.

The third example seems to combine these two issues into one problem. In this case, the force equation and and the distance equation are multiplied together, but the bounds of integration are still over the substance moved and not the distance.

If someone could explain the differences in these problems, and what exactly the integration is adding up, I would much appreciate it. Specifically I would like to know why the first one integrates with bounds over the distance moved, and doesn't seem to include an equation for the distance in the integral (I'm guessing these are related, but I can't quite put my finger on exactly why), and why the second two examples integrate over the bounds of the substance moved instead.

Attachments

• Tank.png
    Tank.png
    3.4 KB · Views: 57
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to MHB! Thank you for posting such a well-worded problem.

Here's my answer: the work done by a force $ \mathbf{F}= \mathbf{F}( \mathbf{x})$ is given by
$$W= \int_{ \mathbf{a}}^{ \mathbf{b}} \mathbf{F} \cdot d\mathbf{l}.$$

This is a line integral over a particular path. So from this integral, you can see what needs to happen if the force is changing (such as it would for a spring, or for an irregular tank). But now suppose you can't ignore differences in path for different parts of your problem. You would then have to consider that the previous equation is only an infinitesimal chunk of work done by moving an infinitesimal chunk of stuff through its (now single) path:
$$dW= d \left( \int_{ \mathbf{a}}^{ \mathbf{b}} \mathbf{F} \cdot d\mathbf{l} \right).$$
Now, to find the total work done, you must integrate this expression:
$$W=\int_{\text{each path}}d \left( \int_{ \mathbf{a}}^{ \mathbf{b}} \mathbf{F} \cdot d\mathbf{l} \right).$$
This is what is really happening with your work problems.

One comment about your third problem: it will definitely have to have a distance moved in there somewhere. What expression do you get for the work done?

OK, I think I get some of what you are saying, but I'm still not totally clear. It is sort of like you are doing two integrals at the same time so that you can add up the two different quantities? What exactly is a line integral? Is the dl in the examples representing distance or is it the differential?

For example 3 I would integrate as follows:
\(\displaystyle
(9.8)(1000)\int_0^3 8x(5-x) \, dx\)
\(\displaystyle
(g)(\text{density of water}) \int_{\text{lower limit of substance}}^{\text{upper limit of substance}} (\text{area of a "layer"})(\text{distance the layer is moved}) \, dx\)

What it seems like this integral is doing is integrating to find the volume of the water and then multiplying that by density and gravity to give force and then multiplying by the distance. This must not be exactly right, though. I see that each layer has it's own path to travel, but I don't really get how this is added up in the integral.

Whereas example 1:
\(\displaystyle \int_0^{700} 8x +650 \, dx\)

\(\displaystyle \int_{\text{starting point}}^{\text{upper limit of movement}} (\text{the force on the rope, not exactly sure why x is included}) + (\text{force on the coal}) \, dx\)

It is much less visible to me what this integral does.

In case anyone is wondering I did finally find out how these problems are different. Some are using the definition of work as \(\displaystyle \int F \cdot \, ds\) whereas others, such as the tank problem, are using the definition of work as the potential energy change, i.e. \(\displaystyle E_f - E_i =\) Work, or \(\displaystyle mgh_f - mgh_i\). In the latter case the integral is adding up the work done in moving each layer from it's initial height to it's final height.

blazerqb11 said:
In case anyone is wondering I did finally find out how these problems are different. Some are using the definition of work as \(\displaystyle \int F \cdot \, ds\) whereas others, such as the tank problem, are using the definition of work as the potential energy change, i.e. \(\displaystyle E_f - E_i =\) Work, or \(\displaystyle mgh_f - mgh_i\). In the latter case the integral is adding up the work done in moving each layer from it's initial height to it's final height.

Right. Well, one of your fundamental physics laws is the Work-Energy Theorem:
$$W=\Delta PE + \Delta KE.$$
If your kinetic energy doesn't change, then the work you put into the system must increase the potential energy.

1. What is a work integral?

A work integral is a mathematical calculation used to determine the amount of work done on an object by a force. It takes into account the magnitude and direction of the force as well as the distance over which the force is applied.

2. How is a work integral calculated?

A work integral is calculated by multiplying the magnitude of the force by the distance over which the force is applied. This is then multiplied by the cosine of the angle between the force and the direction of motion.

3. What are some real-life examples of work integrals?

Some examples of work integrals in real life include lifting a weight, pushing a box across the floor, and pulling a cart up a ramp. In all of these situations, a force is applied over a distance, resulting in work being done on the object.

4. How are work integrals related to energy?

Work integrals are directly related to energy, specifically the concept of work-energy theorem. This theorem states that the work done on an object is equal to the change in its kinetic energy. Therefore, work integrals can be used to calculate the change in energy of an object.

5. Can work integrals be negative?

Yes, work integrals can be negative. This occurs when the force and the direction of motion are in opposite directions, resulting in the work done being negative. This indicates that the object is losing energy rather than gaining it.