Understanding Wormhole Solutions to the Einstein Field Equations

In summary: Could you please re-read the post and try to explain what you are confused about?It is what the author wrote. What you have written doesn't make...sense.
1v1Dota2RightMeow
I have to do a project on wormholes as solutions to the EFE, but I'm only and undergrad and have not yet taken any GR classes. I found a paper by Michael Morris and Kip Thorne with a derivation of a simple wormhole (many assumptions), but because of my lack of experience I can't tell what the final answer is. Could someone explain to me what the end solution will look like for this? I'm still in a basic understanding of physics (highest I've taken is Intro to QM, Classical Mech, and Intro to EM).

Here is the paper: http://www.cmp.caltech.edu/refael/league/thorne-morris.pdf

Physics news on Phys.org
1v1Dota2RightMeow said:
'm still in a basic understanding of physics (highest I've taken is Intro to QM, Classical Mech, and Intro to EM).
Which suggests that you want I-level (undergrad) answers rather than A-level (graduate level)? I've adjusted the thread level accordingly.

Nugatory said:
Which suggests that you want I-level (undergrad) answers rather than A-level (graduate level)? I've adjusted the thread level accordingly.
Well, I need help understanding the material in order to produce a 3rd year undergrad level presentation on wormholes as a solution to the EFE. Call it what you like :)

1v1Dota2RightMeow said:
Well, I need help understanding the material in order to produce a 3rd year undergrad level presentation on wormholes as a solution to the EFE. Call it what you like :)
Which parts exactly do you need help with? If you can tell us where you're getting stuck, we may be able to help you over the hard spot. You say that you haven't taken a class on GR yet, but how much do you know about the stuff?

Nugatory said:
Which parts exactly do you need help with? If you can tell us where you're getting stuck, we may be able to help you over the hard spot.

I guess I'll just post questions as they come up. I'm reading the above linked paper by Thorne and compiling the presentation at the same time.

My first question: I interpret his given spacetime metric (metric tensor) as an axiom of his proof. This is because he listed about 7 or so assumptions that he used to constrain the wormhole (he took the opposite way around and first described the wormhole and then is going to solve for the matter necessary to create said wormhole). Is this the correct interpretation? Any help that anyone can give is appreciated exponentially with no upper bound :)

Another question: how does the partial derivative work here?

upload_2016-12-1_22-21-11.png

I would have interpreted this as saying ##g_{\alpha \beta , \gamma} = \frac{\partial g_{\alpha \beta}}{\partial \gamma}## but clearly this is not what the author wrote. What am I missing here?

1v1Dota2RightMeow said:
I interpret his given spacetime metric (metric tensor) as an axiom of his proof.

Yes, that's correct. What he is doing is assuming a metric tensor that embodies the requirements he wants, computing the Einstein tensor of this metric tensor (which is just a series of mathematical operations, no assumptions required), and plugging that into the Einstein Field Equation to see what it implies for the stress-energy tensor, i..e, what kind of "stuff" would be required to produce such a wormhole.

Likes 1v1Dota2RightMeow
The author talks about needing to derive the Riemann, Ricci, and Einstein tensors. In the EFE, I know that the Ricci tensor is the ##R_{\mu \nu}## term, but which ones are the Riemann and Einstein tensors? I'd guess that ##R## is the Riemann tensor, but then I'd be at a loss as to which is the Einstein tensor.

For reference:
upload_2016-12-2_0-26-20.png

Attachments

• upload_2016-12-2_0-25-42.png
    upload_2016-12-2_0-25-42.png
    6.9 KB · Views: 479
1v1Dota2RightMeow said:
In the EFE, I know that the Ricci tensor is the RμνR_{\mu \nu} term, but which ones are the Riemann and Einstein tensors?

The Einstein tensor is the first two terms on the LHS of the EFE, i.e., ##R_{\mu \nu} - \frac{1}{2} g_{\mu \nu} R##. The ##R## is the Ricci scalar, i.e., ##R^\mu{}_\mu##. The Riemann tensor doesn't appear in the EFE.

PeterDonis said:
The Einstein tensor is the first two terms on the LHS of the EFE, i.e., ##R_{\mu \nu} - \frac{1}{2} g_{\mu \nu} R##. The ##R## is the Ricci scalar, i.e., ##R^\mu{}_\mu##. The Riemann tensor doesn't appear in the EFE.
Oh interesting! That's weird then because the author specifically mentions all 3 of them in one sentence. Seems kind of awkward.

upload_2016-12-2_1-24-39.png

The Riemann tensor is a four-index tensor that describes the curvature of spacetime. It doesn't explicitly appear in the Einstein field equations, but the Ricci tensor (##R_{\mu\nu}##) and Ricci scalar (##R##) are both derived from it.

1v1Dota2RightMeow said:
I would have interpreted this as saying ##g_{\alpha \beta , \gamma} = \frac{\partial g_{\alpha \beta}}{\partial \gamma}## but clearly this is not what the author wrote. What am I missing here?

It is what the author wrote. What you have written doesn't make sense.

1v1Dota2RightMeow said:
##g_{\alpha\beta}## is a function of ##x_0##, ##x_1##, ##x_2##, and ##x_3##. The notation ##_{,\lambda}## means partial differentiation with respect to ##x_\lambda##, just as the author says.

I strongly recommend that you take a few hours to read through Carroll's whirlwind tour of tensor notation: https://preposterousuniverse.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/08/grtinypdf.pdf

[Edit: when I first posted this, it was on a browser that didn't render Latex properly, so some errors in the Latex slipped by. I've fixed them now]

Last edited:
1v1Dota2RightMeow said:
That's weird then because the author specifically mentions all 3 of them in one sentence.

Yes, but he doesn't say they all appear in the Einstein Field Equation. Nor does he say the Riemann tensor doesn't, but that's because he assumes the reader already knows that it doesn't. Bear in mind that the paper in question is written for relativity experts, so there is a lot of background that the reader is assumed to have--more like A-level background (graduate) than I-level (undergraduate).

Likes 1v1Dota2RightMeow

1. What are wormhole solutions to the Einstein field equations (EFE)?

Wormhole solutions to the EFE are theoretical solutions that describe the behavior of spacetime in the presence of a wormhole. They are derived from the Einstein field equations, which are a set of equations that describe the relationship between the curvature of spacetime and the distribution of matter and energy.

2. What is a wormhole?

A wormhole is a hypothetical tunnel in spacetime that connects two distant points. It is often depicted as a "shortcut" through space, allowing for faster-than-light travel or the ability to travel vast distances in a short amount of time. However, the existence of wormholes is still a subject of debate and has not been proven.

3. How are wormhole solutions to the EFE different from other solutions?

Wormhole solutions to the EFE are unique in that they involve a "bridge" or tunnel connecting two separate regions of spacetime. This is different from other solutions that describe the behavior of spacetime in a more conventional manner, without the presence of a wormhole.

4. Are there any observable effects of wormholes?

Currently, there is no empirical evidence for the existence of wormholes, so there are no observable effects. However, some scientists believe that if wormholes do exist, they may have observable effects on the movement of light or the gravitational pull of objects.

5. Can wormholes be used for time travel?

The concept of using wormholes for time travel is a popular one in science fiction, but it is currently not supported by scientific evidence. The equations and principles that govern the behavior of wormholes do not allow for time travel. Additionally, the energy required to create and maintain a stable wormhole would be immense, making it highly improbable for practical use.